Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody actually READ around here?

Anybody actually READ around here?

Just wondering... I pretty much gave up reading until this past Christmas when my brother got me the new book "Prey" by Michael Crichton. That seemed to have awakened me. Now I'm reading a book a week it seems like.

Some of the ones I reccomend to anyone:

"Prey" by Michael Crichton- Cool story about Nano-Robots run amok. It was pretty good, easy to tell that it is Crichton writing it though...

"Area 7" by Matthew Reilly- Seems like it was written to be an action movie. There is ALOT of shooting, death-defying stunts, and other things that are cinema quality story-telling. It was pretty good if not believeable

"Sleeper" (don't know the author at the moment)- Really good book about a genetically engineered monster killing people under the Pentagon, and it sets up some very tenseful situations as well.

"Dirty Jokes and Beer" by Drew Carey is pretty funny. There is one chapter alone that provides more laughs then most other comedy specials on HBO... It also has some good information on the life of Drew, and how he has even tried to kill himself twice! Didn't expect that out of Drew Carey...

"Marine Sniper" (I forgot the author at the moment as well...damn!) This tells about the military life of the greatest sniper the US has produced, Carlos Hathcock. Very good read, got to see how he lived, and what tactics he used. Also very good at showing the teamwork involved on being in a sniper team

"The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brian. This book is insanely good. Anyone who knows anyone in the Vietnam war needs to read this book! It is artfully crafted, you can read it for just the story, or you can pick it apart like I did in my AP english class, and either way it is still good...

I could go on, but I guess now I'm asking for suggestions. What are some good action-type books? Who are your favorite authors? What would be a good time-wasting read?
    Hey Zero, how much did that Chipley cost ya?

Originally said by Boggerman When I got married I thought it would go down too... The insurance, not the wife.

FRUITCAT!!

I am going to read Prey (sitting on bookshelf)

I read The Things They Carried and a BUNCH of other war (wwII and vietnam) books

Hmm.....Band of Brothers was SWEET. I read it before it came out on HBO and loved it then and still love it. Also D-Day is pretty good but long. Also, check out Ghost Soldiers and Fallen Angels.

Good Traders: MrMag, RogueFactor, LawFox32,Daroach,magsRus,donggie,irbodden,SIGSays, lopxtc
    BAD TRADERS: Jezus/TheEmagGuy

reading is good

I'm currently reading "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn. Great book for those who like history or would like a perspective you might not have gotten in high school or college. Good read.

Click here for more info

RT Pro X | 10" Boomstick | 68/4500 Flatline

Ayn Rand- Atlas Shrugged. Good fiction, I like how it lays out her philosophy.

If you're up for some nonfiction that's hard to get through and nearly impossible to understand, check out Aristotles Nicomachean Ethics. Heck, i'll even send you my copy if you want it

David L. Robbins- The End of War. I normally don't like this genre, but the book was good.

Good luck finding reading material, I know it's a pain. I can't keep myself in books even when I try.
    Such a sham(e).

Washington... AKA 'Cocker Country... Come get Some!
    Meh, with one exception, I haven't done any recreational reading since the 7th grade.

the one book I *did* read was Steven Ambrose's "Band of Brothers." I watched the mini-series and was so impressed that I went out and bought a copy of the book.

I guess my lack of reading has to do something with my american-youth-lack-of-attention...

...oooh! a butterfly!

My Trading Feedback

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
    -Edmond Burke

I am an avid reader. I have read 2 of the books mentioned, Drew Carey's and the Marine Sniper book. While I do read some fiction, I'd say most of the reading material I have is non-fiction.

When I geek out I need to know as much about the subject of my interest as I can. I'm a military aircraft freak and a scale modeler, so I have boatloads of aircraft reference type books.

Dean Koontz.
    enough said.
    Thanks, Brent "RamboPreacher" Hoefling, CPPA founder

Here is my user feedback thread. and my online jottings

The only time i read is when its required, or if its a paintball magazine, or....here..

Blennidae: I think you would like Dale Brown and his "Flight of the Old Dog" series. He is as in-depth and technical as Tom Clancy, and equally as suspenseful.

I used to be a BIG reader. I would go through books like nothing. I've gotten out of that habbit, and now I'm the computer most of the time..

I love history/war. Any book about it I'll most likely enjoy, unless it is for school. That usually ruins it lol.

Marine Sniper sounds interesting, I'll have to pick it up.

I usually like the sci-fi/horror/fanatasy (Like Dragons and Knights stuff, not like fairies and stuff) books.

your post is too LONG. i'm not going to read all that.

haha j/k. i read fantasy and scifi pretty much exclusively. i read about 100 pages in an hour, that's on hardcover books. so i make my way through books pretty quickly. i like stuff that up until recently was unthinkable to do in a movie. stretch the imagination.

the dune series is excellent. the original trilogy is a must. if you liked the miniseries on the scifi channel at all pick them up. there's so much going on that can't make it into a screen adaptation.

ender's game by orson scott card. it's about a genius kid who has to save the world from alien invaders. they really screw this kid up training him to general the earth's armies. if you've seen the movie Soldier think of the training there only a whole lot more of a mind game.

