Thread: Car Guru's, suggestions please! :)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Car Guru's, suggestions please! :)

Well, I have to let go of my old mustang before the summer, she was a good car but won't be able to handle the driving I'll have to do (ie long highway trips and possibly stop and go downtown). I worked long and hard for her in a crappy job, and I'll miss her! She was a 89 4cyl, and I had her for a year, and now I'm looking for some more power and a newer car. I come to you all for suggestions.
    I was looking at newer GT mustangs, but my father said they aren't built very well and he'd rather I look at something else, and since he is loaning me the money I have to accept that, even if that statement is false. I'm currently looking extensively at camaros, specifically a 1993 5.7 LT1 6spd, but I really need more suggestions. Fords are out, ALL JAPANESE CARS ARE OUT (becasue I hate them ) and I don't really need a pickup or truck. If anyone could recommend a powerfull, well built car for me, it would help me immensely. I know alot of cars, but I feel like I'm overlooking something! and it would be silly of me to just look at camaros. thanks again everyone!

ps- I have about 10,500 CDN dollars to spend on the car, I think thats works out to like 7000 american, but i'm not sure

If you can find one in your range:

94-96 Chevy Impala SS.

I know you said camaro, I personally like the impala better and it has the same engine as the camaro, unfortunately, I have yet to see a 6 speed impala.

OR

if you have the passion, time, and patience, pick up an older chevy car, maybe a monte or a malibu and build your own engine in it.

I did this for my truck, and overall, i got a 383 stroker, linehoned, decked, magnafluxed (nothing big) and bored .060 over.. machinework plus parts cost me about $7500, I bought my truck for $3000 tho.. i prolly could have gotten it cheaper.

As long as you're checking out Camaro's, look at some Pontiac Firebirds, Formulas, or Trans Ams. You could also look at some Monte Carlos, like the SS models in the 80's, because the Monte's from the 90's are basically 2-door Luminas.
    - There's no replacement for displacement.

"It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn."

AO Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle: Donatello

94-96 Impalas are damn fast too. It can be a nice "G ride" too...

Originally posted by MagMan5446
    94-96 Impalas are damn fast too. It can be a nice "G ride" too...
    I have a 96 Impala SS. 383 stroker was put in. 500+ hp. best of all no knows how fast it really is. Its a little tough on tranny's though.

For long trips get a 98 or newer F-Body with a 6 speed. 30MPG on the highway with a good amount of power. The LT1's are a little worse on gas. Do not buy a V6.

unfortunately, I can't afford an LS1, they are *way* over my budget. the only camaro's I look to be able to afford are from 93-95, does anyone have any comments on camaros from these years? quality, common repairs, etc. thanks alot guys!

93 mustang cobra. The best Mustang ford ever made under on a budget. Anything else... it's just second best
    "I want to thank the Canadian people who came out to wave, with all five fingers, for their hospitality,” -President Bush (Tuesday November 30/04)

Yeah, those 93's are very nice, but it would be quite a task to find a 93 cobra here in Vancouver, I've only ever seen one in my time in this city, albeit I've only really been looking at cars for about 3 years now. But it's a moot point, my father said no Fords, and to be honest I want to try something different. I alse want a more refined car than a fox body, after driving my 89 for so long I simply want a more solid driving and powerful car, but I'm sure the 5.0 is quite quick besides, an LT1 will spank any mustang of a similar year methinks. 275 horsepower and 325 ft/lb's STOCK is plenty for me! should be interesting going from a driving a 4 cyl for a year and a half to 350 V-8, hell it'll kill my dads G35 Sedan!

ps- I am not giving up on Ford's, a 1965-67 Mustang is still one of my dream classic cars, along with a 69 SS Camaro

I'm not to fond of them personally but...

Talon TSi AWD (16 valve, 2.0L Turbo, DOHC, 195hp)
    , They were a blast to drive! AWD turbo with a manual tranny made for fun roads. Probably a little hard to find where you are but they don't go for too much today.

those are a tad ricey for me, well at least the few I've seen have been riced to hell with altezza's and such. I need me a small block V-8, owning one has always been one of my greatest desires. So what if I'll be in debt for awhile, so what if I will have no money to spend on women, big whoop if I can't afford beer. Wait, I'll have to make sure to set aside some money for beer but it'll all be worth it when I can cruise and (if I can find one) take out the glass and rock the t-roof

True dat!

There's no replacement for displacement!

BTW, I'm just getting ready to paint a '66 stang, 289 HiPo, w/ 4 spd toploader. Save your pennies, I'll be selling her in a couple years

got a picture of her? what color you painting her? I myself can't picture a 65-67 'stang in anything but fire engine red like Heat's mustang, man is that one nice, had it up as my screen saver for awhile actually!
    Last edited by Greg98; 05-12-2003 at 09:27 PM.

Cool You guessed it

More along the lines of neon red. Right now, with the hood, trunk lid, and doors off, and all in primer, there ain't much to look at. Here's a link to a pic of the engine tho Feel free to browse my, galleries

Re: I'm not to fond of them personally but...

