Thread: Getting back into paintball

Getting back into paintball

I stopped playing paintball almost 2 years ago because I couldn't afford it. I'm gonna graduate college in May and I'll start a real job in June, so now I'm itching to get back into the game. I kind of want to upgrade my gun before I start though, and that is where the problem lies. I'm not sure what I should get and I don't feel like doing a lot of searching.

I've got an old E-Mag. It's software version is 1.35. I don't know if that really effects the performance though. I've got a preset tank that probably needs to be hydro tested, a warp feed and a revolution loader. I'd like to upgrade to a level 10 valve, get a new loader and not use the warp feed, and I'm thinking of getting a new tank. Last I remember was when the halo loaders were coming out and they seemed pretty sweet. I wanted one of those, but it cost to much.

So, here are my questions:
    1) Do I need to upgrade the software to use the level 10 valve?
    2) What loaders should I consider? (It's got a powerfeed, not vert if that matters)
    3) What's a decent/cheap preset 68ci 4500psi tank? (Does it go higher than 4500 now? I remember 5000psi tanks existing, but they were pretty new I think)
    4) How much do you suppose all this will cost me?

I've also got some stuff I'd like to get rid of. I've got a green warp feed that's seen some use, but it still works. I've also got a Z-Grip that I bought, shot a few rounds with in my backyard and then never used it again because I stopped playing. I got it brand new, and I'm considering selling it.

I wouldn't buy anything till June probably, but I'd like to see what I'd buy now. Then I'll have a long time to think about it and I won't buy anything that I don't really want.

Any help would be great!
    Thanks!

68/4500 air tank: get a crossfire. new $180, used $120
    Level 10: the level ten is actually not a valve, its a bolt $60
    Hopper: Consider the Ricochet apache, its selling for $50 now at paintballgear.com, and it can do 19 bps (thats what they say)
    Automag RT Pro
    ULE Body
    RT Valve w/ LvL 10
    AM/MM Rail
    Intelliframe
    Custom Products Matrix barrel
    CP small drop
    Black

Answers to good questions

Gimp, You don't need to upgrade your software for the LvL 10 to work but I highly recommend it. I have an X-mag and even with the old 2.4 software it doesn't compare to the new 3.2 software. The man to get ahold of is Tunaman here on AO, he can update your software by sending it to him and he flashes the 3.2 into the board. He can also install and tune a LvL 10 for you. Keep an eye on the forums for RRFireblade's upcoming new software, Fireware 1.0. This software is being developed to be used in the PSP tournament series with the new ramping feature. If by teh time you get teh job and start getting your goodies the new software, Fireware 1.0 is not out then definitely flash in the 3.2.

On the loader situation. I have not used the Apache but the reviews do seem to support the 19 BPS theaory andshould be plenty for you. A HALO is the way to go in my opinion and I have two for my mags.

Now something you didn't think of but will make a major difference. Go with a ULE body vert. It is very light takes cocker threaded barrels wich is great when you get a barrel kit and lastly you can get a Rogue clamping feed neck. This will ensure your hopper doesn't come off and with the vert feed you don't have to worry about the twisting problem the powerfeed set up has with heavy loaders. I hope this helps and welcome back to AO!!

COL Jerry Perkins
    SF, De Oppresso Liber

Thanks for the replies. Now I've got more questions.

How does the software effect the performance of the gun? I don't need any fancy features or anything. In fact, I like having the burst modes on there for when I'm tooling around in the woods with my buddies. Do you lose those with a newer version? My version's total shot counter doesn't work. I would like to have that fixed. I am familiar with Tunaman's reputation. I hadn't thought of contacting him to do any work, but it's definetly a possibility.

What is ramping? Did shockers do that? When you start shooting fast, then it automatically shoots a little faster? I don't remember if that was called ramping, but I remember the shockers doing something like that.

I had considered a ULE vert body. They started coming out right when I stopped playing I think. I've always wanted one, but I don't want to have to get new barrels too. It would just cost to much money. But! If I need one to hold a heavy hopper on there, then maybe I'll have to splurge. Is it really a problem with powerfeeds? I can crank that elbow on there pretty tight.

Since I've stopped playing, I've still come to AO almost every day and I'm clueless about what's new in paintball. Hurray for the friendly corner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gimp
    Thanks for the replies. Now I've got more questions.

How does the software effect the performance of the gun? I don't need any fancy features or anything. In fact, I like having the burst modes on there for when I'm tooling around in the woods with my buddies. Do you lose those with a newer version? My version's total shot counter doesn't work. I would like to have that fixed. I am familiar with Tunaman's reputation. I hadn't thought of contacting him to do any work, but it's definetly a possibility.

3.2 includes a shot buffer which will definately increase your ROF...legally.Think WAS at a reasonable debounce setting.And yes you lose the fire modes.

What is ramping? Did shockers do that? When you start shooting fast, then it automatically shoots a little faster? I don't remember if that was called ramping, but I remember the shockers doing something like that.

Ramping= semi auto till a preset ROF and then basically full auto till you stop pulling.

I had considered a ULE vert body. They started coming out right when I stopped playing I think. I've always wanted one, but I don't want to have to get new barrels too. It would just cost to much money. But! If I need one to hold a heavy hopper on there, then maybe I'll have to splurge. Is it really a problem with powerfeeds? I can crank that elbow on there pretty tight.

If money not to big of an issue, go ULE. It much lighter,prettier and allows for aftermarket feednecks and real ball detents of your chioce.

Since I've stopped playing, I've still come to AO almost every day and I'm clueless about what's new in paintball. Hurray for the friendly corner!!!
    And I do software upgrades if you need it. Check the Dealers Forum for more info.

Hope that helped.
    Logic Paintball Forums
    My A O Feedback Here
    Other Feedback Here
    If I've Been Any help
    Please Leave Some.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp

A ULE is also better if you go with the Halo. Halos work better with as short of a stack as possible, and I imagine all those extra "bends" involved with a powerfeed will be harder on your paint (i.e. more likely to break). Although, I'd say that an elbow is the original "clamping" feedneck so if you get a decent elbow, then you probably won't have a problem there.

I was also away from paintball for about two years before getting back into it a couple months ago. Welcome back... it feels good, dosen't it?
    Brent "Twiek" Crowe
    NCSUPaintball.com