Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starving College Student Paintball Players (CONTEST) WINNER ANNOUNCED!!!!

Starving College Student Paintball Players (CONTEST)

I am firmly convinced that had I known about paintball back when I was in college ('84-'87), I never would have graduated. In fact, I don't have any idea how you college kids afford to play now.

In any case, my new black-to-purple fade X-Mag has just arrived this past week. This moves my beloved '93 IAO 2nd-place AutoMag prize marker (now tricked out in red splash) to reliable back-up. It also should move my former back-up AutoMag into retirement.

Now this marker set-up is definitely nothing fancy, but it has always been there when I needed it, and I don't like the idea of it sitting on a shelf somehwere gathering dust.

The set-up consists of an original 68 AutoMag PowerFeed (Probably '94 or '95 vintage), Air America Raptor 110 cu in/3000 psi nitrogen tank (re-hydroed in 2001), a couple of VL2000 Shredders, the original crown-point barrel, and a new aluminum Armson barrel. The set-up has a purple frame rail, sight rail, and vertical ASA; a cradle for the nitro system; a Venom Hi-Line; and all necessary hoses, including a slide-check. All of this equipment was won by me at tournaments over the years. AGD and paintball have always been good to me, and now I would like to give something back to a loyal AO user.

This brings me to my proposal. I am willing to DONATE all of this equipment (and pay for shipping) to the currently enrolled college student/paintball player who writes the best essay (300 words or less) describing why they should get this marker and what they intend to do with it (i.e., college team, tournaments, rec ball, scenarios, etc...). Post your entries as replies to this thread. All entries must include your real name, the name of your college, your major, and the year you expect to graduate.

Your friendly forum Moderator, cphillip, will be putting together a team of judges to help narrow down the selections, and I will make the final decision. The contest entries must be posted to this thread no later than March 3rd. The winner will be announced by no later than March 10th.

Can this include those of us who are planning on attending a university/college next fall? I mean, we have to be saving money too for college and especially with me having a job, my cash limits on paintball are pretty low also. Also, I would have to say that me being in my last year of highschool, am having to work very hard to keep my grades up in order to get into highschool. I'm not sure if you're aware but this year in Ontario, there is a Double Cohort, meaning twice as many highschool graduates are coming out of highschools because of the change in curriculum. There was a grade OAC (13) and now its cut back to grade 12. So the grade 12 and 13's are graduating in the same year, meaning only higher grade average's are going to make the cut. Anyway, I'm done ranting. (I'm 18 by the way, my birthday was last Friday)

bsolomon this is inspiring! I wish I was still in college, wait no, things are much better now! But still, Very Nice Gesture!
    PROTECTING FREEDOM SINCE 1989

Battlegroup

nice.. Im glad youre doing this! Good luck to everyone!

I play from left over money from my pell grants. That is money I never have to pay back
    Taking a long needed leave of the sport to finish school and tour the country

b2k3w/pds, vaporized, vapor valve, aka sidewinder, chaos chip, palmer rock lpr, CP barrels, 68/45 hyperflow

B2k3 w/pds and bunch of upgrades for sale

Is this cool or what?

So far Webby, Miscue, Rob and I are going to judge the essays. Maybe another one or two later. And we will recommend to B our top three picks. He will then have to sort through them and chose the final one.

OK! Spread the word!!!! Stickie this on up now...

AGD, where we are so good we can do it with only ONE tube!

cphilip.com

The dark side of Hell, FEAR THE "X", Rage Unchecked
    WOW.......I mean WOW. That has got to be the nicest thing I have ever heard of some one doing. This is terribly cool. Good luck to all entrants.
    e·vis·cer·ate v. e·vis·cer·at·ed, e·vis·cer·at·ing, e·vis·cer·ates v. tr.
    To remove the entrails of; disembowel.

"You'll still blame your failure on tiny little balls that don't functon properly." Captain kRYSYS of team plank walkers

Harbingers of your dying breath

Black to Red X-mag
    Black ULE-mag
    Evolved Ironman Matrix
    Tri fade E-class Orracle
    Black to Green Splashed Species
    Black to Blue AIM Jam Intimidator

bsoloman: YOU DA MAN!!

