Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's welcome all the new guys with a "Here's My Story thread"

Post Let's welcome all the new guys with a "Here's My Story thread"

All,

Well now that the giveaway is over let's get to know all the new people by posting how and when you got into paintball. For all you new guys, welcome to the AO family and we hope you get to know all of us as we sure would like to get to know you. Remember we run a PG forum here with an emphasis on FRIENDLY, no flames allowed.

I'll go first:

I first heard about paintball in 1985 when some of my friends were playing on their own land in Wisconsin. Well I knew I had to try it so my girlfriend Carol and I drove up and they loaned us two guns (PGP's). Carol wanted to go on the other team. We played the first game and I snuck up on her and told her to SURRENDER!! She looked at me and yelled "I never surrender!" and snap shot me in the leg.... Well saddly enough I played my first game, didn't get a shot off, had the upper hand, and got taken out by my woman. Not a pretty story but it's that cruel reality that makes paintball fun.

After playing a few times that year I bought my first gun, a bolt action Sheridan rifle. After loosing a large customer I went to PMI and talked to them about making a plastic mask which later became the PMI Faceshield and the rest as they say is paintball history.

Tom Kaye

[This message has been edited by AGD (edited 06-11-2001).]

Wink

Tom.....
    do you ever goto sleep??????

well, theres not much to tell in my story, I had been to the CNE (in Toronto) one year, probably like, 6 years ago, and had seen a paintball thing there, where you could rent some stuff and try it, of course I didnt have the time to try it, but was able to watch for awhile (I unfortunatly live 3 hours out of Toronto) a year or so later, I found a paintball magazine in a local book store, and at the time, it hadnt become an addiction yet, something I'l "like to try someday" when I had some money, I picked up a Raptor from the local Wal-Mart, where my friend had gotten a Stingray for christmas the year before.... after about a month of cursing at the Raptor, I took it back to the store, saying it was 'defective' because it broke more paint than it shot (which was somewhat the truth mind you) this pissed my friend off, because for now, he had no body to play against, I spent a year or so more saving, and ended up getting my MiniMag, which I have upgraded quite considerably, and still love to this date... and it actually works well! anyhow, thats my story...

my first time with paintball was about 5 years ago. I went to a get together with some friends and we all went paintball. The first game of the day some old timer told me and my friends to hit hte middle and the rest would take the left and right. SO we listened to him and charged down the middle. Little did we know that when the paint started coming we would all freeze. I was so far down the middle and to scared to pop out that the other team easily lit me up from the side. After that I was hooked, and bought a spyder two days later. I played with that gun until about a month ago when i got my automag. And thats about when I discovered this website.
    Weasel

mine is quite simple...

once upon a time about 5 or so years ago, some of the guys in my boy scout troop were going to play at a semi-local field called splat zone. So i went with them and rented the typical rental gear (tip. pro-light scott mask). Played that day and had a blast.

Then four about 4 years i would go and play 2-3 times a year and always had fun. Then this past November i played again, and have been playing non stop. This past January i plunked down a bunch of hard earned money and have been going strong with my mag.

see, quite simple and not quite as humilliating as Tom's

------------------
    Rehab is for quitters!

I had heard of paintball, but for some reason I had just never gone, until one day back when I was in high school, in around 96, a bunch of us (bunch = 40-50) were supposed to go whitewater rafting at WhiteWater Rafting Adventures in Jim Thorpe PA. For those who know, WWRA is also the home of the paintball giant Skirmish. It turned out something happened involving the river that made it impossible to raft, I think it involved the dam, but I don't remember, but somehow they let us all go paintballing instead that day (how they pulled that off without having signed slips from our parents since most of us were under 18 I do no know). Needless to say we had a blast.

I played on and off during high school, our school librarian was a clueless but avid player. He is one of those people who has put piles of money into his Spyder, and thinks its the best gun in the world. But anyway, we used to go every few months or so, and we always had a blast.

Then, sometime last year, me and my friend Jeff decided to go pick up some Spyders, and start going more often. And we did. Then I picked up my MiniMag while Jeff still screams at his Spyder Shutter, and we go all the time.

------------------
    CamoSplashed MiniMag
    S/N MM12913
    14" SP
    Lots of stuff coming...

Smile

Well, the first time I played paintball was august last year. A friend of mine in class had been playing for a while, and wanted me to join. So I did. It turned out so that he was unable to join, so I just played with some others without him. It was a blast, but my economy was really weak at the time, so it took almost half a year before the next time. This was in january this year. This time I played with my friend, and got shot a lot... But it was still great.

