Thread: Who Was Fred Schultz? Remembering Great Players from the Past

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Who Was Fred Schultz? Remembering Great Players from the Past

Quote Originally Posted by kurtisqpublic
    Total Grief are some good eggs. Only had one real run in with them playing on Paintball Daves Bezerkers back in the day. All nice folks. We did a big game in St Louis and made our paint ball film debut throwing Fred Schulz in the pond. Ahh the memories!
    That was a great day. Fred captained our team and we set up a great take down. Chip Kuhrt took his guys low and I took my guys over all the hills. When Chip heard us engage he would turn in and come up on their flank. We did 3 hills and were exhausted, so we waited. I had to control my guys from shooting and we laid very quietly - with our sights on the next hill. Along came the other team and we waited until they were standing all along the ridge like ducks. I told this one 10 year old kid that they guy in black was Dave Youngblood and I told the kid he would take the first shot on my signal. When their hill was like ants, I yelled out and the kid lit up Youngblood like a Christmas tree. We cleaned off that hill and Chips guys came up from the flank and got all the straglers. But Marty Busch from Ironmen had snuck down into the valley and he cleared a few of us off our hill, before 50 guys overwhelmed him.

The first award to get handed out was a brand new Automag to the kid that shot Youngblood. I have never seen a kid with a bigger smile. And then we all tossed Fred in the pond. lolol That was a fun weekend.

Did Tim (Tiger Stripes) Schloss own that field, back then?

Biff
    IADSPBP

Quote Originally Posted by Old S.O.B.

Did Tim (Tiger Stripes) Schloss own that field, back then?

Biff
    Pretty positive that it was owned by Tim Schloss back then. My mini-cocker was being less than "healthy" that weekend but it was still fun! That weekend was also where my affinity for the phantom pump began.

the old bushwackers field? i believe that was owned by Todd Albrecht who owned the current BW until Tim purchased the assets roughly 2 years ago now.

--anyone who lives in the area should stop by the field and say hi

www.bushwackerspaintball.net
    Last edited by Chronobreak; 08-22-2008 at 04:31 PM.

check this out

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bcpid823335521

heres the Disney game if you never got to see it:

<embed src='http://www.brightcove.tv/playerswf' bgcolor='#FFFFFF' flashVars='allowFullScreen=true&initVideoId=111346 5176&servicesURL=http://www.brightcove.tv&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://www.brightcove.tv&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&autoStart=false' base='http://admin.brightcove.com' name='bcPlayer' width='486' height='412' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' seamlesstabbing='false' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' swLiveConnect='true' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash'></embed>

Where is Fred Schultz?

[QUOTE=DamianTC]check this out

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bcpid823335521

heres the Disney game if you never got to see it:

Great video, DamienTC!!! That was the very first time Paintball was ever televised. Fred paid for everyone - both teams and the judges. And when I say paid, I mean for everything. We were all flown in from every part of the country to Orlando. We were all given private cabins on the lake at the Marriott. We had back stage passes to anywhere we wanted to go at Disney World. It was the 4th of July weekend in 1994 and we had front row seats to the fireworks show. Our meals were covered. Our transportation around Orlando was covered. We even had production assistants (PAs) to get us whatever we needed. And we got to perform on New York Street in Disney World on ESPN2.

The host, David Sparks was kind of a "look at me, but don't mess my hair" ham, but a nice enough guy. The actual video was closer to 45 minutes, not including commercials from the sponsors. There were 3 games played. The Corporate All Stars won the second game and then there was a playoff tie-breaker final which Fred's team won.

Fred's team - Constant Pursuit, including, among others, were Fred, Wolff, Randy Kamiya and Bart.

Corporate sponsors included, Tom Kaye from AGD, Jim Anderson from the NPPL, Todd Nessler from Vents, Tim Schloss of Tiger Stripes, Dennis Tippman of Tippman Pneumatics, Dan Colby of Air America and Rene Boucher of Paintball News.

The refs, among others, included Ed Lapanus #2 from Wild Geese of New England, Jerry Braun #1 from Paintball Sports, Chip Kuhrt from Swarm, and myself #3 from the S.O.B.s with the light blue AGD hat and yellow Vents.

We were there for 5 days, as I recall and it was an attempt to show what a huge potential paintball had.

FYI: This was the direction that myself and Steve Davidson wanted to see the sport head when we created the GTO and later the USPL. The hope was to see large corporate sponsors paying for everything, bleachers filled with spectators and a strong television presence, in order to make the sport affordable to the players. We developed a couple of patents to make that happen. But, we could not overcome the self interests of those who wanted to control the game for their own personal profit. Even our game format for TV was infringed upon. The X-Ball you see today, is actually a watered down version of the patented USPL format that was developed specifically around TV and debuted on Adrenaline TV in the fall of 2000 at Paintfest 2000. What happened to ViewLoader, Vents and others signaled things to come. And a lot of good people got out of paintball because they were tired of the politics. Today we see a once vital NPPL, filing for bankruptcy. I believe that had the industry been more focused on the overall future of the sport and the players, rather than their own bottom line, this sport would be thriving, in spite of this economy.
    Last edited by Old S.O.B.; 12-07-2008 at 03:04 PM.

I remember Fred was every where back in the early and mid 90's. You couldn't open a paintball magazine with out seeing him. He even had a signature series tank from air america. He was also the MC for the Amatuer Open players party for a few years. I think it was in 97 he just didn't show up to MC. He was there at the tournament but he was a no show for the players party and after that Fred just disappeared.
    Last edited by XM15; 12-10-2008 at 10:18 AM.

great thread

I recently came across my AA signature series tank, and wondered what happened to Fred.

I too started playing in the early 90's and as stated before he was in everything. HOpefully he will make a comeback. Even if it is just for a big game or charity event.

Where are the Old CP members?

Just found this thread when I was looking for my old teammates in the web.

Where is Captain Fred nowadays? Did anyone manage to find him? Where are the rest of the old CP team of Pat, John, JD, Bart, Hawk (Kevin), Animal, Rich, Ed, Mich, Kim, Paris, Eric and Wolff? I already know where Larry, Carpet Bob and Art are.

We need to do a reunion, guys.

CP, Hong Kong.