Thread: I hate Air.

I hate Air.

I hate tanks, fittings and line.

All of it.

I am TRYING to loctite some ss fittings with some line, there is ALWAYS a leak. I cover the thing in loctite basically, screw it on, wait 45 minutes. Then, BOOM, leak.

Discuss.

try something other than loctite. i bought some of this stuff at lowes and it works great, kinda messy though.
    Email Adio755@Hotmail.com AIM Adio755
    The PB Trading List

sup IR

Try 3 turns of teflon tape.

When putting it on the fitting, hold the tape in your left hand, and turn the fitting in to the tape as if you were screwing in the fitting.

That keeps the tape on the fitting while you install.

Then trim any excess off below the last thread so that it doesn't get in your air system. I usually do this by running a sharp blade through the last thread and a gentle tug on the tape pulls off the excess.

Loc-tite should be left for hours. You may want to try blue instead of red if you aren't doing this already.

Blue is like glue. Red actually causes a chemical reaction with the steel almost like an oxidation weld inside.

If you have nickled brass on one side and steel on the other the loctite may not be setting up properly.

-rob

TAG Factory

Powered by:
    http://www.TheAngelGuy.com
    http://www.RegulatorsOutpost.com (Largest Paintball Field in Northern GA)

I've heard that teflon tape is unnessesary with high pressure fittings because its just not going to hold up under the conditions??? not 100% sure...

how do you get fittings off that are red-loc-tighted on?!?!?!?!?!
    [*img]http://www.browndotdesign.com/Xodus/AO/YeahThatsMe.jpg[/img]
    Image too large- Tato

hmm

It is necessary. I use it on all my fittings. If not used properly you can slip bits of it into weird places in your air path.

Too much loctite does the same thing.

The holes for air fittings are not always perfectly round. The thread standard is also a tapered thread (1/8npt).

Many times a fitting will not seal without loctite, liquid teflon, or teflon tape unless you screw it in so hard you may damage the threads in the aluminum body of whatever you are screwing it into.

Originally posted by -Xugg-
    I've heard that teflon tape is unnessesary with high pressure fittings because its just not going to hold up under the conditions??? not 100% sure...

Originally posted by yeahthatsme
    how do you get fittings off that are red-loc-tighted on?!?!?!?!?!
    Turn him..

Hmm, yeah, I got a teammate bring teflon tape, this stuff is annoying.

BTW, I am using the red 'extra strength' stuff. Two SS pieces. This time, I put soo much extra on, it oozed out .. heh

ONE WORD

TEFLON Tape,make sure when you wrap it ,the end of the tape should point at your left hand,other wise when you put the parts togeather,the tape will unravel. then cut off any excess outside the joint.Its pretty simple

Get the purple locite 545. Its designed as a sealant not a thread locker. Seals leaks, but remains easy to remove.

I usually do teflon tape (the gas line type) plus the loctite 545. Probably overkill, but no leaks yet.

-=Squid=- Guest
    Originally posted by -Xugg-
    You heard wrong, our field owner (and I) use only teflon tape, I never really get leaks, and it works just fine. We rarely use loctite on air fittings.

I also use the yellow teflon tape made especially for gas fittings. It's thicker and stronger than the white stuff and less prone to tearing apart and sending bits of stuff into your valve. I have never had problems.

Moorewatch

If you read this, thank a teacher.
    If you read this in English, thank a soldier.

Dude,

DO NOT use red or blue loctite on air fittings. It is thread lock, not thread sealant. Purple Loctite is thread sealant and should be used.

Teflon Tape, while cheap and convenient is only rated for very low pressures (sub 100psi), Purple Loctite is rated for far more pressure (1000+psi IIRC).
    2k2 VF Cocker, STO/Eclipse Blade, Old-Style 14" Boomstick,
    68AutoMag Classic Feed CF11023, Ring trigger.

You may need new fittings, I'm pretty sure they are tapered threads, If they are removed/retightened often, they could be wore out.

To remove red loctite you need a torch, or lots and lots of muscle and leverage

you generally have to wait several hours for loctite to work well... just 45 minutes and it will leak everywhere
    Hey
    AIM: FalconGuy016
    BANG!!!

i use Liquid Teflon Pip Sealant, Just put a little dab in a few spots around the fitting, and screw it in, and tighten down, when it dries it is just like teflon tape, it is easier and i think better than teflon tape

Re: I hate Air.

Originally posted by irbodden
    I cover the thing in loctite basically, screw it on, wait 45 minutes. Then, BOOM, leak.

Discuss.
    There's the problem. 45 min? I'm pretty sure the package says to let it sit overnight before gasing up.

Super Moderator at Pbreview.com

Teflon tape...

I have been using teflon tae for years, but after reading all the posts about loctite, I decided maybe I should get some. Messy and you have to wait. Stick with teflon tape. Works perfectly and is easily removed.
    Feedback

For Sale Link

Retro MAG for sale

Back in the Bronx again baby!

o.k look locktight is supposed to be used for keeping torque on a bolt. not for sealing. "Loc-Tight" makes a special Thread Sealing liquid, think it is purple, might want to check that out instead of using actual "Thread Locker"

I mean you guys are taling about using Red Locktight, I mean Geez, I use that stuff work, And i have you use an Impact to break them loose.

Two words:teflon tape.
    [Something Cool is Here]

Re: Re: I hate Air.

Originally posted by Halliday

There's the problem. 45 min? I'm pretty sure the package says to let it sit overnight before gasing up.
    Says it's sealed in under 20

Well its not you need to wait a few hours

Should wait overnight.Never use red!Red is supposed to be permanent!

Yeah, teflon tape is the way to go if you ask me. I might look into getting some purple loc-tite though. Too bad I'm nearly broke

Good Traders: SupaTravis, Joeyjoe367, biker, Zenwood, arabian ape, beefstew, timmy63, ah137, kilaueakid, Will Wood, Remington, DicksonDood23, CPhilip, Fritzy, Dirtybunny, LittlePaintballBoy, JadedT, ChucktheMAGician, TheFlamingKoosh, lgavin
    My Feedback Thread
    Out of the sport... missing it.

There is no loc-tite in my home.Only rolls of teflon tape!

Couple o things.......

68/4500 Geddon.... Running 900 into my RT Original (now 800ish into my SFL).... Macroline, ProConnect 3, small round case of "Teflon Thread Seal - 1/4" wide, u get 520", and its like 3-5 bux.... have had this one role for years, works wonders. all ya need if ya tape up the fittings right.

~da baller