Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: IRAQ THREAD originaly "Seems at least one Brit agrees with me....er us."

Getting way off topic here but I'm willing to bet you that American Indian teenagers thought they new everything as well.

I saw an Indian movie recently (from India) that had an Indian family. The teenagers there were acting just like over here. Arguing with their parents. Telling them that they if they didn't like them "talking to them that way then they just wouldn't talk to them at all!" People are people! Well except those Aussies since they are descendents from convicts (just kidding...) Time to go to bed! Wasted enough time here arguing with crazy college kids/aussies/war mongering republicans. Can't help it though. My wife just rolls her eyes when I try to debate with her. Those women might be wiser than us after all!!!
    ULE Body Level 10 Automag intelliframe + retrovalve

LOL........the mongrel is way better than the so called purebred

Originally posted by aaron_mag

Higher education is a necessary part of our society. Nippinout! Go out and enjoy some counter culture. I want to see you posting about your new found vegetarian lifestyle!
    ARG!!! Don't get me started on the hypocrisy that is veganism.

I love meat. More specifically, I love bacon.

I don't need more counter culture, I get enough of it just walking around campus.

Liberalism is a persistent vegatative state.
    Originally posted by Collegeboy
    It is funny Facts, no one has proven me wrong yet. Not you here or on that other site, and not anyone. Please show me where I have been proven wrong. Again you seem so good at making statements but shy away when I ask for proof.
    Every post you make. Tell me again how Israeli kids are open game. So far that's my favorite....

Re: Re: Collegeboy

We in the US can sit back in our leather desk chairs, drinking our coke, and eating a big fat steak and be like it is their problem. We are fine, they are bad. They bring it on themselves, they are naturally evil. But once you get out of that comfort zone you get to see how stupid that is.

You try being force to live like they do, you try being forced to grow up where you are constantly being prejudice against and see how you come out of it. All they want is a better life, all they want is the right to have a state of their own as was promised to them. SELF DETERMINATION.
    I will NOT act like I should hide my head in shame because I live in a country that has EARNED the things we have. I will not sit back and hide my head in shame because I HAVE the thing I have.. because I have EARNED them.

You must have been rich your whole life to have a mindset like you have. I came from VERY poor parents. I didn’t even have a TV in my house until I was almost a teenager, before that it was a radio. I had to eat left over school food that my father would bring home from working (he was a janitor for the school system). I earned every penny I have, and every “luxury” I possess.

You also take one side of a situation and discard everything else. You argue from convenience. Go ahead and continue to feel “bad” for terrorists. Go ahead and justify their actions. No one here is saying we don’t understand the pressures they have, but we will not condone or excuse their terrorist actions… EVER. I can tell you what I would do if he United States was ever like that… I would LEAVE. And if you don’t think that is an option for people, you are fooling yourself.

I am not “tied” to the land I live on. I have lived all over the world and know that no matter where I live, it will be HOME, because I make it so. And no patch of dusty dirt would cause me to stay in a place that I didn’t like living in. These people have a choice. Every person on this earth has a choice. And too many do the RIGHT thing to excuse those who do the WRONG thing.

www.ShartleyCustoms.com
    Custom Paintball Products and Accessories
    CLICK HERE to Check out our PDU SERIES GEAR!

its more like a paper cut that has primadonna's yelling murder... - Glickman

Points of interest and FACTS….

France has refused to back many Cold War decisions made by the UN in favor of NATO.

France has declared, on the open floor of the UN, that Saddam is the most evil ruler since Hitler… to include and over Milosovich(sp?), who plays an important part in the next fact.

France and Germany had NO problems with, and even encouraged/begged for, the US action in Cosovo(sp?) during the Clinton administration without UN approval to remove Milosovich(sp?) from power. Yet even according to them, Saddam is even worse. Again, I must stress that they flat out stated that this action should be taken no matter WHAT the world opinion was or if the UN backed the actions or not.

Also during the Cosovo(sp?) actions, Clinton had 15% less support (by the American People) for those actions than Bush has for the Iraq actions now.

Now, this is all very interesting indeed. Folks can make their own conclusions from these facts, and how it relates to what is happening today. Allies? I think that term is tossed around too freely these days. I would personally set the bar a bit higher for that title.

I think folks need to stop focusing on the United States and wanting to vilify US, and look at the other “players” in the game. And this goes for terrorism as well. I can “understand” if a dog bit a child if the child was pestering it relentlessly… but I don’t “excuse” that action, or pass it off as all the fault of the child. I would try to fix the problem, but I would hold the DOG directly responsible for its actions and discipline it accordingly. And guess what, there are some dogs that would bite no matter what environment they are in.

The Cold War also was a great global stabilizer. And without clear cut sides and a common “enemy”, people will turn on themselves or anyone they can. Love may be nice, but as a unifier it is pretty weak. Hate on the other hand is about the strongest bond out there. And terrorists are a good example of that. They could care less what they are hating, just as long as they can hate. Even more so, people who hate each other can bond to strike against someone they both hate MORE. Funny how that works, isn’t it? And there is no “rationale” that can explain this, or “logic” that can change or combat this way of thinking. And anyone who thinks they can “think”, “rationalize”, or “talk” their way out of this problem is just fooling themselves because the other side could care less.

Re: Re: Re: Collegeboy

Originally posted by shartley

You also take one side of a situation and discard everything else. You argue from convenience. Go ahead and continue to feel “bad” for terrorists. Go ahead and justify their actions. No one here is saying we don’t understand the pressures they have, but we will not condone or excuse their terrorist actions… EVER. I can tell you what I would do if he United States was ever like that… I would LEAVE. And if you don’t think that is an option for people, you are fooling yourself.

