Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting faster makes you better?

Shooting faster makes you better?

Ok, first off I want to say that I mentioned this in another post about equipment, sorry for breaking off.
    Everyone is going to want to say that your ROF is not going to make you a better player...a gun doesnt create skill etc...SKill is in the player..yadda yadda yadda...
    IF that is true, than why are people saying it is hard to compete against warp fed mags?
    Why dont people use pumps against semis?
    Why would the millitary spend billions of dollars to have greater firepower (ROF, explosion radius, snitchs, air, navel, etc...)if it was all about the soldier?

The reason is ROF, equipment makes a HUGE difference. A gun that doesnt break paint (level 10) and shoots over 20 ball/second WILL make a HUGE difference vs. a spyder.

I am willing to upset the masses and say that this game is 50% skill and 50% gear. IF we ALL had the same gear then it would be 100% skill...but most people dont play stock, they want that advantage...admit it now people, we ALL like to be special /pat ourselves on back.
    Heh, we are all elitists..after all we are mag fans!

Craig egg

I guess i agree to a point, shooting faster doesn't make you a better player, but it increases the chances that you'll land a good accidental hit... If you throw one average shot at someone, you do have much less of a chance of hitting them than if you shot 30 fast shots towards them. Equipment does make a difference- accuracy depends on pressure/ valve/ reg consistency, etc. and playing against a group of players of the same level with superior equipment will have the odds in your favor. BUT if someone's a much better player than I am, it doesn't matter too much what the equipment is, I'm done for.

-j
    sigs are overrated.

Statistics

You could also add mere stats to the picture. If target "A" shoots "X" amount of paint at me, and I shoot 5"X" at target "A", statistically I have an advantage. Yes, there are other factors you must rule in (cover etc) but the fact remains.

CraigEgg

Overly simplified.

And if you want to use the military as an example, you might think twice. The Military has actually gone the opposite way and focused on precision munitions and weapons over mass firepower. You are confusing one aspect of the overall picture with the greater picture at hand. Look at all the major weapons systems and you will see what I am talking about.

Yes, mass fires are used, and are an important part of “warfare”, but that is only a small part of it now days. You also have to consider WHY and WHEN that is used.

Again.. sorry… you oversimplified the situation and are missing too much of it to make a valid argument.

As for Warp Feeds… it is not just ROF that makes them what they are…. it is the ability to reduce profile, shoot at odd angles, etc.

And people DO use pumps against semis. They just don’t usually do that in a tournament. And that is because the difference between the two is HUGE, not only is it ROF, but it is the stability of the marker when aiming/firing. Think about it.

www.ShartleyCustoms.com
    Custom Paintball Products and Accessories
    CLICK HERE to Check out our PDU SERIES GEAR!

its more like a paper cut that has primadonna's yelling murder... - Glickman

Playing with a warp, and playing against people that have warps. I still don't see a decisive advantage for someone with a warp. I don't find it hard to play against someone with one at all.

So your saying by shooting a case/kill it makes you a better player? I think the way everything is going with ROF paintball will eventually lose its appeal to the masses, at least tournament play. It is when the emphasis turns from team work and playing smart to who can sling more paint and spend the most money.....

my 2cents
    Taking a long needed leave of the sport to finish school and tour the country

b2k3w/pds, vaporized, vapor valve, aka sidewinder, chaos chip, palmer rock lpr, CP barrels, 68/45 hyperflow

B2k3 w/pds and bunch of upgrades for sale

I don't want to be able to shoot 20 balls per second so that I can shoot a stream of twenty balls in one second. I want it so I can shoot 5 balls in 1/4 of a second.

Each ball increases the chance of a hit and break, an a smaller time frame gives my target less opportunity to dodge.

Thats ROF form a front players perspective.

the main difference between real life and game is this. In military situation, you are limited to what you carry. Typically 12 clips (360 rounds) is a load for infantry. The reason military went to .223 caliber was because it is lighter. also soldiers has to carry full pack all day long, forced march, etc..

