Thread: Teardrop barrel bore making paint roll

Newton, MA :) (Moved, but still a Boston boy!)

Teardrop barrel bore making paint roll

OK, before I get flamed by people who can't stand a question being asked a different way, I have already searched for info that would answer this and didn't find anything fully conclusive. So relax and if you don't like this post, don't read it. I have searched so you don't need to remind me

My situation: I am about to have a fully loaded AGD marker: Black ULE body, Black XValve, Minimag rail, Black Intelliframe, yadda yadda yadda (technical term huh?). I trust Smartparts and think the Teardrop barrel looks cool and will be using it as my primary barrel. I especially like it because it was a $50 barrel. It will accomodate most of my paint but I notice alot of paint will actually roll right out of it.

My question/concern: I am interested in a cool-looking, aluminium barrel in the $30-50 range that I can get to use if I happen to be stuck with smaller paint. It doesn't have to be perfect, but enough to minimize breaks if I am stuck using smaller paint. FREAK IS NOT AN OPTION. I fully understand all adjustable barrel systems. They are all $180+ and I am not pro and don't have tons to spend. An affordable smaller bore barrel (.68-.684 roughly) that still maintains moderate accuracy to keep as an alternative when the paint is so small that the Teardrop keeps breaking it is exactly what I am looking for. Looks would be nice as well but not critical. Available in black is always nice. Blue too. Any suggestions, past experiences, ideas for a good complementary barrel to the Teardrop would be appreciated. Thank you. Price and smaller bore are the key issues. Looks and accuracy are very close seconds

go for a custom products barrel, you can specify the bore you want and at about dollars a piece you can order 2 or 3, to fit dang near any paint
    Minimag p/f left
    Level X
    Black Blade Intelliframe
    12" JJ cermaic
    small blue shocktech drop
    12v xboard blue revvy

User feedback
    https://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71039

Don't be a Foo, go with CP barrels. They fit your criteria to a "T" The 1-piece barrels come in .685", .689" & .693"

Be advised, LX bolts measure .686", and won't work with small-bore barrels!

Custom Products

Yeah, I was actually looking at those barrels, how much do stores usually carry basic black 12" .685's for? I saw the retail at their site was $55 (which is usually the absolutely highest they want stores charging) but Actionvillage goes as low as $40. The places around here are pretty bad, I figured I'd get a good estimate.

How are these barrels for accuracy and durability? I think I'm definitely buying one but if they work well and are accurate I'd probably buy a second. Not sure which bore though because the Teardrop is definitely my primary and I don't care to have too wide a range of barrels, I don't aim to use paint over .69 and even with variability in production most don't get that high.

FlagCarrier Guest
    CP and armson are nice. go to www.paintballguru.com
    they have a list of barrel/paint charts to help you out.

i have a freak,and i dont even use it. i always find myself using my 12" CP. its just a nice barrel to me, accurate, pretty quiet, and a well made barrel. i say go for one.

exactly

That's exactly what I'm talking about! Everyone loves Freaks, and I do appreciate the fact they are adjustable to any paint. But at $180 for one aluminium back, one aluminium front, and the inserts I think it's too much. I am a fan of 1-piece barrels because you don't have to worry about the threads sitting well together, inserts wearing out, etc, or anything that could affect accuracy. A reasonable quality one-piece is nice, and at $50 you could get three varying Custom Products barrels and that should match any paint unless you use some obscure kind. I personally love Teardrops by Smartparts but they don't make any with a smaller bore.

Now, what is this about the maximum bore that should be used with a Level 10 Mag? What is the smallest bore I should get that will suit small bore paint but also not cause the bolt to scratch, jam, or otherwise be damaged or misperform by using the barrel with the Mag? Basically I want to go as low as I can to suit paint such as Diablo, etc. I bought some RPS Swirl (hey, I was at Walmart and wanted some mess-around paint, I know it's crap) and realize the Teardrop would be too big for it to be accurate and not break much. I want a barrel that can suit that paint and other paint with its bore. Any ideas for the best barrel bore to go with?

Go with an Equation barrel (either a Pro or a Bizerk) and just get the insert size you want. The Bizerk is quite inexpensive, especially with one insert, and it gives you the option to buy more in the future.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

That's exactly what I'm talking about! Everyone loves Freaks,
    read my post. i have one and dont even use it. the only reason i have it is b/c the LX bolt cannot be used in a barrel under .686". i bought the back, front, and a couple small inserts. if paint is close to .689", i use the CP. if you go and buy 3 cp's for $50, you are spending $150. if i were you i would just buy the freak and a couple of small bore inserts, and be done with it.

I have a .685 CP one-peice, works fine with the LX.

"super multi-green mag" Cp barrels, LX bolt, no-rise, intelli, 47ci flatline, halo................
    Red dragun body, turbo valve, 12" Boomstick, Spud magics anti-chop bolt with quickstrip, ELCD, nitroduck 68CI,Gas thru stock, 12V revy, AGD Warpfeed system
    Xen's paintball pages

xen_100 said,
    I have a .685 CP one-peice, works fine with the LX.
    The LX bolt head measures .686". That is .001" BIGGER than the barrel. It is physically impossible for that set-up to work...I have a .685" Armson barrel...that's a no-go with LX.

Either your mistaken on the barrel's bore diameter, or your barrel is mis-labeled and doesn't measure .685"

Take the LX bolt. If it fits into the barrel by hand, then the barrel is not a .685" bore.

well acording to my calipers the barrel bore is 0.6857......the LX bolt is .685. it fits fine.

Cool, you have calipers that read to the tenth (.0001")

Snug fit with the LX.

electronic kind from work. they have .0001 resolution.

it is a very nice fit, if it was much smaller it would not fit. in fact it has scratched the ano off the ID where the bolt rubs it.

CP Barrel

Hey Xen, have you had any problems with the bolt not firing into the barrel because it's slightly offcenter and hits the back of the barrel? Seems with the bolt sitting on the spring that could be a risk. I got no problem if the barrel gets a little scratched where the bolt goes if it means I can use a .685 barrel. The bolt doesn't get scratched does it? I don't have a body for my gun yet but I'm going to play with this. I got my cocker-thread Teardrop now though and I get the ULE Thursday.

I will try that trick with putting the bolt in the barrel, stores aren't too fond of using their barrels before deciding to buy it but they probably won't mind me measuring the bolt fit. If .685 works I'll use a .685 and the Teardrop, that should suit all paint basically, with variability I really don't need one in between those two and obviously smaller isn't an option.

And the point isn't specifically the money. I personally like 12" all aluminium one-piece barrels. Simple and if one gets scratched it's an easy and cheap replacement. I know, Freak parts are cheap on their own but I still prefer one-piece and definitely prefer the looks of the Teardrop.

it may get a little stratched, but not much. stainless is alot harder than aluminum.

as for it being off center. unless you have a defect, it shouldn't do that. that powertube and the spacer that is in the body do a good job of keeping the bolt centered. it if didn't, it would leak, alot.