The Far Kingdoms by Allan Cole and Chris Bunch. great fantasy book. tale of a young man's journey in search of the great riches and wonders to be found out there just beyond your reach.

anything by David Eddings. i really like his writing style. i find all of his novels extremely amusing. his sense of humor just seems to match mine very well. i love the dialogue he writes for his characters. It'd be great to see some of this stuff make it to the movies but most of his books are involved in series that are more than 5 books in legth. he only has one stand alone novel, The Redemption of Althalus.

I try to read as much as possible
    I've quit an extensive collection, but of only a few authors
    David Eddings
    Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman
    R.A. Salvatore
    Terry Brooks
    Tolkien
    Star Wars
    Crichton

that's all I can think of right now
    You are the Wormtongue of AO.~bofh

Originally posted by MantisMag
    he only has one stand alone novel, The Redemption of Althalus.
    he's got a few others
    High Hunt
    The Losers

Liberalism is a persistent vegatative state.
    ahhh books, an author's soul in print...

my current list:

Savage Nation(Michael Savage, excellent)
    Brain Droppings(George Carlin, also excellent)
    Bruce Catton's Civil War. THE definitive civil war history book.
    Also by Catton, Evening Train, and Bruce Catton's America. SUPERB.

Rereading the Matador series by Steve Perry.

The dune series is ALWAYS nearby. Usually on my palm pilot.

The Bible. natch.

and just for fun, David Drakes stuff. Mostly Hammer's Slammers.

"Marine Sniper" (I forgot the author at the moment as well...damn!)
    Charles Henderson, I believe. Great book indeed!

... oh, and Tim O'Brien was a friggin' hippie!

i read books about fantasy... i.e. harry potter, lord of the rings... they are the only books ill read. ive read each of the potter books cover to cover over 5 times each. quiz me

i read...forums...

i read about a book every 2 weeks...consistantly... if its a book i really like its done in about 2 days...
    [*img]http://www.browndotdesign.com/Xodus/AO/YeahThatsMe.jpg[/img]
    Image too large- Tato

I used to read...then I went to college

Now if I have time to read its either physics, economics, or related to my flight training. Just so much other stuff to do.

I'll read anything by Crichton (and did). Prey was good. I'm trying to get through Grishom's books, but they seem to just sit on the shelf.

Washington... AKA 'Cocker Country... Come get Some!
    Originally posted by BTAutoMag
    i read books about fantasy... i.e. harry potter, lord of the rings... they are the only books ill read. ive read each of the potter books cover to cover over 5 times each. quiz me
    I walked in my cousin's room when he was watching a harry potter movie and I saw some weird stuff. Why is it that the dude with a face on the back of his head started melting or whatever when harry touched him?

And when they were playing "battle-chess" why the heck didn't that red-haired kid just jump off the piece before it was smashed?

1) voldemort can only live in spirit form when he occupies another body, a parasite... he can live for a short time outside of the body but not long. he also had to drink unicorn blood to survive... as for the melting thing. voldemort tried to kill harry when he was one but failed because his mother died to save him. that left the mark of true love upon the boy whick no evil can penetrate. when he touched him, something so evil, he could not stand to touch something that had so much good in it.

if he had jumped off the horse the move would have declared a forefit on his part (as ive heard in the finer points of wizarding chess rules)

Reading blwos

I haven't really read much for quite a while. After The Scarlet letter, I really quit caring. I hate that book.

The darkside - Stephen king

The dead zone - Stephen king

Gerald's game - stephen king

Christine - stephen king

To kill a mocking bird - Don't know the author but reading it for english, or i'd be reading some king right now

Originally posted by wyn1370

he's got a few others
    High Hunt
    The Losers
    damn why aren't those in my bookstore?

Originally posted by MantisMag

damn why aren't those in my bookstore?
    amazon.com
    the losers is quite good, it's not a scifi fantasy type. It's set in more modern times and is a somewhat dark story, but well worth the read.

Man, give me Clarke, Assimov, Benford, Brin, card, Cussler, and Pratchett. Can you tell I like fiction, sci/fi or otherwise.
    If you like Card, try the Red Prophet series of books.
    Flying the unfriendly skies.

Right now I'm reading Robert Ludlum. Good action author. If you like military novels the Rouge Warrior series by Richard Marchinko are good. It helps if you read the original non-fiction Rouge Warrior first, but it is not necessary.

Hey Hitech your starting to sound like me! - AGD
    Hitech is the man.... - Blennidae
    The only Hitech Lubricant

I would suggest reading some of Ernest Hemingway or Zora Neale Hurston. Those are two good authors off the top of my head.
    After reading some of the posts I think some around here are in need of some culture so I will start you off with a short good read with out a lot of big words.
    Try reading Animal Farm

Liberalism is a persistent vegatative state.
    Originally posted by Python14
    Reading blwos

I haven't really read much for quite a while. After The Scarlet letter, I really quit caring. I hate that book.
    lol... blwos?

Originally posted by FactsOfLife

lol... blwos?
    maybe if he read mroe it wolud help his spelling

I really hope you realize it's a joke.