Thread: The AutoMag pistol.

The AutoMag pistol.

Probably old news, and possibly not the space to put this so delete and or move as needed.

One of the great falsehoods people tell about AGD is that they used to produce actual firearms instead of paintball markers. While most of us know this isn't true I always wondered where the rumor had started and looked into it from time to time. This weekend I found a book titled "The Complete Encyclopedia of Pistols and Revolvers, by A.E. Hartink. Published in 2002 by Chartwell Books Inc.

The second entry is for a company called "AMT", or Arcadia Machine and Tools Inc. Below is a small section of what is written for AMT.

"AMT stands for Arcadia Machine and Tools Inc. The company has gone through a turbulent period. Initially, AMT was established in Covina, California. It became famous for the AutoMag pistol in .44 AutoMag and .357 AutoMag. In 1989, the factory moved and changed it's name to IAI: Irwindale Arms Incorporated. New models were given the name IAI, though the old models continue to be called AMT. A few years ago, the company got into difficulties. After a new start, production continued under the name Galena Industries Inc. The company is still located in Irwindale, California. In the period 1965-1969, the American designer Harry W. Sanford designed a large heavy pistol. It had a completely new caliber: .44 AMP, the abbreviation for AutoMag Pistol. He marketed this pistol in 1969 under the name AutoMag. The auto loader has a rotating bolt with six locking cams. The locking system is similar to that of the Colt M16 Rifle. Sanford's small gunshop was extended to become the AutoMag Corporation (AMC)."

The rest of the entry goes on to explain where the cartridges for the pistol are made and a history of the pistol itself from the AutoMag1 all the way to the AutoMag5. The AutoMag5 is a .50AE caliber that was in production from 1993 to 1996.
    The Living Embodiment of Death

probably not, there has been a lot of different questions about AGDs past, to name one: "did AGD make nail guns"...

im almost sure the line in AGD was like a darwin chart excapt instead of starting on monkey and ending on monkey, they started on paintball and ended on paintball

Tom said the automag was named after that actual gun, because it looked somewhat like it
    Hey
    AIM: FalconGuy016
    BANG!!!

hmm could be. can someone find a pic of the automag pistol?

I found a 44 automag

The pic mite help

yup it sure does look alike

personman Guest
    Originally posted by BTAutoMag
    yup it sure does look alike
    What are you smoking?
    I can see a SMALL resembalence

nice

those were awesome pistols. There are few firearms that I intend to add to my collection, but that is definately one.

-rob

TAG Factory

Powered by:
    http://www.TheAngelGuy.com
    http://www.RegulatorsOutpost.com (Largest Paintball Field in Northern GA)

Originally posted by personman

What are you smoking?
    I can see a SMALL resembalence
    i see a resemblance, single tube design, and the stock minimag barrel resembles that thing

Wc Keep Guest
    tom kaye is a huge dirty harry fan. and dirty harry carried a 44 automag because it was the biggest baddest gun. and thats the story behind the name of the mag.

WC is right. Stole the name from the DH movies.

AGD

oh thats great... i have a stitch in my side now... oh that was funny... so i have a new name for the automag now

the dirty tom

Originally posted by AGD

AGD
    Are you refering to his S&W or the one that he was shooting at a tree/steel plate with another fellow (who had a 12 guage)?
    I throw newspapers for the OC Register, it sucks...

in the storyline (i think it was the 2nd or 3rd movie)
    someone gives dirty harry the gun for i dunno saving their wife's life or something like that
    i forget
    but i did read that the 44 automag used in the movies were custom built and copied the amt's version but weren't actual amt automags
    TheDuelist "The problem is that Tom has developed the VW Beetle of the paintball industry. It's almost too good to change and far too reliable."

Wc Keep Guest
    Originally posted by AGD

AGD
    of course im right.........actually tom told me this over dinner at south carolina.

And the quotable TK also says it here.

https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...automag+pistol

It's a good collectible. But it was made of stainless steel in a time when stainless steel was...less than perfect. It was trashed pretty easily by little ammounts of use, so finding one in good condition is pretty hard. I'll stick to my Desert Eagle and sig p220 sport before I picked one of those up.

Quote Originally Posted by germanman
    It's a good collectible. But it was made of stainless steel in a time when stainless steel was...less than perfect. It was trashed pretty easily by little ammounts of use, so finding one in good condition is pretty hard. I'll stick to my Desert Eagle and sig p220 sport before I picked one of those up.
    /me sighs.

Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

Desert Eagle
    /me sighs again.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." --Henry Louis Mencken.

Heh...
    Back at this...
    #CF01107 68 Classic / #EM01513 EMAG / #MM05814 Pump ‘mag

Ah, geez. I'm getting email notifications on two year old threads.
    Shaun Nelson --- old, fat, slow.... did I mention lazy? I ate all the pies
    I disable .signatures Apparently you do not.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh

Lol, didn't realise how old this was, sorry for beating a dead mule here...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bofh

lol, i remember this thread. that is weird...
    Hard work never killed anybody...but why take a chance?
    My Team=Blackhearts
    My Field/Store=Paintball Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag
    probably not, there has been a lot of different questions about AGDs past, to name one: "did AGD make nail guns"...

im almost sure the line in AGD was like a darwin chart excapt instead of starting on monkey and ending on monkey, they started on paintball and ended on paintball

And of course some branches into military and police equipment and training. And rockets...

LOL, its already resurected, I assume its cool to post, right, right. besides, thats the oldest thing I have ever quoted, I think
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. Its not" - Dr Suess