I bought my first gun right afterwards. A Tippmann 98. After another couple of times, I bought a Flatline barrel. After another two times, I bought my friends gun, a Minimag. So now, after about 6 months of active playing, I play once a week with a great mag... And I love it!!

------------------
    - AGD Minimag
    - Jacko Infinity 14"
    - PMI Pure Energy 48/3000
    - VL Revolution 9v
    - ACI Subzero 6-stage
    - 299 fps

My story starts one year ago. My brother and his friends said they wanted to play paintball. They all bought eagle talons while i being the smart gun enthusiast i am did a little research and bougth a stingray. while i wanted a mag from the beginning the initial outlay was just too much. Had the greatest time ever playing outlaw in a lare wooded area. Have wanted to play again but have had a lack of money. This year i found they changed the design of the RT so i figured i should get the old version while i could still find it. I can't wait to go play at a field the first weekend in july when i have money.

btw Stingray is not a bad gun, just needs a little work: new detent ball, new bolt, triggerjob, bottomline, new barrel, and some time to do all this yourself because no airsmith will get near the gun.

------------------
    • Blue Smear and Chrome Automag RT p/f
    • Dye 14" BOOMstick
    • PMI perfect bore Ceramik
    • Hyperflow 201 68ci 4500
    • Centerflag Drop forward
    • Wish List:
    • V-Force Morph Metallic Blue
    • Z-Grip

Cool

well it was my second year of high school. I bough a stingray2, vl200, 500paintballs and a 9oz co2 tank. I bought it just for kicks and shoot stuff around the house with something ohter than a bb gun. ignorant me thought that the 9oz tank came full, gues what, it wasn't. so next day in class I'm talking to one of my friends about it and another friend overheard me and told me about a paintball store that I could go fill it up. so I went to the store, the owner told me that he has never seen me before and asked me if I played, I said no, I just bought a gun just for kicks. he asked me if I was interested in playing, I said sure I'll try anything once, he told me that they play on sundays after noons. next sunday after work I showed up at the field, everyone was packed up ready to leave, the owner asked me if I was there to play, I said no I don't have my gun with me, he said no problem, if I wanted to play he would supply me with equipment. so he gives me a rental spyder ready to go, a mask and a big jacket(I had a thin t-shirt). there was only 5 of us so the teams were uneven against me(he had an angel and I had the spyder) so the game starts and all of the sudden I see another guy running to bunker me and I shot him(you can imagine my exitement) he took out another guy and the last guy took out my partner, it comes down to a one on one. after about 6 minutes(the ref timed me) I got gogged(by the RT that I now own*evel laugh*) the game ended. the guy that took me out told me that I had never had that much problem taking out a first timer with a rental playing hopper ball. after that afternoon I've been hoked. Later AZZKIKR

Smile

It all strted for me about 4 years ago, a friend of mine asked if I wanted to play a private game. I said sure not knowing what to expect. We played for 4 hours using pump guns thinking that was the best thing ever. Soon after I got hooked now I have been through a spyder, minimag, and now my e-mag and play almost every week. This weekend we played our first tourney the Road to Aruba and missed qualification to the next round by 10 points. There is always next year.

Darren

------------------
    Mini Mag, E-Mag, Warp, Freak, Dye Boomstick

This is my E-Mag, when I absolutely, positivly have to paint every M.F. on the field!!!! Accept no substitutes!!!!!!!!!

Cool

In my neighborhood there is a large Federal Park that we play in. My first game was in 1987 with a PGP and I think I shot a grand total of 5 tubes (50 balls) in approximately 3 hours.

My first Gun was a Razorback III pump (which I still have). This gave way to an Enforcer then an F-4 Illustrator and finally my first MAG.

I now have two Mags, a Retro Mag a Rainmaker and my Razorback III. I play every Saturday in the Park and have been dubbed 'Field Master' by the store owner who expects me to watch over all play and guide new players.

~Fred

P.S. In early 2000, after playing around with different combinations I found Tom's email address wrote him about the E-Mag. I never thought he would answer, but I have received an answer to EVERY question I have ever sent him. This is why I I love AGD. Dedication to customers. Anytime I see someone looking to purchase a new gun, I always tell them about the Mag and to this day no one who has purchased one on my advice has complained.

