Thread: Do people really work like this? - Semi-Paintball related.

Post Do people really work like this? - Semi-Paintball related.

Disclaimer: This is paintball related, but at the same time it isn't. That made sense right? I just thought it would be better put here, than in the main forum.

I just saw a post on another forum where one guy who "always thought the mag were always stupid" (exact qoute), has now decided to purchase one.

Anyhow, his reasoning for now wanting a mag was because he saw a pic of the SFL/modular mag and it looked 'so much better'.

I'm glad AGD will undoubtedly have more business coming it's way in the near future; but are people this... umm.. err... dumb? From his reasoning for now wanting a 'Mag', you can say the only reason he thought Mag's were stupid in the first place was because they weren't good looking enough.

It's like buying a car or a computer, regardless of how it performs based on the outer shell alone. Anyone else think this is.... You know what?

Maybe I'm just in an irritated mood and had to let some steam out; any kind of steam. I have a deadline and have to finish my work by tomorrow night... *groans*

------------------
    RT Pro - Chrome Powerfeed Right
    Armageddon 68/4500
    KAPP Chrome Apoc Drop Forward
    12 vt Revolution
    Lapco Aluminum Autospirit 12"

[This message has been edited by Arturus (edited 09-02-2001).]

Yeah, it's just like a car.

I'm saving up for an engine...468ci which will cost me $8000+. It's going to be put in a POS '64 chevelle. People will think that this car is slow and if you kick it, your foot will go through it. But when I rev the engine....Ima blow their eardrums up.

IDEA?!

What's pleasing to the eye has a great deal to do with one's perception. Imagine if there was a clown car that had everything you could want mechanically in a car. It may do 0-60 in 4 seconds, but it's still a clown car, and you're gonna stay single for a long time. I wouldn't drive it, and neither would you. (At least, not when anyone was looking)

My gun works perfectly fine, but honestly... The EMag Extreme looks so good... gonna see if I can budget myself so I can afford one. I need a second gun anyway.

Or what if someone did a lowsy job powder-coating your gun a feminine bright pink when you asked for flames? Would you show that to people on the field? hahaha
    ------------------
    "Don't mill your tank." - Miscue

Miscue's Profile

[This message has been edited by Miscue (edited 09-02-2001).]

wow, I'm wrong guy to ask...

I bought a New Beetle and an iMac...

But it possible that the "look" got somebody to really take a good look at the spec's and the decide to buy it.

When I looked at the Beetle, I decided, why not and looked at the sticker... Which is when I found out that they come in diesel, and get close to 50 mpg.

I own a Shocker...'nuff said.

nice car idea. i've got a 1966 402 big block w/ loads of stuff done to it in a primer grey 1974 chevy truck. it's got enough torque to pull your house off the foundation but it's soooooo ugly you'd never let it near your house for it would decrease property value. so ppl are not smart to judge things by appearence.

------------------
    "give me an inch and i'll give you a bruise" team image.
    "Give me a plate of food and i'll give you back an empty plate" Terry Lane, team 5 to 1

this one goes out to the kids who drove 6 hours in a stolen car and missed the tourney!!!!

is it wrong to want to shoot you just so that i can hear the splats hit your goggles?

Miscue and Bofh - I pretty much agree with everything you've said Miscue. What's pleasing to the eye does have a great deal to do with a person's perception. (I want the E-Mag extreme too.. sniffs)

And there's nothing wrong with the idea of looking into a product or into anything for that matter, because of the initial attraction you had towards that 'something'.

Like you said Bofh, something can attract you due to it being eye candy... then hopefully you look into it and then you can decide.

By the way, I drive a VW Passat. Not only was it eye candy, but at the time it wasn't as popular as it is now; which was one of my motivations to purchase the Passat. I knew nothing about the car itself, but I looked into it.

If I agree with the both of you, what was my point then? Well read my post. This person, whomever he may be thought mags were always "stupid". Why? They weren't good looking enough.

