Thread: OIT Engineers Take 2nd Place at Local Tourney

OIT Engineers Take 2nd Place at Local Tourney

Yesterday, myself and four other guys that are Engineers at the Oregon Institute of Technology competed in the first ever Indoor Paintball Tournament held in Klamath Falls, OR. This was a huge step in the right direction for this town that paintball has been of little existence and the most it ever has been is recball out in the hills. This tournament, put on by Bowers Fencing and Swimming Pool Supply was held at the County Fairgrounds in a horse arena. 10 teams competed and one of the teams (Team Blackout) drove all the way up from Los Angeles, CA to compete.

Our team has been playing rec ball for awhile. I have the most experience out of all of the team members and a couple of guys on the team hadn't played but a few times before the tourney. We grouped together and worked as a team and played well all day. We won our first four games to move us into the finals, where we played Team Blackout, the guys from California. That was by far the toughest competition we both had all day. We were the two undefeated teams going into the finals and the game came down to 2 vs. 1 when our back player took out one of their guys and a few seconds after got taken out by their last guy. They were excellent competitors and if there was any team there I didn't mind being beat by, it was them. They definitely had us beat on experience by playing an average of 3 days a week all over the So. Cal area including SC Village. It was a pleasure playing against a team with such good sportsmanship.

In the end we went 94,100,92,78 in our first four games and 16 in the finals. We lost the flag pull on our last preliminary game, but the 3 backs and mid held it out and eliminated the team while I sat in the dead box.

The tournament went very well for a first time event and we should see more events like it soon in the future. There were some glitches that needed to be taken care of, but that's expected for a first time event. The reffing was sub-par, but the guys reffing had no experience, so it was expected. The only problem I had with the rules was that gun hits didn't count. It worked in my favor a few times since I took some gun shots off the break, but everyone had to play by the same rules so it was fair. I still couldn't help but to hammer hoppers and guns when they stuck out the side of a bunker with a rope of paint. I guess all I did was give them a bigger mess to clean up when they got home.

My E-Mag and AlabamaMan's RTP shot beautifully all day long. We were both using the short spring with LX and shooting Team Colors Playoff Series. The paint was 0-5 bounce with an average of 2 bounce. The temp was in the mid 30's inside before it started to warm up into the high 40's during the afternoon. (This is Klamath Falls, OR, mind you. In the mornings it's in the teens so 40's are considered warm during this time of the year.) The paint shot very well and I was putting out a straight rope of paint from the E-Mag and it seemed to be breaking very well on target even though the speed limit was 260fps.

One last note, the guys from So. Cal, (Team Blackout) were sponsored by the new paintball company Nexxed and a few of the guys were wearing their prototype pants and were very happy with them.

With that, here are some pics.

Right before the break:
    (I'm #12)

Scott(AlabamaMan) working the center back with his RTP:

Receiving our 2nd Place Trophy:
    (AlabamaMan in the center, myself to the right with the mask on top of my head)

Large Pictures:
    (I'm only going to post the links so this thread doesn't take half an hour to load for dial-up users. They are 1800x1200 pics.)

The E-Mag after a hard day of work:
    Blue-E

AlabamaMan on the left, myself on the right holding an RTP and E-Mag, respectively. We're the two guns on the team shooting AGD guns:
    AlabamaMan-BlackVCG

Our jersey's:
    Jerseys

Preliminary Round Score Sheet:
    Score Sheet

Finals Score Sheet:
    Score Sheet

Second Place Trophy:
    Trophy

Carter Pump belonging to one of the guys from Team Blackout:
    Carter Pump

Nice pics, congrats!

I also had a great time. It was my first true tourny experience and i couldn't have had a better time. Even though i have to say that my nerves were going over drive, i couldn't eat anything all day long. All i had in me all day was bottled water and a little gator aid.

For being only the second time that we had ever played togeather i have to say that the team played great. I couldn't imagine the rope of paint that BlackVCG was laying down out of his mid bunker. At one point at told him i couldn't belive that he was shooting semi.

I just can't wait to play the next one.

Scott

Congrats on getting second, especially with so little preparation playing together as a team. BTW, that guy's Carter is sweet looking.
    Silver ULE X Valved Mag
    Spyder AMG Classic
    ------------------------

Lots FS/FT! Barrels, pack, hopper and more! Click Here!

Congrats Black!!! I only wish I made it to the finals in my first ever tournment. BTW I have the Nexxed pants, they are sweet. I wont be able to wear them much long though.. conflict of sponsorship. Will be a sad day.

I just wanted to add this one last picture, it's of us after the break durring out second game (the one we went perfect) Blackvcg is the mid up front #12 and george #00 is the back in the front of the picture. I'm in the middle back, and rob is in the far back. As for out other guy he can't be seen, but his name is josh.

pennsylvania dental association(philadelphia)
    congrats guys, excellent job and awesome pics.

ken

skateboard=me=8 years

good traders:grey goose, coffeynitro, langrage, bond1313, flipirit, rogue factor, kirby, banziamf, thelar, BTautomag, Littmag, thilbo, dirtybunny, thing, xadamx

R.I.P Zach Daly

Arrright Stevie!
    Way to go 'Bama!

Very cool guys, congrats

good job black,u get to bunker anyone.

Originally posted by brian terry
    good job black,u get to bunker anyone.
    No, not really. I pretty much stayed in that mid-bunker all day. I did make a run down the right snake the first game and took out the last two guys, but they were towards the middle of the field. I just got the angle on them.

Congratulations. It's always good to hear about good local tournaments. We need more of those.

Hey Hitech your starting to sound like me! - AGD
    Hitech is the man.... - Blennidae
    The only Hitech Lubricant

Up one more time.

Congratulations on a great performance! I dig the numbered jerseys, but I can't understand why you would choose black as your team color

I would like to apologize for being incommunicado over Christmas break. December '02 was an insane month for both Amy and me, and we barely had time enough to Christmas shop let along get out of the house and have fun. Things have settled down now fortunately, (the Honda is repaired, Amy's neck is feeling better and the garbage disposal is fixed, whew!) so of course paintball is back on the brain. Blaine and I are hoping to squeeze in some rec-ball starting in March. Who knows, maybe even a tourney over the summer and definitely another paintball campout.

I hope we can get together during Spring Break (if you are heading back to Portland that is), I think some jumbo Helvetia Tavern burgers are in order, don't you? Yes, yes, my cholesterol count is much too low...

Last up, Tyson is driving down this coming Thursday with - you guessed it - the fully edited paintball campout video in hand (90+ minutes I do believe). He demanded watching it with me in person, the reason for the long delay, but has promised to bring multiple DVDs to pass out for everyone. If you email your school address to me, I will ship a copy to you ASAP. Let me know.

Hasta,

Matt