I am not “tied” to the land I live on. I have lived all over the world and know that no matter where I live, it will be HOME, because I make it so. And no patch of dusty dirt would cause me to stay in a place that I didn’t like living in. These people have a choice. Every person on this earth has a choice. And too many do the RIGHT thing to excuse those who do the WRONG thing.
    Amen Sam, Amen! Argue this point CB!

Your earlier post to me about what would I do? I would fight for my freedoms, but not as a murderer of women and children. Also, please tell me that you were not comparing refugee camps to concentration camps. That would be an insult to any survivors of the holocost. This current uprising has taken about the same number of lives between both sides as 9/11 did in 20 minutes.

It is all well and good to question authority, but do it for a purpose beyond "just because". Propose solutions, don't just attack them.

As for the college argument, I don't think anyone was for closing down higher education. I think that since CollegeBoy already knows everything, he is just wasting his parents money at U of Alabama. Quick CB, jump into the job market while you still are omnipetant!

Their are extremely wealthy Arab countries surrounding this conflict. They could very easily alleviate the suffering of the Palestinian people. Saudia Arabia, Syria, Egypt, Iran, Jordan, Kuwait, Qatar, and even Iraq can send much more aid then they do, yet they don't. Why is that? Why is it the resposibility of the US to alleviate the Palestinians suffering. Surely their close arabian cousins could do it just as easy. Most in the Middle East want this resolved so that they can throw the Palestinians out of their country (Jordan). Tells you something about the Palestinians as a whole doesn't it. If their "family" won't help, why does it all fall on the world's social worker, the US?

Collegeboy Guest
    I am saying how to end (Or bring it to a manageable level) terrorism. I have been arguing that from that beginning.

I HAVE NEVER TRIED TO JUSTIFY TERRORISM, I HAVE SAID THAT IS WHAT MAKES A TERRORIST, NEVER DID I SAY THAT IT IS OK FOR WHAT THEY DID. Get it, good. (In caps so people will understand this which I have said already many times)

LBC
    So you don't think ending terrorism (Or same as above) is an important fight.

FOL

Tell me where I said Israeli kids are open for game. I said technically Israeli men between the ages of 18 and I think 30 are open game since they are in the military.

But let me ask you this. Why are Palestinian kids open game?

Shartley

I never said you should feel sorry for where you live or what you have. I said that Americans are lucky to have what we have, and that what we have blocks us from truly understanding what people in other countries have.

It sounds like you and I come from similar back grounds Shartly. Both poor kids, never had anything, didn't eat good, and such. But I am surprised that with that back ground you think like you do. I can look back to mine and see that as a kid me and my friends could have easily been lead astray. I went to school in clothes from the Salvation army. If my clothes didn't have a hole in them I was happy. I saw people go to school brand new cloths, heir parents drop them off in BMW's, and all the while my dad just had to fix the station wagon for me to get to school. I can look back and see how angry I was that these kids got all of this, and I got nothing. I was desperately trying to find answers why. If someone would have came up to me and said this and that was because of this country. I probably could have believed it. From then on I would have that idea in the back of my head and anything I don't like I would blame in on such and such country. See where I am getting at. This is what I fell causes terrorism, and what needs to be dealt with the try and end terrorism.

I have never discarded any sides points. I taken them in, think about it, and then most of the time I figure them wanting of more proof. If you would post something that proves me wrong, i will change my opinion. But up to this point it hasn't happened on this site.

1stdeadeye

Who is wasting their parents money. I wish my parents was paying for college.

I have never said I know everything. In fact I have said this about 10 times know, I KNOW I DON"T KNOW ANYTHING.

You last paragraph shows a lack of understanding of the situation in Palestine. Do you think the Israeli government will allow that to happen?

I call them concentration camps for that is what those Palestinian girls call them.

CollegeBoy...

Well there you have it… contradictions and more contradictions.

First of all, we are not “lucky” to live the way we do. We EARNED it. You are lucky if you win the lottery, not if you WORKED for your money. And the US didn’t win any global lottery. We have what we have because we worked for it.

But then you mention how little YOU had, and make note that I grew up the same. But I “HAVE” now. LOL And I didn’t become a Terrorist to get it, I WORKED HARD for it. I guess you could then say that terrorist are lazy?

And you are surprised that we think so differently? Why are you surprised? You have not even begun to “work” for anything yet (I am not saying you don’t work for anything, but you know what I mean… you are still in school and not in the active work force making a living), or reached the point I have. You have also not actually done anything or experienced much in life, but only read about it and talked with others who may have. This is not a “bad” thing, but to ignore this fact would be folly and delusional. And I would be willing to bet that after you HAVE, and you have a family of your own that your views will be amazingly different. I know MINE are from when I was in my early 20s. But you couldn’t tell me anything when I was young, because I knew it all… sort of like you.

You are not looking for facts or for people to change your mind. You are looking to argue and prove everyone else is somehow missing something in the big picture… of which they have been a part of, and you have only viewed from the outside. I can also tell you with all honesty that those who hate the US, and what we have, don’t make a distinction between the “rich” and the “poor”, or those who have worked their way from nothing into having something compared to those who always had it.

Most of your arguments don’t work in the real world because the real world does not follow the same rules or principles you seem to think it does. And that simple fact is what you fail to either accept, or realize.

I have been trying to stay out of these (it's all over the forums I lurk and participate in), since I am not personaly privy to information that I know (and pray) that our lead government officials have. I am an armchair quarterback in this and that's why I take care when voting. Granted, I usually just hit the big "R" button first, but then I will ALWAYS go back and make changes from there.

