Thread: what's involed w/ a SLUG?

what's involed w/ a SLUG?

The only other upgrade i can do to my gun is pretty much a new body, i have a polsihed powerfeed hopper left minimag body. not sure if i want to do a warp or not, but if i don't, how much work is involved w/ a slugo? besides the cosmetic milling, how much work are they? and how easy are they? I'm take a machining class at school, and i have about another month or so worth of required work to do, i'm there till june and to quote my teacher "then you can work on what ever you want to...with in reason" so i'll have some time. so how hard are they?
    AIM- TheJester493 IM me some time

take a look at my minimag ....
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...threadid=64837

i dont quite understand what you mean by hard but if you can mill them then make sure you mill the back to thin as possible in your design because sometimes you cant put a fitting on there and you need a tap to make the cocker ball detent threading but thats not difficult just take your time

wow, quick responce, what i ment by hard, is how much non-cosmetic work is involved. is it just tapping stuff? what all do you have to tap, and what are the taps?

FESTUS33, can you fill me in on this a little, i just saw you just did 1. either here on the forum, or AIM..... TheJester493
    Last edited by TheJester; 01-19-2003 at 05:34 PM.

personman Guest
    The only other thing you need to do is to tap the cocker ball detent, I'm pretty sure. The feed comes with angel threads, and the breech is cocker threaded.. other than that, I think thats all..

To make the slugo useable you only need to drill and tap the ball detent hole for your choice of detents(cocker,angle,cooper-t). Then add a Angle feed neck and cocker barrel and your set.

At a minimum, all you have to do is drill and tap for a detent, screw in an Angel feed neck, and put it on the body.

Anyone with a semi-steady hand and the right tap and tap drill can do the detent- the hole's already drilled at the right spot. If you're using a 'Cocker detent, drill with a "Q" or .332" bit, and tap it to 3/8"-24 (same as a 'Cocker front block bolt, pre-2K.) If you're using an Angel detent, drill it to about .345" and tap it with an M10-1.00 thread.

However, to use the 'Cocker detent, you pretty much have to do some milling, just so the detent can move in far enough to work. At a minimum, you'd need to spot-face at least a half inch diameter, centered on the hole. Don't go too deep or the threads will interfere with the bolt travel.

But if you use an Angel detent, the depth should be just about right.

Doc.

thanks doc

I've been searching for that info everywhere. Now I can make the final cuts in my slug and have it shooting tonight.

Thanks again,
    XR