Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Was Fred Schultz? Remembering Great Players from the Past

Originally posted by Muzikman
    For anyone who ever caught them at 3am in the morning, Fred did the commentary for World Cup that was aired on ESPN. I can not remember who the other guy was with him, and that is going to bother me all day until I remember.
    His name is Jerry Braun. He still carries a bit of "juice" in the tournament world. It comes from being executive editor (actually, owner, I think) of Paintball Sports Int., as well as owner of PSP, and he has something to do with that little thing called NPPL (the real one).
    Time is what keeps things from happening all at once

i searched fred shultz on a yahoo people search

http://phone.people.yahoo.com/py/psP...&Search=Search

well who wants to start calling
    also look at those masks, jsut goggles

www.TeamNever.com

in the early 90's i opened the first paintball field on the SF penninsula. it was a 34,000 square foot indoor field called 'hyperball'. it only lasted for about two years before the overhead killed us, but in that time the ironmen started playing there in the off-season(pre 'sc' or 'bob longs' ironmen). when my field shut down i went to work for a guy who owned a field in a place called 'american canyon' near vallejo calif. his name was art gonzales(anyone who knows fred schultz or bob long or mike from maire island pb should know art gonzales, think 'bay area open 1994'), he owned and ran a field called 'primetime paintball' it was on the same stretch of property as another field called 'carpet bobs' who he was once in partnership with, now carpet bobs field is called sherwood forest or somethin like that. anyway, i remember playing with fred, bob, and art at primetime in the early 90's. if you doubt this testimonial then look at the front of my hopper in the picture below, that is a mid-90's constant-pursuit patch. its the one with the skull and the two lighting bolts on the top. i"ll try to post a better pic of it as soon as possible.

ps. art closed his field when he was paralized while bicycling on a mountaintop highway(skyline blvd, san mateo)hwy 92. he and his wife gladys where mentors to a lost young man and excellant friends, unfortunatly i lost touch with them for a while. the last time i went back home i went to his house(san bruno)and was able to tell him how much he ment to me. he has since moved to san diego cal. i moved to texas and i have once again lost touch with them. heres to old friends!!
    Last edited by rjvemt1; 02-18-2003 at 09:02 PM.

I think if you played paintball before 1998, you would have known Fred Shultz. I bought his video on Basic Paintball in 95/96 and then stared to recognize his name in magazines and his face on ESPN when they covered paintball and he was commentating. My impression of him was that he loved the sport, wanted to make it mainstream, and that he was a great ambassadeur of the game. Tom is right when he says it's sad his name has been forgottened.

Fred Shultz kind of reminds me of the character of Moe Green from GodFather II. "Moe Green was the first to start building a city which is now known as Las Vegas, and there is no sign, plaque, or statue to honor his name." See the comparison??

Originally posted by rjvemt1
    Now carpet bobs field is called sherwood forest or somethin like that.
    Close, The guys involved with Mike run Sherwood forest, Bob's is Paintball Jungle. Otherwise everything else sounds accurate.

BTW, It appears that Fred really has dropped of the face of the earth. "Carpet" Bob hasn't heard from him in about two years. When he got out of a contract with Brass Eagle he wasn't "allowed" to do anything in paintball for two years. That was about two years ago.

I'll keep trying...

BE Video

Look what I found. Came with my first gun (stingray, but if you ask me in public i'll deny ever owning it) about 5 years ago.

Originally posted by Mighty Mike
    ...and then stared to recognize his name in magazines and his face on ESPN when they covered paintball and he was commentating.
    That just kicked up a forgotten memory...

1999 World Cup, I sat behind a table at the edge of a field with Fred doing event commentary for Traumahead. I never even saw that tape, but I've had people say to me "hey, you're that guy who was talking to Fred Shultz on that tape."

See you on the field,
    -Bill

'94
    BEZERKERS
    ALL MAG SHOOTING TEAM

check out freds sweet*** mullet!

that was in Facefull... october 2k2
    So much history for such a young sport
    AGD
    Another Great Design....
    Little Help

And you know what Fred was telling me in that pic?

"Congradulations on winning the tourney Tom!"

Yep, my team took first, that was in Paris.

AGD

very cool... I'm overwelmed in nastalgia(sp) and loving it

i saw that you were using a mini with a single trigger in another picture in the same article... looked like the same tourney... What was the name of your team there?

pic SaS was refering to: nice loader

I still use that loader!! It looks like the 100 round version but i have the 200 round loader. Bought it back in 94 and it hasn't let me down yet.

We should start an old school paintball pictures thread..

Hey.

I may be wrong but, I remember seeing an episode of ”MTVs Road Rules” (dont remember what season) where the cast played paintball as one of their missions. And I belive Fred Schultz was giving the orientation. Did anyone see that episode to confirm?

Danz

OOPs! A little back-tracking answered me question. No more posting after a 14 hr. day. Me eyes are failing me.