Anyway... I pray for our president, and the leaders that we (for the most part) voted into their position. I pray for my fellow comrads in arms as well. Though it would probably take a pretty large scale effort to get me on the line because of my age, I wouldn't hesitate going. I recall the "desert shield" situation and though I was over 30, I sent letters and emails to volunteer as I could because of my particular desert warfare training and expertise when I was stationed in the Death Valley area.

So, there it is. My opinion. I consider myself an observer and a virtual participant. I know I don't have all the information, and no matter what anyone else here says - they don't have it either. not only do we NOT have all the information, but what we do have is scewed by it's presentation in the media and other "sources".

How in the world do we think we can "second-guess" our president and his coleagues. If I had all the information they have, then I could possibley form a valid opinion and be able to say that I may or may not have a better plan; otherwise, I am praying for them to make the right choices as necessary. Remember that as individuals, we have different theocratic ordinances than governing bodies.
    Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling, CPPA founder

Here is my user feedback thread. and my online jottings

Well I held out for a few more pages.

Find one instance that Israel has specifically attacked Palestinian school buses please. Also I suggest you read up on standard offensive actions and retaliatory strikes by Isael. When you're done with that move to the '49 Jordanian occupation, their expulsion and the resulting application of the International Law of Justice. Then make sure you read all of the UN resolutions that "require" Israel to end their occupation.

As for terrorism I suggest you read the history of Arab Vs Israli terrorism. Focus specifically on data previous the the occupation, during each "turn the other cheek phase" by Israel, and then after each escalated retaliation.

Then if you have time read up on counter terrorism solutions. Focus on placate vs escalated retaliation.

People keep thinking you're brainwashed because you provide conjecture and are similar to an old college buddy who truly believed if he thought hard enough he could make walls dissappear. Pretty frustrating, but also kinda funny to watch.

If you freely admit you don't know anything, is this a quest for understanding then, or an end routine?

You call refugee camps concentration camps because that's what Palestinian girls call them? That's a pretty big coincidence! I call guys "Cootie givers" because that's what the neighbours daughter calls the boys in the neighbourhood. I also usually refer to ricky martin as dreamy.

1stdeadeye

Who is wasting their parents money. I wish my parents was paying for college.

I have never said I know everything. In fact I have said this about 10 times know, I KNOW I DON"T KNOW ANYTHING. BUT I REALLY DO KNOW EVERYTHING!

You last paragraph shows a lack of understanding of the situation in Palestine. Do you think the Israeli government will allow that to happen?

I call them concentration camps for that is what those Palestinian girls call them.
    First off denotes a joke. Get it!

And you seem quite one sided on this argument. Do the Palestinians have legitamite gripes? Of course they do. The Palestinians as a whole are not very popular in the Arab world. That being said, most Arabs would pick them over the Israelis. The Israeli government has allowed humanitarian aid. It is a question of if the money evry gets to where it is needed. The Palistinian Authority is very corrupt. They are almost as bad as the government of Camden, NJ. Neither knows where their money goes!

I have known quite a few people who have lived in the middle east. ON BOTH SIDES!! Do you know anybody on the Israeli side? BTW the Israelis have killed Palestinian Women and Children, but they were never targeted. Can the Palestinians say the same? No!

For your last line, now who is spouting off propaganda? To compare refugee camps to concentration camps is wrong. If they are concentration camps, who runs these "concentration" camps inside Jordan? Let me give you a hint, it is not the Israelis. Also, who governs the refugee camps in Israel, Gaza and the West Bank? The Palestinians! Please never compare the Holocost to this "Intifada". That upsets me! I have met survivors, have you? Oh by the way, where were these Palestinian girls you know tatooed? You know, their identification numbers! That is what I thought!

Originally posted by Lone Brain Cell
    [B]Money & backscratching is all going on behind the scenes & most of you all cant see the wood for the trees!

A WAR ON TERRORISM.
    When Bush said there would be a war on Terrorism, Major stuck up his hand to be first in line. the money trail for terrorists was targeted. Look at the biggest load of Irish in the world outside of Ireland????? you will find them in the States. that is where the IRA's money came from. Bush put a stop to that!! the IRA now talks for peace.
    Ok not 100% sure what your motives were in posting what you did, however if you are going to quote instances do it accurately.

The IRA were already talking peace prior to Bush's announcement, they were talking peace before Clinton made his visit to Northern Ireland and poked his nose into another countrys political issues(that was when John Major was in power in the UK btw) the result of Bush's announcement of the "War on terror" then forced the States to get its own house in order as the major funding of the IRA was coming from the States so to continue that stance would have been hypocritical to say the least. Not really having too much of a go at you but please if you are going to cite instances of political inconsistancy do it accurately.

With regards the rest of this thread we could all go around in circles giving reasons for and against the coming war, because thats what it is, The COMING War. It WILL happen regardless of the UN, who for a long time have been an ineffectual police force. The destruction of property and loss of life in this modern age is nothing to the vague war strategies of the resonably recent past. Thankfully for both sides the conflict will be a short lived affair. Wether or not mass surrender occurs OR mass devastation of Iraq, the soldiers will do their job as they signed up for and then the politicans will shout and scream after the event about the rights or wrongs of those actions.
    Last edited by MarkM; 03-11-2003 at 11:37 AM.

One note and some food for thought here is that there is ample evidence that some of the UN opposition is based on economics. We brought this up before. Some of these countries heavily invested post 1991 Gulf War Iraq but the other side of the coin is the cost of this War and what they would be expected to pay if they participated. And after having paid for the last one they may indeed find it cheaper and easier to sit this one out and wait for the spoils. There is every indication that that is the case. For example if you do not get UN support they would not be obligated and then can come in after and particpate in the reconstruction and reap the benefits of those investments.