------------------
    MagdoG
    Polished ReTro Mag, Polished Body Rail, Dye Double Trigger 45 Frame w/Pearl Grips, VL Silver Foregrip, 68ci Air America Apocalypse, 12v Revolution, 12" Aluminum Lapco Auto Spirit, 14" J&J Ceramic, 2X Stock 11"
    -------------------------
    Stock Automag 68
    Stock 99 Rainmaker
    I'd rather throw paint, than not shoot my MAG!

[This message has been edited by MagDog68 (edited 06-11-2001).]

About 8 years ago, in college, several of us would go to the local shop and rent pump guns and masks and go up to the local national forest and play various games. I ended up buying my own mask and stock class pump, a PMI Pirhana. I still own it, but don't have the required spring kits to chrony, so it isn't used much.

I started playing tourny in 96, which is when I bought my first mag, a PF with double trigger. (The old aluminum frame model.) I put a bunch of good and not so good upgrades on it, then sold it to buy a Shocker S/F. Big mistake. I finally got the shocker working, only to trade it and 400 bucks for my first angel LED.
    I have gone through 11 other angels since then, but I finally came back to AGD when they went electro.

And that's that.

DR

------------------
    Owned a PF mag in 96.
    =)

Hey Tom, I remember reading that story in one of the APG's a while back. But the way i got started i was at a friend's house for a project and he showed off his Pirahna to me, man i thought that thing was sweet. Later on, i asked him if we coudl paly sometime and he loaned me his stingray (man the shots go i whirls). Then i switched to a model 98, fixed that up a little bit, and gave it to my older brother. Then i saved up Birthday and Christmas money to finally get my mag about 2 months ago. Man do I love my mag. But anyways I've been playing since last November and, I Love This Game!

Pretty much the same.....

I had heard about paintball, and driven past the field I now play at many times. One weekend about 3 years ago my dad went up to play with some friends of his and was hooked. He came home and wanted to order his own gun. I helped him pick out a Spyder SE package. I went up the next weekend for the first time, played with a rental F-2. This team shows up to play with the walk ons, they had many cases of paint, and some guy that would haul extra paint and a video tape the games. They also would not split up. So the ref split teams up, with my team loosing several games in a row. Finally the ref at least gave my team a numerical advantage and we won. I got a nice hopper hit on one of the "team" guys(I learned the phrase Check you hopper very quickly).

After that day, I knew I had to get my own eqiupment. I started looking around, and had I had the $$$$ I probably would have bought a used shocker for some reason. It was the end of the season anyway, so I waited til spring. Spring comes around, played with my dads SE, talked him into getting some upgrades(Revolution, barrel, remote). Then I got my first mag. I couldn't decide on a mag or a cocker, and I decided I would take whatever auction I won first on paintballauction.com, it turned out to be a mag(thank god). Got rid of that mag, and got what I am using now.

K Well I am new around here and the main reason why I joined this forum is to find out about some ?'s I had on mags. I have been playing probably since 94 or 95. Not really sure though. First gun was a ICD Alley Cat. Now I play with a Spyder Shutter with a boo-yaah ELCD frame and a dye boomstick. Now I realize how nice and easy it is to customize a mag and wish I would of got one instead of my shutter. I am really big into wrestling and hockey. Even though I don't do either. I just watch them. I play paintball whenever I can get out with friends. I am looking to maybe get a team together and go into a beginners tourny. First I want my mag though. As for a job I am a mail clerk for Washington Group International (formerly Morrison Knudson) I live in the Salt Lake City area. Over the years I have gotten to know the guys at the local shop (Pegleg Paintball) I have them to thank cause w/o them I probably wouldn't be playing Paintball still. So with all that said I am glad to be here and I hope to get along w/ everyone on here. Oh and forgive me if I ask stupid questions. I am still learning. Hope to hear from everyone sometime.

------------------
    I must shoot my enemy before he shoots me.