Danz
    Last edited by Danz; 02-24-2003 at 10:41 PM.
    I just woke up one day to discover I was . . .“old school”.

Don't forget OFG parts

Since this is a Mag site, besides his signature series air system, he also produced some items under O F G (Original Fred Gear) for Automags. Looked really nice even by todays standards. I can't remember all of them, but I still own one of the foregrips with a built in barrel plug. Anyone remember the other items (frame/stock?) Any old pic's....

I still use that loader!! It looks like the 100 round version but i have the 200 round loader. Bought it back in 94 and it hasn't let me down yet
    me too! as a matter of fact all i have ever had to do to it is some soldering maintainence! i took that front cup off, put a round kitchen sponge in its placeand put one of those neoprene covers on it and have been runin it for ten years! its the feeder in the pic below and thats the constant pursuit patch on the front!

i have the brass eagle video hosted by fred..
    I am willing to sell it or trade it .. it could be a collectors item?? hmm..
    my aim name- kinkbykes123

Long shot, but could this possibly be Fred now? I haven't seen him in a real long time...
    Ben Kohnen, Limited Pump Paintball
    www.geocities.com/limitedpump

So basically to sum it all up, Nobody on these boards have the slightest idea where the paintball icon fred schultz is?? Intresting...
    ~Charbs~

hmmmmmm, smells like sm1 might know something

One of the old AGD mags I just pulled out is a 1993 edition with Tom on the front with a mag.

The odd thing is that the steel braid hose from the CA adapter to the regulator is coiled. I guess that's what some people used to do before they got expansion chambers.

The other funny thing is that he's wearing just goggles with no face mask! I don't know if I'd condone encouraging people to play with just goggles. However, that's how people used to play back in the day I guess.

I even have a 1988 AGD where the gun packages came with shop goggles. OMG.

Come back and say hi Fred

I was lucky and got to hang with Fred many times. He truly was an ambassador to the sport and is missed by many.Here is a pic of him on the cover of APG from 94

i swear i've seen him in a movie......
    Currently the 186th top poster on AO!! member# 13650
    Feedback

"... i splooge when i touch it
    ~Ultimatepaintballer

Fred should come back into the sport, it could use more people like him he is one of the reasons I got into paintball in the early 90s. I saw an old tape at my cousins house in 94 and it had him playing and talking on it. His enthusiasm and love of the sport got me interrested. He played w/ great honor w/ is becoming more of ararity these days. Maybe he just needed a little brek or ran into trouble in life. I think he will surface again though.

Where the beer is deep. The forest is funny colored. Cloud nine is a thought away.
    You know the scene in MIB II when the little locker people are saying "all hail J"

Hrm... well its a long shot but ugh...

"All hail Fred"
    "All hail Fred"
    "All hail Fred"
    I tried.

Ill call the first 3 numbers on that list there... err..
    AO #765
    CCM Series 5
    Prerelease Impulse
    Hyperframed Warped Mag w/flatline tank
    Feedback.

Good to know that somone of Tom's status seeks "relief" from a sport he helped create. A sport now ruled by a single patent.

Did you get my mail????????

Ok Fred if you get this far you have to post..PLEASE

I might have contact, time will tell.

Fred Schultz

First of all the rest of those guys in the tights at New York Street in Disney World were Todd Nessle (head down) from Vents Goggles and Tim Schloss (red hat) from Tiger Stripe. The Tiger Stripe coat was not a sport coat, but a tuxedo, which Fred, Tim and Chip Kuhrt (Swarm) had custom made and wore that evening to the AGD party.

I was a judge at that 1994 Disney production which was the 1st major paintball event ever televised on ESPN2 and was the biggest rating for the entire weekend of any show they aired that weekend. Talk about a great guy, Fred paid for all of our expenses - both teams, all judges and families - back page stage passes for Disney World, air fares and private cottages on the lake at the Marriott. That's just the kind of guy he is.

Tom, you should post a photo of Freddy's team in their black leotards.

By the way, Fred is alive and well, living in Vallejo, California and I have a current phone and email...but, I'm sure you have those, already, Tom. I am going to try to get him to come to the spring Big Game at Paint Ball Sams in Racine, Wisconsin. He has family in the area and we usually covered his expenses, so he seldom has turned us down.

I think he still plays at fields in the California region, especially at Meir Island (SP?).

An interesting story: Fred got a knock on the door one day. His daughter answered and told her dad some guy named Joe was at the door. The guy wanted to try paintball and wanted to get a feel for the game from the best known player in the country. They still play on occasion together, as far as I know. As a good friend of mine, Fred knew my wife had a thing for Fred's new paintball friend and so, one day, Fred FedExed an autographed photo to my wife from Joe Montana.
    IADSPBP

Now Whos This??

Any body else know who this OLD S.O.B is. Fred, Tim, Chip, old S.O.B.s we need a reunion.