So if you were a France or a Germany or even a Russia and you faced the prospect of losing you investment with a US lead invasion you would be best served to not approve it and then you could offset your loses by post war reconstruction contracts. Paid off by oil! Now tell me who is going to war for the oil! Or better put who is not going to sanction the action in order to ofset thier losses by Iraq Oil? Not us as we will pay the cost and not gain much in the way of the profits. Looks more like France and Germany and even Russia would. They have in the past shown a willingness to jump in and take a risk for profit. But no propensity to do the dirty work leading to it. Something you should consider here... I suspect that indeed this thought has had much to play with thier stand on this. And in fact they mention it and already are making plans to come in after the War!

Here is some interesting reading on that slant:

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20030310-78929944.htm

Well technically you can say that the Palestinians are not targeting civilians. (Notice I said technically). Every male between 18 and I think 30 are required to be in some sort of reserve military force. So basically all they have to do is say we are targeting that one male 22 year old, and they are not targeting civilians. That is why they can say that, and continually says that.
    and there you give them the excuse to do so. there is no damned "technically". PERIOD. The palestinian terrorists intentionally target civilians. and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

Collegeboy Guest
    I am giving no one any excuse to do what they do.

Well then FOL you can say that Israel intentionally attacks Palestinian civilians.

What was it 4 months or so ago that it came all over the news that the IDF dropped a bomb on a Palestinian APARTMENT COMPLEX, guess what. It was to kill one guy, one guy with one bomb. Don't worry that 2,000 other people were killed, they shouldn't have been there. Come on now, lets use some logic.

Both sides are to blame.

Shartly. I was lucky to have been born in the US. Even though I grew up in not so good conditions it was better then if I was born in many other places. The US was lucky to get were it is at. We as a people are lucky to have the things we have. People in other countries work harder then we do and have much less. So please don't say we have earned everything we have. But is this to say we should feel sorry, no. Just trying to get people to understand what others go through everyday.

RP. I question the President for it is my right. IF we do not question authority then we will fall into the conditions of the USSR after Stalin. Where you do not question the leader, they know everything, and you know nothing. They will make the right decisions. The US was like this until Nixon. Then we found out that presidents are not the perfect persons we have thought them to be. By questioning the President we make him have to second guess his choices, which is a very good thing.

ShooterJM

The partition plan of 1948 is Israel’s legal boarders. The land they have gained after that through wars is the occupied land that I am saying give back to their lawful owners. The 1948 partition plan still stands today as the boarders of Israel officially. I have read many books about life in Palestine prior to 1948 and after. I know about the Jewish terrorist groups and the Palestinian Terrorist groups that attacked the British to get them out. I know about the Balfour Declaration and such.

1st Deadeye

I am not one sided it just seems so for most of you all are one-sided against the Palestinians, so when I try and say how it is there, it makes me seem one sided, I believe both sides are at fault.

Yes a girl in my Russian class is an ethic Ukrainian Jew whose parents migrated from Ukraine during the civil war (1918 to 1920 or so) to Israel. Her parents still live there, and they sent her here to get away from the troubles in her home land. She is staying with her aunt who is also a Ukrainian Jew. How her aunt ended up in Alabama, I have no idea. Any ways she told what it is like just to go to school. IN Israel she personal has to get on three buses to get to her school. She was crying one day when she told me that she could remember how the bus she normally gets on she missed for she was running late. As she was running to the bus to try and get it, she saw it explode. I didn't even ask on. I felt sorry for even asking, but she appreciated my curiosity. A couple of day later she asked me if I had anymore questions. I said yes but are you ok to answer them. She said yes. I asked, do you harbor any hatred for the Palestinians. She said to be honest, yes I hated them so much after I almost died, and every bombing leads me to more hatred. But after awhile I cool down and come to the understanding, that most Palestinians are good, it is just the bad ones that make it bad for the rest. To end it, I asked do you ever see a change coming in your home land. She smiled and said yes. And I will be the one to do it. I smiled and was puzzled sort of so she went on. She said that there is a growing movement in the youths of a comradely between Israelis and Palestinians. They talk with each other to know how it is on the other side of the fence. The understand what each other is going through. She said one day when all the leaders who are full of hatred are dead, then maybe I can get on a bus without wondering if it will be my last moment. (I tried to best remember what she said, this was last semester)

Also if you lived in those camps you might call in a concentration camp too (And no that is of no disrespect to any Jewish people) If you think it is, then you are too PC.

ShooterJM
    The partition plan of 1948 is Israel’s legal boarders. The land they have gained after that through wars is the occupied land that I am saying give back to their lawful owners. The 1948 partition plan still stands today as the boarders of Israel officially. I have read many books about life in Palestine prior to 1948 and after. I know about the Jewish terrorist groups and the Palestinian Terrorist groups that attacked the British to get them out. I know about the Balfour Declaration and such.
    Negative. UN resoloution 181 was voted on in November(?) of 1947. Jewish leaders agreed to the resolution and timetable. However Palestinian leaders and surrounding Arab states immediately rejected the measure and by December 1947 had already moved volunteer armies into place. This led to fighting and the Jordanian occupation of '49. UN 181 has no bearing.

EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE. I've been trying to rack my brain to figure out when Israel bombed an apartment complex and killed 2000 people. You're not talking about the Gaza strip incident when the F-16 dropped a bomb on an apartment building are you? The one in July of '02. The one that killed a TOTAL of 15 people. INCLUDING THE HAMAS LEADER THAT IS KNOWN FOR USING HUMAN SHIELDS!?!?!?!? 2000!?!?!? Hey, pretty close though man. You're only off by a factor of like a hundred and thirty or so!
    Last edited by ShooterJM; 03-11-2003 at 02:13 PM.

