Thread: Searching for a BB/ Pellet Gun

Post Searching for a BB/ Pellet Gun

Hey im looking into buying a BB/Pellet gun as an intro into hunting. My price range is 40-80. Right now im looking into a Crosman 2100B. The reason its on the top of the list is beacuse of Crosmans Rep. and also because of its power for the price. If you have another suggestion please let me know. I do want a .177 Caliber pellet gun. And i would like it to also be able to shoot bbs.

Any help would be much apreciated. Thanks!

hehe thanks Army. I have looked through the daisy line before. One thing I don't like about them is they seem to deliver enough power. The crosman seems to deliver the most for what I want to spend right now, although I may not know what I'm talking about. To hunt small game about fast does the pellet have to be going?

I will also suggest that you check out the Gamo line of guns. I feel you should limit yourself to a barrel-break type of action, if your serious about using the gun to hunt small game. The large spring will deliver adequate power, the barrel will be nicely rifled and accurate, and it will be quick to reload (compared to any pump gun) Avoid guns that can also fire steel BB's, because accuracy will suffer with pellets.

I use a .22cal Beeman RX-1 (firing Eley Wasp pellets @ 780fps) w/a Beeman 3-9X scope. It's a lethal small game machine out to about 35yds or so. It cost a bit more than $80, though!

edit: check out thess Winchester pellet rifles, made by Daisy,

http://daisy.ifware.com/cgi-bin/dais...inchester.html

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/showa...53455&dc_id=59

------------------
    Micro E-Mag in Wild Tiger ~ Conquest 88/4500 ~ PTP Warp Feed
    Spyder TL+ ~ LP ~ eLCD ~ AGD Flatline ~ Warp Feed

[This message has been edited by Russ (edited 09-02-2001).]

Might want to check Gamo's website (gamo.com) and see if they have a rifle in your range. I think they may be a little over what you want to spend though.

-Rick

Cool

Try Daisy: http://daisy.ifware.com/cgi-bin/dais...ne_rifles.html

This is the adult line of their guns. While they won't shoot BBs, you don't want a smoothbore for hunting anyway. You want all the accuracy possible to be fair and honest to the game you will shoot.

This is the Daisy youth line: http://daisy.ifware.com/cgi-bin/dais...cts_daisy.html They do shoot BBs.

Here's another option, though pricier: http://www.gamo.com/ushome.html

And remember: "You'll put your eye out"

------------------
    EIB

Thanks for your input russ. I did not know that if i had a rifle that shot bbs and Pellets my accuracy would suffer, and its a good thing i now know cause i was looking into BB/Pellet Rifles.

But i still need to know, when hunting small game, what velocity do i need to be able to shoot at?

Just to let you know, Daisy is BE. Crossman is Sheriden. I have owned both. A Daisy Glock Replica, single action. And a crossman revolver. The crossman is still working perfectly, and gets about 10 more fps. The glock, I gave away cause it was jamming and not shooting anything, so I guess BE keeps up it's bad name in the world of bb/pellet guns. Also I would goto a good sporting goods store, they will let you feel the trigger and stuff. The only down side to my revolver is the trigger is heavy and long.

------------------

Cool

Don't try anything bigger than a rabbit and only try for headshots. If you can't hit the head, do not shoot the animal.

Your $ range is going to limit you to about 500fps tops which is adequate for rabbits down to squirrels and gophers and small edible birds. Limit your distance to 25-30 feet MAXIMUM, pellets simply do not have enough energy after that to humanely take game, although squirrels can be shot a litle farther away as long as you hit them in the head.

That will be your major limit; your ability to shoot. If you can't keep ten shots inside a quarter at 25', then you will need to practice practice practice until you can. It's the least you can do for the critter you plan to kill, to kill it quickly and humanely. Shooting it in the butt is NOT an option!

Good luck

------------------
    EIB