This is a great idea and gesture by you bsolomon. Just another reason and example as to why AO is the best forum on the 'net with its great atmosphere and closeness members have to one another. Good luck to all entries.
    Silver ULE X Valved Mag
    Spyder AMG Classic
    ------------------------

Lots FS/FT! Barrels, pack, hopper and more! Click Here!

I hereby withdraw my entry. I sure as heck don't deserve it nearly half as much as some other people here...
    Last edited by TheFlamingKoosh; 02-06-2003 at 06:01 PM.
    Hey Zero, how much did that Chipley cost ya?

Originally said by Boggerman When I got married I thought it would go down too... The insurance, not the wife.

FRUITCAT!!

hey cphilip, clemson students get special consideration right?

...oh.... they already won...cough cough!!! I mean um.....NO! Of course not!!!!

i love that idea man that is awsome

i could never be that genourous lol MY MAG

Well the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Paintball club could certainly use any equipment that you would choose to donate. Only myself and my other officers really have any equipment that is of decent quality. Southern Central Wisconsin is one large farming area, and the kids around here just don't have the money for paintball equipment. Students here at UW-Whitewater mainly particapte in sports with very little financial contribution required. So the various club sports which require decent fundingaintball, hangliding, hockey,etc. just don't have much in the way of membership. But if I could provide one more set of equipment to a fellow student, it would be one more member for our paintball club.
    If need be, I could personally pay for the shipping... Thanks.
    The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Paintball Team

"Bacon is not the only thing cured by hanging from a tree". (English Proverb)
    "One by one,the penguin slowly steals my sanity".

DM4

Jared Avery
    Genesee Community College
    Computer Science
    June 2006

During my entire high school career I played the awesome sport of Paintball. During that time, it was easy for me to play paintball because I had very few expenses. Now that I am enrolled in college, paintball is a lot harder to get around to play.

All through the week I work for 3 hours a night and I still manage my homework. On the weekends I try to go out and play paintball, but more times than not, I can’t play. The reason that I can’t play most of the time is because my current setup of a spyder doesn’t function properly. Other times I am totally broke, so I can’t afford to go out and play. When I do get a chance to go out and play, the gear that I play with is often picked on and inadequate.

I believe that if I were to win this setup, I would be able to sell my spyders and be able to play speedball and local tourneys a lot more. I love the sport, but it is the most expensive sport I have ever been involved in. The expenses that I have through college do not allow me to participate in many things. Paintball is the thing that I miss the most by starting my college career and paying my own way. If I were to win this, I very well may be able to win items in tournaments and eventually be as generous as you are.

Thank You.

My entry

Jordan McCann
    University of Wisconsin LaCrosse
    Photography
    May 2006

UW-L could be described as a barren wasteland when it comes to Paintball. During my entire first semester here I ran into only one other person who had ever played much less owned a gun. Everywhere I went I would see recruiting posters for sports ranging anywhere from Rugby to ultimate Frisbee, but, no Paintball. I was in withdrawal, and to make it worse had to sell my gun to pay for tickets, food, bills, ect.

One prominent organization on my campus (and many others) is the Campus Crusade for Christ. This Christian foundation is an outreach program for college students and one of the major aspects of the CCC , is Crossfire an outreach by college students to at-risk teens. One of the major problems with this sort of outreach is finding a connection that allows them to open up to you and be responsive to that outreach. One such connection that had measurable success in my hometown was a paintball outreach. I brought this to the attention of the local senior pastor for CCC and he was most interested but he was also a lot timid. His main worries were safety and the aspect of at-risk youth playing with “guns”. Without any of my equipment on hand to quell these worries, I had let the idea fizzle.

It is a new semester, however, and, with this equipment I can demonstrate to the lead pastor that paintball is the safe, team oriented sport it is and with his support we would have regular PB outings scheduled for Crossfire in no time. And with this added publicity through CCC, Paintball would undoubtedly spread (as it has a habit of ding) throughout UW-L as a wildfire.