Paintball is a game. Lets not lose sight of that. with its own rule. It is designed so that slinging lot of paint is an advantage. (also good for the manufacturer and field owner) Will game be different, if there is limit on paint that player can carry? I think it would make it more fun. takes more thoughts/planning, etc. how about per team limit, rather than person limit. that way team can divvy it up the way they feel is best utilized also, dead can leave the paint where they were killed. will it improve the game? I think so. less spray and pray , more deliberate firing.

Washington... AKA 'Cocker Country... Come get Some!
    I wouldn't say that being able to shoot faster directly effects your skill level. Moving around, finding angles, etc.. has nothing to do with your gun. Heck, you could run around in a speedball game and do exactly that, but you'd never score eliminations without a gun.

10 bps or 14 bps may or may not make the differance between getting the elimination you worked hard, moving around and communicating to get. You have a statistical advantage, as was already stated.

Warp Feeds, again, give you a statistical advantage. By reducing your profile, it decreases the chance of getting hit.

All this "Rate of Fire" crap is due to the inheriant(sp?) innaccuracy of a sphere traveling at muzzel velocities of 300 fps. Accuracy by volume is the only way to go in this sport, and it's not going to change until our medium ( a new ammunition ) changes.

My Trading Feedback

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
    -Edmond Burke

Why would the millitary spend billions of dollars to have greater firepower (ROF, explosion radius, snitchs, air, navel, etc...)if it was all about the soldier?
    You are comparing apples and oranges here. Modern-day paintball has absolutely nothing in common with the military. Like SHartley said, you can't really make a valid argument comparing paintball to the miltary.

... to who can sling more paint and spend the most money.....
    Paintball has been like that since day one. It was about who can buy the most 10 round tubes and 10 grams at one point but the same logic can be applied. This is the entire reason that paintball is where it is today. People weren't satisfied with Nel-Splats, so the arms race began.
    The only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage.

Okay, look at this scenario:

there are two of me, one shoots an RT at 6 balls a sec, the other shoots an e-mag at 12 balls a sec. Lets say that one out of every 4 balls bouces and doesn't break. Both of me pop out of of their respective bunkers for 1/2 seconds of snap shooting. With the e-mag 6 balls are travelling at the opponent and with the RT 3 balls. Say I only land a third of my shots when snap shooting. Now two shots land using the e-mag and only one with the RT. Take the bounce stat from earlier and the RT me has a 75% chance of getting an elimination and the Emag me has two chances at 75% to get the elimination.

Equipment makes a difference, but once you get past a certain threshold level the returns you get from increasing it drops significantly. On the other hand it is improvement you can buy and if you're really close to the top, every bit helps.

My buck fiddy

Dont give me this scenario crap... Geez I am sick of hearing some of this stuff. Scenario's are not valid arguments

Originally posted by Quiet
    Okay, look at this scenario:

there are two of me, one shoots an RT at 6 balls a sec, the other shoots an e-mag at 12 balls a sec. Lets say that one out of every 4 balls bouces and doesn't break. Both of me pop out of of their respective bunkers for 1/2 seconds of snap shooting. With the e-mag 6 balls are travelling at the opponent and with the RT 3 balls. Say I only land a third of my shots when snap shooting. Now two shots land using the e-mag and only one with the RT. Take the bounce stat from earlier and the RT me has a 75% chance of getting an elimination and the Emag me has two chances at 75% to get the elimination.

Equipment makes a difference, but once you get past a certain threshold level the returns you get from increasing it drops significantly. On the other hand it is improvement you can buy and if you're really close to the top, every bit helps.

My buck fiddy
    Uh, wow, congratulations you just applied a bunch of random crap to a random scenario. Sorry, but you're better off just deleting that post. I don't see how you proved a point at all.