Well then FOL you can say that Israel intentionally attacks Palestinian civilians.

What was it 4 months or so ago that it came all over the news that the IDF dropped a bomb on a Palestinian APARTMENT COMPLEX, guess what. It was to kill one guy, one guy with one bomb. Don't worry that 2,000 other people were killed, they shouldn't have been there. Come on now, lets use some logic.

Both sides are to blame.

Shartly. I was lucky to have been born in the US. Even though I grew up in not so good conditions it was better then if I was born in many other places. The US was lucky to get were it is at. We as a people are lucky to have the things we have. People in other countries work harder then we do and have much less. So please don't say we have earned everything we have. But is this to say we should feel sorry, no. Just trying to get people to understand what others go through everyday.

RP. I question the President for it is my right. IF we do not question authority then we will fall into the conditions of the USSR after Stalin. Where you do not question the leader, they know everything, and you know nothing. They will make the right decisions. The US was like this until Nixon. Then we found out that presidents are not the perfect persons we have thought them to be. By questioning the President we make him have to second guess his choices, which is a very good thing.

ShooterJM

1st Deadeye

I am not one sided it just seems so for most of you all are one-sided against the Palestinians, so when I try and say how it is there, it makes me seem one sided, I believe both sides are at fault.

Yes a girl in my Russian class is an ethic Ukrainian Jew whose parents migrated from Ukraine during the civil war (1918 to 1920 or so) to Israel. Her parents still live there, and they sent her here to get away from the troubles in her home land. She is staying with her aunt who is also a Ukrainian Jew. How her aunt ended up in Alabama, I have no idea. Any ways she told what it is like just to go to school. IN Israel she personal has to get on three buses to get to her school. She was crying one day when she told me that she could remember how the bus she normally gets on she missed for she was running late. As she was running to the bus to try and get it, she saw it explode. I didn't even ask on. I felt sorry for even asking, but she appreciated my curiosity. A couple of day later she asked me if I had anymore questions. I said yes but are you ok to answer them. She said yes. I asked, do you harbor any hatred for the Palestinians. She said to be honest, yes I hated them so much after I almost died, and every bombing leads me to more hatred. But after awhile I cool down and come to the understanding, that most Palestinians are good, it is just the bad ones that make it bad for the rest. To end it, I asked do you ever see a change coming in your home land. She smiled and said yes. And I will be the one to do it. I smiled and was puzzled sort of so she went on. She said that there is a growing movement in the youths of a comradely between Israelis and Palestinians. They talk with each other to know how it is on the other side of the fence. The understand what each other is going through. She said one day when all the leaders who are full of hatred are dead, then maybe I can get on a bus without wondering if it will be my last moment. (I tried to best remember what she said, this was last semester)

Also if you lived in those camps you might call in a concentration camp too (And no that is of no disrespect to any Jewish people) If you think it is, then you are too PC.

^^^^^^^^

Useful Idiot.

OK, CB...

Riddle us this....

Why have the Jewish people been the target of extinction almost from the beginning of their existence? Which is approximately 3400+ years.

I don't have an answer, but I'm sure
    you do.

Can't wait to hear this one.

Not the same thing!

What are you talking about? There have been a total of about 3000 deaths on both sides. The single biggest loss of life was the suicide bombing of an Israeli passover feast. That death toll was around 50. Where is your proof? 2000 killed with one bomb. YOU ARE DEAD WRONG! Stop making up facts. That did not happen!

Both sides are to blame.

Uhmm yeah. No one is disputing there is plenty of blame to go around.

1st Deadeye

ANSWER MY QUESTION!! WHO RUNS THE CONCENTRATION CAMPS FOR PALESTINIAN REFUGEES IN JORDON?

Your story is nice, but since they emigrated in 1920 at the latest, they are not holocost survivors. You can not compare the deaths of over 12 million people with a refugee camp. Where are the "showers"? PC my aunt fanny! You might as well compare a nuke to a cherry bomb!

I hope peace does come in my lifetime, but your appeasement drivil will not achieve it!

Edit: You are infuriating me. To compare the Holocost to a Refugee Camp is outragous. You are promoting propaganda! I can look at both sides of the argument, you seem content to eat up whatever your Palestinian friends spit up! I am anything but PC. If you want to compare anything to the holocost, compare Ruwanda where hundreds of thousands were slaughtered in a matter of weeks while the UN sat on their hands and did NOTHING! Nothing else comes close!
    Last edited by 1stdeadeye; 03-11-2003 at 02:56 PM.

Hey 1st...

Looks like CB's class on Creative Writing 101 is in full swing.

DW
    Last edited by Rebel46_99; 03-11-2003 at 05:57 PM.

Better to Reign in Hell than Serve in Heaven
    Ive always wondered about that "12 million" number of the Holocaust...but everytime i try to bring it up, i get called "anti-semetic". Hmm such is life.

JDub

"Automags.org. You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Some of you need to realy read this history of Iraq and Iranian wars to get a feel for where we are now. And how Saddam things and acts. And people in that region act for that matter. This all leads into Kuwait and such. And even into now.

Note the ordered executions by Saddam.

Note the UN findings against Saddam in that war of having used Mustard and Nerve Gas.

Note the continued suport of him by Russia and France through selling weapons to him.

Note that just before this starts Iran was just in the startings of the Religeous Zelotry government that was just after the fall of the Shah and take over by Ayatola Komennei (sp?) but they still had all the American weapons that they had from before and how they were able to survive the Iraqian attacks partly because they were superior equipment. Even then!

