Thread: easy way to remove stickers from my new (used) car...

easy way to remove stickers from my new (used) car...

I recently acquired a Toyota MR2 (1992, I think), and it has some stickers on it.

The ones on the windows I got off pretty easily with a razor blade. there is one huge one accross the top of the windshield, but since I will be replaceing the windshield (it's cracked), I won't even try to remove it.

Fortunately the "R", and "street racer" stickers and the Japanese writing stickers were on the windows and I was able to remove them easily.

The ones that concern me are on the body of the car. I started to use the razorblade, but didn't get far, cause I didn't want to scratch the paint all up. Any suggestions?

Please don't make this a ricer/anti-ricer, flame thread. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I am an old-fart and I really don't like those kind of stickers. I will probably have some like little splats, maybe some Palmer Pursuit ones and AGD, etc... but some of these stickers are for products that aren't even on the car!

Anyone think it would be a bad idea to put magnetic USA flags on each door? (about 5x7, centered just below the window)

I would take some pictures, but we have been having alot of snow/slush/rain/ice lately and I want to clean it up a bit first.
    Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling, CPPA founder

Here is my user feedback thread. and my online jottings

hey a mister 2! mmmm twin turbo goodness.

Go to an auto parts store. I forget the name, but it's in the cleaning/polish section. You just wipe this gel crap on and let it sit for awhile. Then just wipe it off. Doesn't hurt the paint job though.

Depending on how long the stickers have been on the paint job might have faded around them though.....

Congrats, they're fun cars! Good luck and if it's turbocharged don't drive it too hard or you'll have to replace the seals quickly.....

Xen Guest
    well im not sure if this will discolor paint, but that Goo be gone stuff (smells like oranges) removes stickers very well. You just put it on and let it sit for a few mins and it just dissolves the glue.

I would try it on a non noticable part like inside of trunk or something to see if its safe for paint.

WD40 also works well.

It often depends on the thickness of the sticker, what type of glue they used, and how long it was on the vehicle.

I have found that if I can get at least one corner off, I can slowly take it off using WD40 and a razor blade… but it normally has to be a thicker sticker (hey that rhymes!).

You can also try… Goo Gone
    http://preview.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?id=327686

You can also try this… Un-Du Adhesive Remover
    ” Use it on glass, plastic, metal, paper, upholstery, and even clothing to remove stickers, duct tape, name tags, etc. Un-Du's friendly formula neutralizes adhesives for easy removal and then evaporates, allowing you to reuse your favorite stickers and labels. It works on contact without soaking and will not stain.”
    http://www.dickblick.com/zz249/09/pr...m=0&ig_id=3712

Here is a nice page with lots of suggestions…
    http://www.stretcher.com/stories/980820b.cfm

And there are other things… hope some of this helps.

www.ShartleyCustoms.com
    Custom Paintball Products and Accessories
    CLICK HERE to Check out our PDU SERIES GEAR!

its more like a paper cut that has primadonna's yelling murder... - Glickman

Kewl!
    thanks, I have some goo-gone window cleaner, so I know what that is, but I don't have the thicker stuff. I'll see what I can do when I get home after work today and let you all know how it turns out.

As the sign/auto graphics guy here I'll chip in my 2 cents.

If you use the razor to pick up a corner you should be able to peeel off the whole sticker, or a chunk of it, and generally leave very little glue behind. If the stuff is snapping it could be coldoutside and vinyl gets brittle. Flash it with a heatgun or a hair dryer to warn it up. Goo Gone is just a brand name of citric acid and is safe on cars so long as the paint is'nt old or oxidized. We've used the same stuff for years. Spray a bit on there. let it sit for a minute, and use one of those cheap plastic scrubby pads, that you use for dishes, to get the glue off. You'll want to clean you car after that though. It's still an acid and you don't want it sitting there forever. Plus it leaves and oily and gross residue.

Moorewatch

If you read this, thank a teacher.
    If you read this in English, thank a soldier.

...yea WD 40...heat....all good... If you have left over glue or something nothing works better than Xylene...

And if these are Aluminum/Pot Metal type Badges or something like that, held on with 3M adhesive you need to get off then sawing through the backing with heavy Monofiliment fishing line to remove the badge and then Xyelene to take the adhesive off is the best route.

AGD, where we are so good we can do it with only ONE tube!

cphilip.com

Xylene is a pretty hot chemical though, have you tried in on a car? That would make me pretty nervous but I have'nt tried it. That does'nt hurt the paint?

Ipilled some of that on my shoe once and within 20 minutes it felt like my foor was on fire. Chemically burned my big toe.

I am 1% sure that a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and 5 year old Brandy would do the trick...
    Founder of the Pie Haters Revolution!

Good Traders: DoctorStox, BoomerFoxtrot

Originally posted by Load SM5
    Xylene is a pretty hot chemical though, have you tried in on a car? That would make me pretty nervous but I have'nt tried it. That does'nt hurt the paint?

Ipilled some of that on my shoe once and within 20 minutes it felt like my foor was on fire. Chemically burned my big toe.
    Sure I use it all the time. Great tar remover. No it will not hurt the paint at all. And yes I use it on car paint a lot. So do many body shops. Now if you were to soak a rag with it and leave it on the hood for hours it might soften it. And then if you were to rub that around it would. But wiping and even vigourously whipeing...no it will clean it right up. Toluene actually is even a little better but you have to be a little more brief with that. But either one is good and will not hurt it with that kind of application that I described. Unless you do what I cautioned against and soak it for HOURS. Do not do that! A lot of the better bug and tar removers are Xylene and Toluene.

But as you learned....wear gloves! Or foot gloves...well...don't spill it on your feet! It will burn and irritate the skin. Nasty stuff realy.

Well cool I'll remember that. Definately learned my lesson about that foot thing. I spilled a bit on my shoe and it soaked into my sock a little bit. I did'nt notice until I smelled bacon.
    Last edited by Load SM5; 03-07-2003 at 07:13 PM.

*Sigh* I guess my idea wont work then...

Originally posted by Load SM5
    Well cool I'll remember that. Definately learned my lesson about that foot thing. I spilled a bit on my shoe and it soaked into my sock a little bit. I did'nt notice until I smelled bacon.
    hehe...Well I once spilled a bunch of Paint thinner on my crotch and it scalded the boys pretty good before I could get outa them clothes. I was moving a drum of used paint thinner and I tipped it on its side to roll it over to another spot in one of my chemical storage sheds. I didn't realise that they had not tightened down the bung on it. It kind of got hung in one of the slats in the floor grateing and dumped back on me. I caught it but the leaking bung was stitting right on my lap and fluid was pouring out and wicking into my pants. By the time I could get my balance and heave it back upright I was soaked. I then had to make a dash to the building and strip off and hit the safety shower naked. And thats cold water too but by that time it was burning pretty good. I had to get myself a pair of Tyvex coveralls out and dress in them because my clothes were soaked and ruined. And the Boys was pretty hot about it too! Was not comfortable for a few days....