EDIT: Paintball is nowhere near to all those statistics you just pulled out of nowhere. Getting a bonce is completely random and half the other stuff you mentioned are just made up. You can't argue using hypothetical situations. If for some reason you had a point to posting that please make it more clear.
    Last edited by Ultimator; 03-05-2003 at 04:35 PM.

Re: Shooting faster makes you better?

well speed doesn't reflect skill, speed really is only a supression thing, to keep that kid w/ the pump from coming out and hitting you w/ 1 ball, you're gonna shoot 15/second at his bunker. speed is over rated, yes, we all want to shoot faster, but the only reason why we want to shoot faster is just so we can say we can...braging rights nothing more. you see it all the time, horse power in cars is a good example, why do you need a car w/ 400 horses when the speed limit is only 65(75 in the south) on the highways? because you can, and because you then have braging rights

Originally posted by Bubonic Plauge
    why are people saying it is hard to compete against warp fed mags?
    there's more to a warp feed than just a fast feed rate, such as different shooting angles. you never hear any 1 complain hor hard it is to compete against some 1 w/ a halo when they both feed at the same rate. i think most of the warp issue is in their head...that big thing on the side of their gun is what's doing the work...it's easier to say that then just say damn, that kid's better than i am
    AIM- TheJester493 IM me some time

take a look at my minimag ....
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...threadid=64837

Tell me this LAW - if the marker doesn't make a difference, why is it you a ponying up the cash for an SFL

Ultimator - The point was not to prove a point, the entire purpose of that was to get you guys stirred up. Regardless of any statistics/proofs/facts people can and will throw together any argument that supports their personal belief.
    P.S. I have never seen a good argument that shows that with all other things held equal a better marker won't help your odds.

I have yet to see anything decisive to one side or other. I use a retro-mag because I know I can trust it to do what I need and have seen no clear argument for me to throw more money to make myself better.

Originally posted by Quiet
    Tell me this LAW - if the marker doesn't make a difference, why is it you a ponying up the cash for an SFL

Ultimator - The point was not to prove a point, the entire purpose of that was to get you guys stirred up. Regardless of any statistics/proofs/facts people can and will throw together any argument that supports their personal belief.
    P.S. I have never seen a good argument that shows that with all other things held equal a better marker won't help your odds.

I have yet to see anything decisive to one side or other. I use a retro-mag because I know I can trust it to do what I need and have seen no clear argument for me to throw more money to make myself better.
    I have a simple answer for that, because i have the cash. I am going from an emag to an sfl emag... same exact marker

I also play with a tracer pump from time to time. But the answer to your question is because I have the cash to spend...

there are so many variables involved
    that it'd be silly to say what percentage is what

of course better equipment in general will help your game(or if you're a pessimist, it'll be less likely to make you worse )

rof is only a tiny chunk of everything it is to be able to play this game well.
    as is marker profile...sure it helps but it won't win you a game by itself

you have to also factor in the marker's accuracy(which includes valving, consistency..etc), reliability and ability to not break balls. The quality of the paint, which also affects accuracy and ball breaks(both inside your gun and on the player you're trying to eliminate)

and most importantly, you have to factor in the players skills. A short list of player skills include:
    running(which in itself includes both speed and quickness), snapshooting, shot accuracy(in general), strategy, decision making...by far an incomplete list but you get the idea

the point is
    don't worry about analyzing it so much
    just get out there and play
    too many kids see this emphasis on equipment
    they see a thread like this where people are saying it's 50% skill 50% equipment
    "mommy bought me an angel, im half way there already"
    grrr

i will say there are certain pre-requisites for equipment
    but i don't count rof as being that high on the list
    id like to see more posts about
    "does the dependability of my mag give me an advantage?"
    TheDuelist "The problem is that Tom has developed the VW Beetle of the paintball industry. It's almost too good to change and far too reliable."

There is WAY too much emphasis on equipment. As long as the marker is comfortable and works, its all up to the player. There are still SO many people who suck and have tons of high end gear, it obviously doesnt make the player any better.
    OSK