Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Who Was Fred Schultz? Remembering Great Players from the Past

I just came into possession of one of his signature series tanks. Kinda cool to stumble across this thread.

Fred Schultz

Quote Originally Posted by victor13
    I just came into possession of one of his signature series tanks. Kinda cool to stumble across this thread.
    Now, if we could only stumble across Fred. Got to be 5 years since anybody heard from him.
    IADSPBP

I know a guy who...

Last weekend I headed out to a field I hadn't visited in 2 years (had a bad experience the last time). As I'm signing in, I see a number of OLD Fred Schultz pictures on the wall. As I'm marveling at the time warp, I spot Tim Schloss, Mr. Tiger Stripe, working behind the pro-shop counter. I had thought Tim had dropped out of the industry years ago to race power boats or some-such. Turns out he ha done that, then bought a bar, and now owns this field. The die-hards jut can't leave the sport.

Naturally, we got to talking about the old days. He says he has talked to Fred as recently as a fe weeks ago. He apparently had a tractor accident some time ago, and was laid up for a while, but is doing well now. Tim offered me Fred cell number. I declined, but at least I know how to get word to him if need be.

Shives

Quote Originally Posted by shives007
    Last weekend I headed out to a field I hadn't visited in 2 years (had a bad experience the last time). As I'm signing in, I see a number of OLD Fred Schultz pictures on the wall. As I'm marveling at the time warp, I spot Tim Schloss, Mr. Tiger Stripe, working behind the pro-shop counter. I had thought Tim had dropped out of the industry years ago to race power boats or some-such. Turns out he ha done that, then bought a bar, and now owns this field. The die-hards jut can't leave the sport.

Naturally, we got to talking about the old days. He says he has talked to Fred as recently as a fe weeks ago. He apparently had a tractor accident some time ago, and was laid up for a while, but is doing well now. Tim offered me Fred cell number. I declined, but at least I know how to get word to him if need be.

Shives
    Well, that isn't going to help us track him down. But, seriously, great to know he is still around. Got a name for the field that Schloss owns or a phone number? Last time I saw Tim was a good 10 years ago at a Big Game in Missouri. In fact, Fred was there and Tom Kaye. Tim was a limited sponsor for the S.O.B.s for a couple years. Tiger Stripes was a big sponsor of Swarm for a few years, too, I believe.

Biff

Tim offered me Fred cell number. I declined, but at least I know how to get word to him if need be. Shives
    What Get that number and PM it to me or Old S.O.B. At the least get Tims email and send him this link.

Quote Originally Posted by Old S.O.B.
    Well, that isn't going to help us track him down. But, seriously, great to know he is still around. Got a name for the field that Schloss owns or a phone number?
    Ya roger that.

Sorry about being a bit vague there guys. I didn't want the man swamped if he is staying out for a reason. I'll forward the info to Tim and let him give it to Fred. If he wants to be mobbed by his adoring fans, I'll let it be on his terms.

Shives

I've just been wondering what he was up to. We had lots of good times with Constant Pursuit. Remember that time in Oregon...

If you speak to time let him know I said hi.

Larry De La Briandais

Hey Hitech your starting to sound like me! - AGD
    Hitech is the man.... - Blennidae
    The only Hitech Lubricant

Tim has taken over Bushwackers (info@bushwackerspaintball.net) here in St. Louis. Based on the other weekend, he has certainly brought it back from where it was when I played there a couple of years ago.

Shives

shives forgot to mention the AO great known as chronobreak is also the new manager which likely had much to do with the fields turnaround.

we got big plans for the place and business has picked up to an all time high in the last month.

kinda OT but theres a bunch of old tapes of fred tim brought in im looking to have turned into dvd's and archived/uploaded online.

i think shives remembers more about fred from tim, but he did say something about just talking to him a few months earlier

Yes, I did neglect to mention that important detail. As great a guy as Tim may be, I think he probably needs someone to get in there and sweat the details. Fortunately, he has Chrono as a #2.

Shives

I saw this, and thought of the thread:

Someone's selling one of Fred's Signature series tanks for relatively cheap:

http://z1.invisionfree.com/forums/St...howtopic=25604

Quote Originally Posted by AGD
    He had enough pull to get a paintball game into Disney World. I don't mean out behind the fence, I mean in MAIN STREET USA where they filmed us shooting each other. The ends of the streets were netted off and the Disney public watched it go down. If you go there today you might still see where we blew the corners off the foam buildings. This whole thing was setup for a paintball video, one of the first professionally done.
    here is that vid
    http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?t...nnel=604385394

also wondering what did the FS mag have that was different from the others?
    i love old custom mags....but in this forum...who doesnt

Any word of Fred Schultz? After reading this thread it has got me interested in where the heck he is at.

Who Was Fred Schultz? Remembering Great Players from the Past

Quote Originally Posted by steve_81
    Any word of Fred Schultz? After reading this thread it has got me interested in where the heck he is at.
    As far as I know he is still at Orchard Ave., in Vallejo, CA 94581. But, I can't get a reply. Email me at GTOUSPL@aol.com and I will give you his contact info and you can give him a try.