Here goes

I started playing paintball in 1989. I had just turned 16. My first time playing was with a tippmann sl-68 rental gun. After that day I was hooked and bought a nelspot 007(used)(which I still have). Guns I have owned.. Apex Elite(best pump I have ever had) Black Widow Deluxe(nice pump) TM-11A(good pump for the price) Phantom(highly overated IMO) Tippmann 68 Special(ah my first semi. Gas hog but oh it was sweet) PMI-3(Later known as the VM-68. Sucker was heavy but definately a unique gun) F1 Illustrator(A good semi that I used for a long while)Autococker(oh lord the horror. I had one of the original first ones shiver). Current day setup is Tippmann Model 98 custom. Minimag(I love this gun) and my new baby a Black Dark Angel 2.0. I plan on getting an emag sometime before the year is out. I just really like them. Hobbies include Computers, Art, Reading, Fish(breeding), Putting model kits together, Collecting things(my weakness), and of course Paintball. I work in the computer industry as a Computer tech. I am not a tourny player and not sure I will ever be. I don't consider myself a super player either. I enjoy paintball though for the game itself. It is a way for me on the weekend to get out and relax and have some fun with my friends.

FizNid

ok i can do this,

i started 4 years ago when i went to my local field and rented. Had a ton of fun, but because i was only 12, had no job, and my parents arnt rich, i couldnt afford to play on a regular basis, i played twice more that year, the following a couple more times, and then i finally got a job, got cash, and when i first entered the sport just going a couple times a year, i subscribed to APG, now for 4 years, from reading reviews and info on products i knew what i wanted, a automag, so i saved my cash, and bought an automag and slowly tricked it out, i started playing at least once a month and still have the same gun, now adding a retro valve. Man i love this sport....

------------------
    "Hannibale Ad porte"-
    Translation Hannabals at the gate

-tricked out automag
    -retro valve(on the way)
    -warp feed(on the way)
    -12v
    -Freak Barrel system
    -Dye 45* frame
    -Z-GRIP WANTED***
    -Flatline 68ci 3000
    -sticky grips

-And a paintball flying towards you at 280fps

A small planet somewhere in the neighbourhood of Betelgeuse

Well my first game was some time in the early 90's when I lived in California. I played indoor with a group form the local gaming club (Warhammer and that sort of thing) I got hit between the (shop) goggles and the helmet (yes we had to ware helmets, sad I know) by a girl who had never fired anything more complicated then a rubber band before, and who then proceeded to take out the other 2 ppl who were moving up an ally with lots of cover with me. I was humiliated and hooked. I only played a few games after that until about 2 months ago when a friend who goes though more guns and paint then I care to think about got me back into it, I borrowed an old broken down mag, after a bit of work it was the sweetest think I have put paint through and now my micro is on the way.

------------------

There must have been a time
    when we could have said no.

Back when I was 17 (23 now) I played at a local field with my scout troop with a rental SL-68. I was the first person out, 10 or so seconds in, but the rest of the day I did great. I then went out and bought a BE Tiger Shark, played with it once, went out and bought a BE Stingray played with it for a couple of years, bought a Tippmann 98, tricked it out and played with it for a couple of years, and have recently upgraded to an E-mag.

------------------
    Die Screaming

Well, I was originally Sting 2041 then COLORShypermag...now I am a born again Christian,so JesusFreak

well my first gun was a be taLOn and me and my friend played in my backyard for 2 weeks then i boughta spyder package eventually upgraded it to a $800 dollar LP Bob long millenium, then i sold it and bought my RT, i luv it and will never go back. i know play on Team Nameless (scenario team)www.teamnameless.cjb.net

Humm lets see...

The year after the L.R.R.P.'s won the NSP World champion ships ( so maybe 88 ) a friend came back from a trip with 2 Splat masters 1 set of goggles and some paint. I got my old wielding mask.goggle and we played in his back yard

Played a few times a loved it even got a catalog and prices out what I wanted.

But I couldn't find a local place to play ( little did I know that 30 mins west of me was the Field the LRRPS played at ) so a few years went by.

I was just starting to get into this thing call the Internet, a few local BBS's were getting new Groups and allowing email to be sent to real email adds not just on the local BBS system. I was in one of the groups and I notice a local user with teh signature of "Paintball Mainac" so I emailed him and talk to him on teh phone found out where the local field was and Well.... I didnt miss a day the first 2 years ( sat and sundays ).

Had a great day with rental Pro-Am, Uvex Goggles, Woodstalker mask wearing my George Town sweat pants soccer cleats and a Olive drab Army shirt. I was quite the fashon hound hahaha

I got killed in teh first 15 seconds of my first game ( I learned you dont lay down behind ceader trees ) and I got 5 kills, 2 flag pulls and hangs and meet some of the best people in my life.