HA HA 283 words, Woot!
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe in the sun. Not because I can see it, but because by it I can see everything else."
    -C.S. Lewis

if i didn't have to write a 12 page research paper and tons of other work i might do this

Washington... AKA 'Cocker Country... Come get Some!
    You got 'till march 3rd dude and how long could it possibly take to write 300 words? Go for it

My Trading Feedback

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
    -Edmond Burke

pffft...

If your writing a 12 page paper, these 300 words should be cake! I'm used to much bigger assignmnents too, it took less then 15 minutes to write that...

besides, you have until March 3rd to enter this one...

HAHAHA!!!
    ummm, wrong gun there Dawg...

Drink Wine

Talking

I could dream couldn't I.
    Sorry, I'm old

This is really nice of you. I live in Evergreen as well, i played with you that time we had an ao gathering at pba back in september(i had the rt with the polished inteliframe). I am also a college student, currently attending the university of california at santa barbara. We don't have a paintball team out here yet but i'm tyring to start one. I usually only play about once a month down at Urban Quest in Oxnard, if anybody knows where that is.

I'm not entering in this contest, i already have the rt and I'm giving other college kids the chance to own a mag, i just wanted to express my gratitude for performing such a thoughtful gesture.

Good luck to everybody.
    Last edited by jwren00; 01-28-2003 at 04:31 AM.

Bsolomon, that is quite a generous thing to do..what a good guy!

Re: Starving College Student Paintball Players (CONTEST)

Originally posted by bsolomon

This brings me to my proposal. I am willing to DONATE all of this equipment (and pay for shipping) to the currently enrolled college student/paintball player who writes the best essay (300 words or less) describing why they should get this marker and what they intend to do with it.

Wow man. That's crazy generous!

Great going Bsolomon. I wish I had known a guy like you when I went to college. Kudos on the PURPLE set up too. It sound very similar to my own PURPLE PEOPLE EATER.

C Mayhem

Notice: I am going to occasionaly clean this thread up to just the Essays posted on it. So please save a copy of your Essay in some form or fashion on your hard drive in case it gets accidently deleted. I do not expect to make a mistake but you never know. It will be your responsibility to periodically check and make sure yours is still here.

As far as I am concerned you may edit them up until a few days before the end of the contest. I will announce when no further editing is allowed to give the Judges time to read back through them for chosing finalists. Lets say three days before the final date most likely will be the editing deadline. You may still submit a first time one in those three days but we will have already read and scored the early ones at that point and will only then be reading any new ones so it will not do you much good to edit yours after that point.

Got it?

Very kewl. kinda familiar, though (I have done this many, many times already - hehehe) - This is a great way to support Paintball! - I laud your proposal, bsolomon.
    Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling, CPPA founder

Here is my user feedback thread. and my online jottings

i love it demon, i am one of the rejoicing simpsons fans.
    E-Mag w/ No-Rise lvl 10

Team Exotic Elements

Thumbs up

Wow, that was a good one ^

Sam Juengel
    University of Missouri-Rolla
    Management Systems

Hi. I’m Sam…and I’m an addict.

Well first off this is pretty cool of you. Maybe some day when I’m well off on my own I could return the favor to the community but as of right now I’m far into the negative financially. For starters I started playing paintball my senior year of high school. I spent all of my money on a model 98 package with mask, tank, etc. This is when I fell in love with the sport. From then on out I have spent every penny I receive on paintball, I can’t help myself. Motto: Food can wait, I need more paint! I have no job, no car, and my college is being paid almost completely on student loans.

As of right now a few friends and I are trying to get a paintball club started here at the university. It’s tough getting started we have a constitution ready, a staff advisor, a dozen or so students interested…just one problem. A lot of the people interested in the paintball club have never played before. My friends and I have our own guns but none of us have extra’s that the new people could use. Right now (believe me we’re not doing this to be mean) we have taken out a few of the new guys with brass eagle blades and stingrays. We just don’t have the money to be buying spare *decent* markers for new players to use. And now that one of our stingrays went berserk I’m not sure if we can use it anymore. How are we supposed to get new people in the sport if they have a bad experience when they try it out? (and believe me…a blade is BAD)

If I were to receive this gun, I would make it an official club marker. Anyone who wanted to play with us could use it so they know what playing with a REAL marker is like. I am certain this would get a lot more people (here at least) into the sport.

-Sam Juengel