Biff

Biff,

Curtesy of "Mr. Tiger Stripe", I have a slightly different address for Freddie. Are you trying to call him? I think Tim talks to him occasionally.

Shives

Biff,

Curtesy of "Mr. Tiger Stripe", I have a slightly different address for Freddie. Are you trying to call him? I think Tim talks to him occasionally.

Shives
    Hey Shives,

I was just out in that area - Manhattan Beach, L.A., San Clemente, San Diego and Coronado, after Mexico, Tucson and Phoenix. Got back Tuesday after 6 weeks of partying with a lot of old friends in a lot of places. I wish Tim would let the rest of the world know something about Fred. I stopped trying to find him, several years ago. The address I have was good back then. I suppose if I had tried to mail something and he had moved less than a year prior, I might have got a forwarding address from the post office.

Freddy knew how to take care of you. The tv incident that TK was talking about was July 4th weekend of 1994 and Fred's partner used to work with Disney. They flew about 20 of us out there and put us all up in private cabins on the lake at the Marriott. We had back stage passes to everywhere on the Disney lot and great seats for the fireworks that evening.

Then they closed New York Street to public access, moved a bunch of buses and cars from old movies out there. The teams wore bright colored uniforns and the judges wore the first black & white stripes in paintball. Tom's team played against Fred's team and some of us judged. ESPN 2 had the highest ratings for a weekend and suddenly paintball was on the map. There was so much potential for the game to become a sport back then.

But, the big fish in paintball wanted to stay big and kept paintball isolated and profitable for themselves. And today, the players still pay to play and, by design, big outside sponsors like Bud, Coke or the airlines, etc., get only minimal representation.

Greed killed this sport from ever reaching it's potential and so, by the late 90's you saw most of the old guard hang up their markers and migrate away, while the leaches and parasites stayed in the sport to suck the players dry. Tom sold AGD, Freddy disappeared from the face of the planet, Dave sold ViewLoader, Rose left Unique, Marty got squeezed out of Scott, Vents is gone because they put Scott and JT to shame, Budd walked away from WORR Games Products. Of course, there are good people still in it, today, like Tim, Glen Palmer, Rick at Morgan Awards, the guys at Paintball Mania Supplies, Dale Hilton, Dennis Ashley and others. I think Joe West may still be at J&J. But, paintball is over-run with users and cheaters who never saw the potential or who were afraid to take it to the next level. A selfish generation of takers, took over and everyone loses. If tv had taken off and spectators had been encouraged to come in, the big boys would have followed with money for everyone to advance and profit.

Ahh, but once again, I digress. Give me an email address and I will send you what I got. I am still at GTOUSPL@aol.com

Biff
    Last edited by Old S.O.B.; 06-24-2008 at 08:43 AM.

il talk to Tim tommorow and see if i can get any update or possibly on a long shot get fred to head over here and give us one himself instead of us all harrasing him individualy.

\if you come to our field the first thing you see when you walk in is a large poster of Fred

Chrono,

Thanks for jumping in here.

Is the field OK? I got lots of pictures from Terry a while back and it looked like you'd need your air tanks to breathe more than to power your gun.

Shives

Chrono,

Thanks for jumping in here.

Is the field OK? I got lots of pictures from Terry a while back and it looked like you'd need your air tanks to breathe more than to power your gun.

Shives

Fields doing good, business is holding strong which is unusual for this time of the year, the summers usualy dead but well see how it holds out for the next 2 months.

im not following ya on the air tanks.

we have been making lots of maintenance and improvements finaly, but its never ending, once you get one thing done another problem comes up or something breaks.

The pictures Terry sent me showed water everywhere. Tanks for SCUBA not for paintball. The weather has been pretty nice, when it isn't raining. Not too hot to play yet. Just wish I could find time to play.

Shives

oh, haha

dam hangovers

yeah it was flooded bad for a while but its all dry now and we got all the debris cleaned up

Sorry for my ignorance on this subject even though i started playing in 1996, but did Fred Schultz give a reason why he left? or did he just stop attending paintball events and go out that way? It just amazes me that someone who was such a part of the sport disappeared from the scene.

honestly the only Company i have faith in anymore (aside from AGD) is Tippmann. If anything happens to them as a company...im out.

I used to support WGP but they have proven over and over again that they are nothing more then just a name these days, with no customer service and defective crap products.

I think Fred got hurt (not paintball related) and it gave him time to step back. I hate to speak for him, but that is what I see. I was loosely in w/ industry folks for a while. Having a kid has given me a bit of distance that I didn't have. I play for fun. Nothing more now. I do hope things come around in a few years before my son gets involved. At least there is a good group of locals (Total Grief rules!!)

Shives

I think Fred got hurt (not paintball related) and it gave him time to step back. I hate to speak for him, but that is what I see. I was loosely in w/ industry folks for a while. Having a kid has given me a bit of distance that I didn't have. I play for fun. Nothing more now. I do hope things come around in a few years before my son gets involved. At least there is a good group of locals (Total Grief rules!!)