That was Aug of 92. I rented 2 more times started to ref, started saving money and I was looking hard at gettinga PMI-3 with Bottom line and Smart Parts barrel. I was mooching everything I could get my hands on to try, talking to the team players and what not, then some one put a minimag in my hands and it was love

I bought my Automag, 20oz tank, SP Barrel for the bargin basment price later that week for $735 and I was glad to get it because at that point in time AGD was back ordered something like 3,000+ guns and I had heard Smart Parts had just gotten a larger shipment in.

I still have that gun, and I at best guess belive it has Shot somewhere between 1,000,000 and 1,250,000 balls and it was still my most activally used gun until I got my Emag and Warp.

I ahve owned a few Cockers, Lots of mags, and a few neat pumps but when the moneys on the line I shoot my Mags. I enjoy playing with my SHO and Autocockers but I wouldnt stake a tournament on them.

Anyways...

-Robert

Played my first game about 10 years ago when a couple of friends of mine talked me into it. First game... the whistle blew and their was some shots, then silence (indoor smal field) I popped my head up over a bunker and just as I was about to say "Hey, I dont see anybody!" SPLAT right in the goggle lenses!!! I was immediately hooked and went out and bought a Tippman Carbine and all the fixins'. Wouldn't ya know it about 3 months later my buds sold all theyre gear, but not me. I kept playin' alot making new Pball friends and bought my first mini mag back in 96'. Now I'm trying to put together a team for those high $$$ amateur tourneys at SC Village this year.

Level 7 Mini
    Nickel Plated, Anodized
    2x trig
    12" Dye Boomstick
    Apocolypse 3k 68ci

------------------
    dat...dat...dat... "Check yourself!"

[This message has been edited by MiteyWhitey (edited 06-11-2001).]

Kicked it off early with a Nelspot 007 I got god knows where... Moved up to a Tippmann 68 Special and had a short stint with a BE Raptor (hey, we all make mistakes) before trading it for a Tippmann M98. Then I bought my first mag, which went through massive upgrading and field play before selling it to a teammate when I got my E-mag.

New Years day, 1994 was the first time I played paintball. It was at the old Showdown field in Utah and my youngest brother had talked me into going. I played with a rented Tippman SL-68 and had a great time. I knew I was hooked when I gogged a guy who stuck his head up in the window of a building and became my first elimination. Two weeks later I bought my first paintball gun.

my first time playing paintball was about a year and a 1/2 ago at a local park. We had 3 guys, a Spyder SE and a Tippman Model 98(damn I hate the latter). 2 weeks and 17 welts later, I played at the Paintball Jungle, my local field, and I've played there ever since, i'm gonna play my first game of hyperball and sup-air in a couple weeks....

Wink

I first went with a friend in 10th grade... his church had a private game. When we got there, they asked us if there was anybody that wanted to play with the walk-ons, so they could have more people. I said sure, not knowing what I was getting into.
    My Dad had come along, so we went up the right side of the field. I saw another person, stopped and turned to ask my Dad, "You think he's on the other team?" By the time I finished saying this the game lit us both up and we conveniently stepped right out of bounds, under 2 minutes after the game started.
    I'd like to think I've come a *little* way since then

Mantis

i started playing the 2nd day of my 9th grade year , when i meet some people at my school who played , they let me borrow a raptor , it did fairly ok , two weeks later i bought a raptor extreme , i did spent one week with out cursing that thing , then i bought my self a m98 , great gun , on to have it stolen at a tourney , then i bought a spyder from a friend , it did ok , but about 3 months ago i bought a standard feed mag , it was good but i sold it and now i have my very own black teflon p/f retro mag , and im in 11th grade now , and ive played paint ball every weekend since i first started , rain or shine im onthe field , and i love my mag

The first time I played was at a friends birthday party back in '97. I had a blast. I had rented a prolite pump gun. After that experience it took a few years before I actually got into the sport. In the spring of 2000 I bought my first gun, It was a Spyder TL plus. I also convinced a friend to buy a gun with me so I wasn't alone. (son who won the e-mag.) My dad also bought one. So one weekend son, my dad and me went and played up to my camp in Maine. We just snuck around the woulds shooting each other...it was fun. Then XspyX bought one so we had another player with us. Than some other kid who owns a shocker bought one that we really don't like much. . XspyX and son knows who i'm taklin about. Anyway, we have started gettin into tournaments this spring and hope to continue with our new team Backdraft.

OH yea, I forgot, We also have another player who bought one. Our team consists of 5 players right now.