Thread: Old skool, Mag problem with Smart Parts Magic Box or On/Off?

Old skool, Mag problem with Smart Parts Magic Box or On/Off?

This is my Buds mag,

Here is the deal,
    The mag will shoot first shot around whatever I want it to via the AIR valve. So I set it to chrono around 290~295. The second shot will drop over 100fps then it will stay constant around 180~190. If I shoot any faster than 2 bps that is when I get the shoot down. I took apart the AIR valve and it looked clean and the orings looked good, alittle oily but good. I pulled the on/off apart and found that this mag has a different on/off top. I have no clue what it is but one thing is for sure its not stock. It isnt brass, its kinda silvery like Al. It has some more porting on it and one side of it has major porting where it is warped just barely on the top and bottom.

SO I guess my question, is it the on/off or the Magic Box?

Side note: I played with it all day long running my AIR and my rico with this gun. It was great I was playing long ball olympics with a flatline owner. Even though the gun was shooting awful he walked off the field with one shot right on his goggs. Then some cockers owners were showing off thier accuracy by shooting Al can that was on a post about 35ft away. The mag knock the can over ever 3rd or 4rth ball with 3 month old Draxxius paint. Not bad for a gun that is proablly close to 10 years old

Whats the air source setup? Sounds like C02 to me...

Infor on air source would be helpful.

Im willing to bet that the SP box is the culprit. This has been discussed a couple times on AO that i can remember. The SP box was noted to cause some nasty shoot-down in several cases. My advice is to loose the box.

Carl

cgrieves Guest
    I seem to remember the magic box mod is permanently machined and attached to the valve...... but it's basically just an enlarged air chamber so I don't reckon that's the problem.

Most of the shootdown probs I've had with mags are down to the on/off and airflow through that part of the gun. My last case was due to an on/off pin that was too short and not completely exiting the on/off top orings, thus restricting airflow.

I'd definitely suspect the on/off top first. It's a non standard part, and cheap at that so try a stock top before you go removing magic boxes or upgrading to air.

Also for the record I played for 6 years with CO2 on an AIR valve, and had very few problems unless you count freezedown after 1000+ rapid shots. And that's in the UK: a country not reknowned for it's hot climate....

Yes, I'd check the on/off assembly. It sounds like it is non-standard. Get the proper on/off parts and try it then.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

cgrieves, I ran C02 for three years as well. However, It kinda sounded like *direct* c02, and that dosen't work well. I had a dual 20oz backpack with an expansion chamber on a remoteline. Never froze, had consistency (usually) as good as I get with HPA...

cgrieves Guest
    Yeah, sorry that wasn't directed at you mate

Just a lot of paintballers these days seem to knock CO2 when it's still a good propellant- cheap and simple too.

Having said that I run air and am happy- it's so convenient to be able to top up a fill.

strider and smookey: Did you even read my post?

Side note: I played with it all day long running my AIR
    Yes the Magic box is tapped into the the valve, well behind the PT, and the body of the mag is cur to recieve the extra outlet. Its kinda strange and makes the gun odly weighted on one side.

Oh another side note this mag is so old it still has the PT spring instead of the spacer I will see if I can scourange up an on/off in the classfieds or from tuna.

jb

Originally posted by gtrsi
    [B]strider and smookey: Did you even read my post?
    Yes. However, I didn't relate AIR to Angel AIR, but thought you were referring to your mag valve. That and it was in the side note section, so I was skimming that.
    Yes the Magic box is tapped into the the valve, well behind the PT, and the body of the mag is cur to recieve the extra outlet. Its kinda strange and makes the gun odly weighted on one side.
    We have a magic box at our field. We don't get shootdown with it. Mind you we don't use it often...