Its long but don't skip over any of it. You will miss something.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/ops/war/iran-iraq.htm

Also you need to know who Saddam is and how he got to power and how he thinks so read this one:

Had to reprint this but its a link off the one above.

Iraq
    THE EMERGENCE OF SADDAM HUSAYN, 1968-79
    The Baath of 1968 was more tightly organized and more determined to stay in power than the Baath of 1963. The demise of Nasserism following the June 1967 War and the emergence of a more parochially oriented Baath in Syria freed the Iraqi Baath from the debilitating aspects of pan-Arabism. In 1963 Nasser had been able to manipulate domestic Iraqi politics; by 1968 his ideological pull had waned, enabling the Iraqi Baath to focus on pressing domestic issues. The party also was aided by a 1967 reorganization that created a militia and an intelligence apparatus and set up local branches that gave the Baath broader support. In addition, by 1968 close family and tribal ties bound the Baath's ruling clique. Most notable in this regard was the emergence of Tikritis--Sunni Arabs from the northwest town of Tikrit--related to Ahmad Hasan al Bakr. Three of the five members of the Baath's Revolutionary Command Council (RCC) were Tikritis; two, Bakr and Hammad Shihab, were related to each other. The cabinet posts of president, prime minister, and defense minister went to Tikritis. Saddam Husayn, a key leader behind the scenes, also was a Tikriti and a relative of Bakr. Another distinguishing characteristic of the Baath in 1968 was that the top leadership consisted almost entirely of military men. Finally, Bakr was a much more seasoned politician in 1968 than he had been in 1963.

Less than two months after the formation of the Bakr government, a coalition of pro-Nasser elements, Arif supporters, and conservatives from the military attempted another coup. This event provided the rationale for numerous purges directed by Bakr and Saddam Husayn. Between 1968 and 1973, through a series of sham trials, executions, assassinations, and intimidations, the party ruthlessly eliminated any group or person suspected of challenging Baath rule. The Baath also institutionalized its rule by formally issuing a Provisional Constitution in July 1970. This document was a modification of an earlier constitution that had been issued in September 1968. The Provisional Constitution, which with some modifications is still in effect, granted the party-dominated RCC extensive powers and declared that new RCC members must belong to the party's Regional Command--the top policy-making and executive body of the Baathist organization (see Constitutional Framework , ch. 4).

Two men, Saddam Husayn and Bakr, increasingly dominated the party. Bakr, who had been associated with Arab nationalist causes for more than a decade, brought the party popular legitimacy. Even more important, he brought support from the army both among Baathist and non-Baathist officers, with whom he had cultivated ties for years. Saddam Husayn, on the other hand, was a consummate party politician whose formative experiences were in organizing clandestine opposition activity. He was adept at outmaneuvering--and at times ruthlessly eliminating--political opponents. Although Bakr was the older and more prestigious of the two, by 1969 Saddam Husayn clearly had become the moving force behind the party. He personally directed Baathist attempts to settle the Kurdish question and he organized the party's institutional structure.

In July 1973, after an unsuccessful coup attempt by a civilian faction within the Baath led by Nazim Kazzar, the party set out to reconsolidate its hold on power. First, the RCC amended the Provisional Constitution to give the president greater power. Second, in early 1974 the Regional Command was officially designated as the body responsible for making policy (see The Revolutionary Command Council , ch. 4). By September 1977, all Regional Command leaders had been appointed to the RCC. Third, the party created a more pervasive presence in Iraqi society by establishing a complex network of grass-roots and intelligence-gathering organizations. Finally, the party established its own militia, which in 1978 was reported to number close to 50,000 men.

Despite Baath attempts to institutionalize its rule, real power remained in the hands of a narrowly based elite, united by close family and tribal ties. By 1977 the most powerful men in the Baath thus were all somehow related to the triumvirate of Saddam Husayn, Bakr, and General Adnan Khayr Allah Talfah, Saddam Husayn's brother-in-law who became minister of defense in 1978. All were members of the party, the RCC, and the cabinet, and all were members of the Talfah family of Tikrit, headed by Khayr Allah Talfah. Khayr Allah Talfah was Saddam Husayn's uncle and guardian, Adnan Khayr Allah's father, and Bakr's cousin. Saddam Husayn was married to Adnan Khayr Allah's sister and Adnan Khayr Allah was married to Bakr's daughter. Increasingly, the most sensitive military posts were going to the Tikritis.

Beginning in the mid-1970s, Bakr was beset by illness and by a series of family tragedies. He increasingly turned over power to Saddam Husayn. By 1977 the party bureaus, the intelligence mechanisms, and even ministers who, according to the Provisional Constitution, should have reported to Bakr, reported to Saddam Husayn. Saddam Husayn, meanwhile, was less inclined to share power, and he viewed the cabinet and the RCC as rubber stamps. On July 16, 1979, President Bakr resigned, and Saddam Husayn officially replaced him as president of the republic, secretary general of the Baath Party Regional Command, chairman of the RCC, and commander in chief of the armed forces.

In foreign affairs, the Baath's pan-Arab and socialist leanings alienated both the pro-Western Arab Gulf states and the shah of Iran. The enmity between Iraq and Iran sharpened with the 1969 British announcement of a planned withdrawal from the Gulf in 1971. In February 1969, Iran announced that Iraq had not fulfilled its obligations under the 1937 treaty and demanded that the border in the Shatt al Arab waterway be set at the thalweg. Iraq's refusal to honor the Iranian demand led the shah to abrogate the 1937 treaty and to send Iranian ships through the Shatt al Arab without paying dues to Iraq. In response, Iraq aided anti-shah dissidents, while the shah renewed support for Kurdish rebels. Relations between the two countries soon deteriorated further. In November 1971, the shah occupied the islands of Abu Musa and the Greater and Lesser Tunbs, which previously had been under the sovereignty of Ras al Khaymah and Sharjah, both member states of the United Arab Emirates.