Originally posted by Big'n slo
    Talon TSi AWD (16 valve, 2.0L Turbo, DOHC, 195hp)
    , They were a blast to drive! AWD turbo with a manual tranny made for fun roads. Probably a little hard to find where you are but they don't go for too much today.
    there's one of these in Downtown Des Moines that's called hte V-8 killer. Given it has 10000$ under the hood in cluding dual turbos, but the thing shut down any V-8 I've seen race it. The trick with that beast is the AWD 4 wheels pulling is better then 2

I'm trying to remember who said it. But one of those big shot car restore ppls once said a chevy 350 is about as good as fords 302. That's why ford stuck a 302 in their cars to compeat with Chevy.

Anyway, let me get this straight. something mid 90's no mustang, no trucks, no imports and some thing with power. No offence but I think you know what you want.. the only car that matched that desciption was a Camero.

Thanks Greg, quite the compliment on that 65 She's gone though and the 92 will soon be too. Any in Iowa looking for a souped up 92 Gt vert black with white/black leather interior, with custom fiber glasses inner doors and a 1300$ sound system ( not subs, just speakers, amp, and wireing ) Cervinis fiberglass body parts, AR rims 1000$ in tires Tremec 3550 tranny with a matched cobra/dual friction clutch and a steeda shifter with some other x-tras give me a buzz. It's only got 68000 miles on it and it's never seen snow and VERY little rain

Re: Re: I'm not to fond of them personally but...

Originally posted by Heat

\]

Anyway, let me get this straight. something mid 90's no mustang, no trucks, no imports and some thing with power. No offence but I think you know what you want.. the only car that matched that desciption was a Camero.

yeah, I guess you're right. all I was really looking at were mustangs and camaro's, and since he said no Ford's looks like the Camaro is my number one choice, although it always was. Thanks for the help anyway guys, I know some people here know a ton about cars and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking any nice cars that I'd regret not buying later! thanks again!

Think third gen camaro
    Buy like somthing with tons of mechanical problems or a 4cyl with a good body, do a 350 swap, or a 383 put in a t56 and your in buisness

WHy dont you put a 305 and a new tranny in that mustang.
    All your farm animals are belong to us.

Anyone who does a 305 swap should be shot, if your going to put in a new engine use atleast a 350

edit:
    Ok, I wasn't really thinking when I posted this, I ment he should get a camaro and do the 350.
    Last edited by PyRo; 05-14-2003 at 08:58 AM.

LMBO 305 in a stang.... bwaaahahahahaha great idea put a crapy chevy engine in a ford...ahahh ford makes a 302 the 305 is almost literaly as good as the v-6's you find in mid 90's mustangs...that's why chevy stuck 350's in their car and ofrd 302's just for refferance

302, 351 = Ford
    305, 350 = GM

You know what I meant you guys. The standard Mustang V-8 engine. Its the cheapest way to go I think and he owns the car.

to be honest, I had considered putting in a 5.0, but in the end it might cost only a couple grand less than a newer, and more reliable camaro. The 5.0 swap would run me 2500 CDN, but then my standard wheels and tires simply couldn't handle the power from the v-8 (since they were meant for the 4cyl) so then I'd need to buy new wheels and tires. I don't know about any driven train modifications I'd have to make, or gear ratio changes or whatnot, but just getting more power from my new car isn't the only goal. I just need something more reliable and newer, my mustang has had a few problems, and with the amount of highway driving i'll have to do this summer it won't stand up. And all I've heard from former and current camaro owners I know is that they are solid reliable cars.

Yes you would. FOr sure you could get some nice used mustang rims from the junk yard.

You would probably need a new axle, rims and maybe a transmision, but for that $2500 you will not be able to get something newer and paid for so keep it in mind.

I would say he would almost definalty need a new tranny with that swap, and probably need or want a new rear. Dude just buy my 91RS, the only thing that is wrong with it is the entire front end is completley oblitherated by a telephone poll.

Originally posted by Greg98
    to be honest, I had considered putting in a 5.0, but in the end it might cost only a couple grand less than a newer, and more reliable camaro. The 5.0 swap would run me 2500 CDN, but then my standard wheels and tires simply couldn't handle the power from the v-8 (since they were meant for the 4cyl) so then I'd need to buy new wheels and tires. I don't know about any driven train modifications I'd have to make, or gear ratio changes or whatnot, but just getting more power from my new car isn't the only goal. I just need something more reliable and newer, my mustang has had a few problems, and with the amount of highway driving i'll have to do this summer it won't stand up. And all I've heard from former and current camaro owners I know is that they are solid reliable cars.
    well DUH they own one... think a jeep owner will ever tell you they got massive rattle problems? heck no (they do, I got one but that's beside the point) I agree with you on the swap, while fox bodies are EXTREMELY upgrade friendly. a motor means new tranny, wheels, tires, suspension. those 302 are torque monsters you'll tear your torque boxes up in a hurry.
    Go for the maro man, they are all over the place just gotta look but don't settle for a auto .... practise some patience and wait till a manual shows up. Trust someone that didn't wait, you'll be MUCH happier

well, I also have a friend who drives a v6 and said he's had prblems with it, but meh. And I know about autos, as soon as I see an ad for a z28 with "auto" in it, I cross is off and move on 6 speed is the only way to go with that kind of power!

Originally posted by Greg98
    well, I also have a friend who drives a v6 and said he's had prblems with it, but meh. And I know about autos, as soon as I see an ad for a z28 with "auto" in it, I cross is off and move on 6 speed is the only way to go with that kind of power!
    atta baby