Shives
    Total Grief are some good eggs. Only had one real run in with them playing on Paintball Daves Bezerkers back in the day. All nice folks. We did a big game in St Louis and made our paint ball film debut throwing Fred Schulz in the pond. Ahh the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by kurtisqpublic
    Total Grief are some good eggs. Only had one real run in with them playing on Paintball Daves Bezerkers back in the day. All nice folks. We did a big game in St Louis and made our paint ball film debut throwing Fred Schulz in the pond. Ahh the memories!
    That was a great day. Fred captained our team and we set up a great take down. Chip Kuhrt took his guys low and I took my guys over all the hills. When Chip heard us engage he would turn in and come up on their flank. We did 3 hills and were exhausted, so we waited. I had to control my guys from shooting and we laid very quietly - with our sights on the next hill. Along came the other team and we waited until they were standing all along the ridge like ducks. I told this one 10 year old kid that they guy in black was Dave Youngblood and I told the kid he would take the first shot on my signal. When their hill was like ants, I yelled out and the kid lit up Youngblood like a Christmas tree. We cleaned off that hill and Chips guys came up from the flank and got all the straglers. But Marty Busch from Ironmen had snuck down into the valley and he cleared a few of us off our hill, before 50 guys overwhelmed him.

The first award to get handed out was a brand new Automag to the kid that shot Youngblood. I have never seen a kid with a bigger smile. And then we all tossed Fred in the pond. lolol That was a fun weekend.

Did Tim (Tiger Stripes) Schloss own that field, back then?

Biff

Quote Originally Posted by Old S.O.B.

Did Tim (Tiger Stripes) Schloss own that field, back then?

Biff
    Pretty positive that it was owned by Tim Schloss back then. My mini-cocker was being less than "healthy" that weekend but it was still fun! That weekend was also where my affinity for the phantom pump began.

the old bushwackers field? i believe that was owned by Todd Albrecht who owned the current BW until Tim purchased the assets roughly 2 years ago now.

--anyone who lives in the area should stop by the field and say hi

www.bushwackerspaintball.net
    Last edited by Chronobreak; 08-22-2008 at 04:31 PM.

check this out

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bcpid823335521

heres the Disney game if you never got to see it:

<embed src='http://www.brightcove.tv/playerswf' bgcolor='#FFFFFF' flashVars='allowFullScreen=true&initVideoId=111346 5176&servicesURL=http://www.brightcove.tv&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://www.brightcove.tv&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&autoStart=false' base='http://admin.brightcove.com' name='bcPlayer' width='486' height='412' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' seamlesstabbing='false' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' swLiveConnect='true' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash'></embed>

right on!
    i guess the old link...is old

Where is Fred Schultz?

[QUOTE=DamianTC]check this out

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bcpid823335521

heres the Disney game if you never got to see it:

Great video, DamienTC!!! That was the very first time Paintball was ever televised. Fred paid for everyone - both teams and the judges. And when I say paid, I mean for everything. We were all flown in from every part of the country to Orlando. We were all given private cabins on the lake at the Marriott. We had back stage passes to anywhere we wanted to go at Disney World. It was the 4th of July weekend in 1994 and we had front row seats to the fireworks show. Our meals were covered. Our transportation around Orlando was covered. We even had production assistants (PAs) to get us whatever we needed. And we got to perform on New York Street in Disney World on ESPN2.

The host, David Sparks was kind of a "look at me, but don't mess my hair" ham, but a nice enough guy. The actual video was closer to 45 minutes, not including commercials from the sponsors. There were 3 games played. The Corporate All Stars won the second game and then there was a playoff tie-breaker final which Fred's team won.

Fred's team - Constant Pursuit, including, among others, were Fred, Wolff, Randy Kamiya and Bart.

Corporate sponsors included, Tom Kaye from AGD, Jim Anderson from the NPPL, Todd Nessler from Vents, Tim Schloss of Tiger Stripes, Dennis Tippman of Tippman Pneumatics, Dan Colby of Air America and Rene Boucher of Paintball News.

The refs, among others, included Ed Lapanus #2 from Wild Geese of New England, Jerry Braun #1 from Paintball Sports, Chip Kuhrt from Swarm, and myself #3 from the S.O.B.s with the light blue AGD hat and yellow Vents.

We were there for 5 days, as I recall and it was an attempt to show what a huge potential paintball had.

FYI: This was the direction that myself and Steve Davidson wanted to see the sport head when we created the GTO and later the USPL. The hope was to see large corporate sponsors paying for everything, bleachers filled with spectators and a strong television presence, in order to make the sport affordable to the players. We developed a couple of patents to make that happen. But, we could not overcome the self interests of those who wanted to control the game for their own personal profit. Even our game format for TV was infringed upon. The X-Ball you see today, is actually a watered down version of the patented USPL format that was developed specifically around TV and debuted on Adrenaline TV in the fall of 2000 at Paintfest 2000. What happened to ViewLoader, Vents and others signaled things to come. And a lot of good people got out of paintball because they were tired of the politics. Today we see a once vital NPPL, filing for bankruptcy. I believe that had the industry been more focused on the overall future of the sport and the players, rather than their own bottom line, this sport would be thriving, in spite of this economy.
    Last edited by Old S.O.B.; 12-07-2008 at 03:04 PM.