The Iraqi Baath also was involved in a confrontation with the conservative shaykhdoms of the Gulf over Iraq's support for the leftist People's Democratic Republic of Yemen (South Yemen) and the Popular Front for the Liberation of the Occupied Arabian Gulf. The major contention between Iraq and the conservative Gulf states, however, concerned the Kuwaiti islands of Bubiyan and Warbah that dominate the estuary leading to the southern Iraqi port of Umm Qasr. Beginning in the early 1970s, Iraq's desire to develop a deep-water port on the Gulf led to demands that the two islands be transferred or leased to Iraq. Kuwait refused, and in March 1973 Iraqi troops occupied As Samitah, a border post in the northeast corner of Kuwait. Saudi Arabia immediately came to Kuwait's aid and, together with the Arab League, obtained Iraq's withdrawal.

The most serious threat facing the Baath was a resurgence of Kurdish unrest in the north. ln March 1970, the RCC and Mustafa Barzani announced agreement to a fifteen-article peace plan. This plan was almost identical to the previous Bazzaz-Kurdish settlement that had never been implemented. The Kurds were immediately pacified by the settlement, particularly because Barzani was permitted to retain his 15,000 Kurdish troops. Barzani's troops then became an official Iraqi frontier force called the Pesh Merga, meaning "Those Who Face Death." The plan, however, was not completely satisfactory because the legal status of the Kurdish territory remained unresolved. At the time of the signing of the peace plan, Barzani's forces controlled territory from Zakhu in the north to Halabjah in the southeast and already had established de facto Kurdish administration in most of the towns of the area. Barzani's group, the Kurdish Democratic Party (KDP), was granted official recognition as the legitimate representative of the Kurdish people.

The 1970 agreement unraveled throughout the early 1970s. After the March 1974 Baath attempt to assassinate Barzani and his son Idris, full-scale fighting broke out. In early 1974, it appeared that the Baath had finally succeeded in isolating Barzani and the KDP by coopting the ICP and by signing a treaty with the Soviet Union, both traditionally strong supporters of the KDP. Barzani, however, compensated for the loss of Soviet and ICP support by obtaining military aid from the shah of Iran and from the United States, both of which were alarmed by increasing Soviet influence in Iraq. When Iraqi forces reached Rawanduz, threatening to block the major Kurdish artery to Iran, the shah increased the flow of military supplies to the Kurdish rebels. Using antitank missiles and artillery obtained from Iran as well as military aid from Syria and Israel, the KDP inflicted heavy losses on the Iraqi forces. To avoid a costly stalemate like that which had weakened his predecessors, Saddam Husayn sought an agreement with the shah.

In Algiers on March 6, 1975, Saddam Husayn signed an agreement with the shah that recognized the thalweg as the boundary in the Shatt al Arab, legalized the shah's abrogation of the 1937 treaty in 1969, and dropped all Iraqi claims to Iranian Khuzestan and to the islands at the foot of the Gulf. In return, the shah agreed to prevent subversive elements from crossing the border. This agreement meant an end to Iranian assistance to the Kurds. Almost immediately after the signing of the Algiers Agreement, Iraqi forces went on the offensive and defeated the Pesh Merga, which was unable to hold out without Iranian support. Under an amnesty plan, about 70 percent of the Pesh Merga surrendered to the Iraqis. Some remained in the hills of Kurdistan to continue the fight, and about 30,000 crossed the border to Iran to join the civilian refugees, then estimated at between 100,000 and 200,000.

Even before the fighting broke out in March 1974, Saddam Husayn had offered the Kurds the most comprehensive autonomy plan ever proposed. The major provisions of the plan stated that Kurdistan would be an autonomous area governed by an elected legislative and an executive council, the president of which would be appointed by the Iraqi head of state. The Kurdish council would have control over local affairs except in the areas of defense and foreign relations, which would be controlled by the central government. The autonomous region did not include the oil-rich district of Kirkuk. To facilitate the autonomy plan, Saddam Husayn's administration helped form three progovernment Kurdish parties, allocated a special budget for development in Kurdish areas, and repatriated many Kurdish refugees then living in Iran.

In addition to the conciliatory measures offered to the Kurds, Saddam Husayn attempted to weaken Kurdish resistance by forcibly relocating many Kurds from the Kurdish heartland in the north, by introducing increasing numbers of Arabs into mixed Kurdish provinces, and by razing all Kurdish villages along a 1,300 kilometer stretch of the border with Iran. Saddam Husayn's combination of conciliation and severity failed to appease the Kurds, and renewed guerrilla attacks occurred as early as March 1976. At the same time, the failure of the KDP to obtain significant concessions from the Iraqi government caused a serious split within the Kurdish resistance. In June 1975, Jalal Talabani formed the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK). The PUK was urban-based and more leftist than the tribally based KDP. Following Barzani's death in 1975, Barzani's sons, Idris and Masud, took control of the KDP. In October 1979, Masud officially was elected KDP chairman. He issued a new platform calling for continued armed struggle against the Baath through guerrilla warfare. The effectiveness of the KDP, however, was blunted by its violent intra-Kurdish struggle with the PUK throughout 1978 and 1979.

Beginning in 1976, with the Baath firmly in power and after the Kurdish rebellion had been successfully quelled, Saddam Husayn set out to consolidate his position at home by strengthening the economy. He pursued a state-sponsored industrial modernization program that tied an increasing number of Iraqis to the Baath-controlled government. Saddam Husayn's economic policies were largely successful; they led to a wider distribution of wealth, to greater social mobility, to increased access to education and health care, and to the redistribution of land. The quadrupling of oil prices in 1973 and the subsequent oil price rises brought on by the 1979 Islamic Revolution in Iran greatly enhanced the success of Saddam Husayn's program. The more equitable distribution of income tied to the ruling party many Iraqis who had previously opposed the central government. For the first time in modern Iraqi history, a government--albeit at times a ruthless one, had thus achieved some success in forging a national community out of the country's disparate social elements.

Success on the economic front spurred Saddam Husayn to pursue an ambitious foreign policy aimed at pushing Iraq to the forefront of the Arab world. Between 1975 and 1979, a major plank of Saddam Husayn's bid for power in the region rested on improved relations with Iran, with Saudi Arabia, and with the smaller Gulf shaykhdoms. In 1975 Iraq established diplomatic relations with Sultan Qabus of Oman and extended several loans to him. In 1978 Iraq sharply reversed its support for the Marxist regime in South Yemen. The biggest boost to Saddam Husayn's quest for regional power, however, resulted from Egyptian President Anwar Sadat's signing the Camp David Accords in November 1978.

Saddam Husayn viewed Egypt's isolation within the Arab world as an opportunity for Iraq to play a leading role in Arab affairs. He was instrumental in convening an Arab summit in Baghdad that denounced Sadat's reconciliation with Israel and imposed sanctions on Egypt. He also attempted to end his long- standing feud with Syrian President Hafiz al Assad, and, in June 1979, Saddam Husayn became the first Iraqi head of state in twenty years to visit Jordan. In Amman, Saddam Husayn concluded a number of agreements with King Hussein, including one for the expansion of the port of Aqabah, regarded by Iraq as a potential replacement for ports in Lebanon and Syria.

Data as of May 1988
    Scource: Library of Congress Country Studies
    Last edited by cphilip; 03-11-2003 at 05:05 PM.

Originally posted by cphilip

Note the continued suport of him by Russia and France through selling weapons to him.
    You mean there's another reason they don't want this war because war is..... bad?

WE'VE BEEN DUPED!

Originally posted by RamboPreacher

How in the world do we think we can "second-guess" our president and his coleagues. If I had all the information they have, then I could possibley form a valid opinion and be able to say that I may or may not have a better plan; otherwise, I am praying for them to make the right choices as necessary. Remember that as individuals, we have different theocratic ordinances than governing bodies.
    RP I understand your point here and as I've said I am not even sure I totally am against a war in Iraq. Your argument, however, does not hold water for me because the formula suggests that we should never oppose the government on ANYTHING. It could always be said that they were looking out for our better interests and acting in a certain way based on information that we do not have access to. This viewpoint is a real problem. Why don't we go back to the glorious years when actors and directors were black listed because it would protect our interest? I hope you see my point.

We need to question what are government does in our name. Whether we actively oppose it (by legal means) and vote against the representatives who support those actions is a personal choice that each citizen must make. Some of these posts that in effect say, "I support my government NO MATTER WHAT!" disturb me. If someone says, "I believe we need to attack Iraq for these reasons...." I don't really have a problem with it. When someone says talks about supporting the government decisions simply because they are the government, however, I think that is bad for the country as a whole.

Collegeboy Guest
    I must have got that number confused with another number. But yes it wasn't 2,000 (though now thinking about it, I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that). Here is a link to a story of it if someone wants to read.

http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail...ly/003899.html

(The above site is bias like most news sources, but it is an interesting read)

Now back to the arguments

Shooter- I will look up what you have said when I get time.

FOL- Very Useful post glad we are not resulting in name calling.

1st deadeye. The UN is in charge of the overall care of the camps I do believe. They US Palestinian people to control the inside of the camp. But the camps are controlled by Israel on the outside. So to answer your question it would be the UN, Israel, and Palestinians. All with the real control by Israel (thanks to US vetoes)

I will read Cphillip's post when I get more time.

FOL- Very Useful post glad we are not resulting in name calling.

You can thank Lenin for that.

Originally posted by Jack_Dubious
    Ive always wondered about that "12 million" number of the Holocaust...but everytime i try to bring it up, i get called "anti-semetic". Hmm such is life.

JDub
    It was 12 million total. Jews made up about half. The numbers were easy to figure out as the Nazis were great paperpushers.

WRONG!

I must have got that number confused with another number. But yes it wasn't 2,000 (though now thinking about it, I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that). Here is a link to a story of it if someone wants to read.

So you were WRONG!!!! So you made that number up, or you "heard" it somewhere, kind of like your Palestinian 9/11 celebration? Or you flat out made it up to sustain your fauly arguements!

1st deadeye. The UN is in charge of the overall care of the camps I do believe. They US Palestinian people to control the inside of the camp. But the camps are controlled by Israel on the outside. So to answer your question it would be the UN, Israel, and Palestinians. All with the real control by Israel (thanks to US vetoes)

You are so wrong. The Palestinian REFUGEE camps in Jordon are controlled by JORDON! Jordon wants them out of there. That is why Jordon ceded the entire West Bank to the Palestinian people when they settled with Israel. So your argument of illegal ocupation of Jordons land is mute as they did indeed cede it in a treaty! The Refugee camps in Israel are run by the Palestinian Authority with oversight from the UN ans Israel. So the Arabs in Jordon are running concentration camps in Jordon at the behest of the Israelis. You are sick. Please STOP MAKING UP FACTS!!!!!!!

Answer my Ruwanda point!