Now, he thinks they're worth buying because they no longer look stupid; his only motivation in now wanting a mag. I'm sure he'll look into the specifications of the marker and make sure they're at the least in working/acceptable condition. I doubt there are many people out there who would buy simply from the "looks" alone.

That said what I've noticed many times when paintball players out there buy into a marker, - cockers, angels and the many list of markers that are popular - they buy into it because of it's "cool" factor and the aesthetics it provides. Then they hear of about how well it performs and about the inherent accuracy of a marker from others who have already bought into it. They buy it, with barely any personal research into it at all. And the ones who often do look into the specs of the gun; whether they are great or not, often convince themselves that it is all that's been said to be. In the end, they spend hundreds of dollars just for the 'cool' factor and because the 'crowds' said so. *grins*

Don't know about you, but that example to me speaks in volumes. Then again, the whole topic may be on the pointless side. I was just having a stressed out night trying to meet a deadline and needed something to babble about.

I'm babbling now. =p

------------------
    Armageddon 68/4500
    12 vt Revolution

[This message has been edited by Arturus (edited 09-03-2001).]

Arturus,

The car concept is the same, I've never looked at the Aztec at all. Because it's pig ugly (to me) and I might never know if it runs on water and the seats are covered in elk leather. It may be a great car, but I'm never going to get close enough to look at the sticker and read the specs.

That being said, I've also bought a '82 Jaguar because it's (to me) the best looking sedan ever built. After purchase, I've found it's not the best built sedan, however

Ugly vs. Pretty is something that shouldn't be an issue with paintball markers or Cars, but it is. And the problem is, not everone can say what is pretty and wasn't not.

I'm not fond of the SFL mags. I like the old style mags. I'm not big on flashy, but a lot of people are.

So somebody who doesn't care how a gun performs and is interested in looks, will buy a SFL, given the fact that most guns that cost a lot of money perform close enough to each other that it doesn't matter. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, maybe he is just stupid.

But I'm guilty of it too, I've bought cars based on the fact that they are the prettiest car ever. I've also bought a car based on it's frame design alone. (280i TVR) (go ahead and find any other production car with a tube frame...)

Looks are important, to most of the buyers in the would. The car industry is a prime example. I'm sure that the Aztec is faster, more reliable, has better gas milage, has more storage, cheaper to fix, and has 4 wheel drive. All better than my Jaguar...

But I bought the pretty shiny car... because Atzecs "were always stupid"

------------------
    Shaun Nelson --- old, fat, slow.... did I mention lazy?
    Brass Eagle .68 Pistol... It's pure fear in a easily cracked plastic housing.

lol - You want to know something? I don't disagree with a single word or example you've written.

And much of it depends on your preferences and what you deem to be attractive. I'm guilty of the exact same things myself - Obviously not of the exact same items.

but... Yes you are reading too much into it. *grins*

Since we're at it though, keep in mind when we buy markers we give the impression we bought it for it's performance and the quality of design put into it. Someone can say, I bought this specific type of gun because it's so much more accurate and has an extremely high rate of fire; and plus.. It looks darn cool and I can customize it all I want. That latter part being the 'cool' factor of the gun; which I don't mind having either.

When you bought that car (tube frame - grins) you yourself admit, you couldn't care less of how it performed; it's a whole different purchase than the reason most people buy into a paintball gun. Unless you have a lot of money and just want to collect pretty things.

Now try reading my first post again (which was mostly babble anyway..). This person thought mags were always stupid. Then he now has decided he wants one because it looks cool.

I can honestly say his intentions are not one of a collector, and his thoughts of how it performs are an afterthought to the fact it looked cool now.

Ugly = He probably spouted often how ugly the mags were and how they were so inaccurate.. etc etc. How Mags were paint blenders.

SFL/Cool = Hey, it's not ugly anymore. I can have this 'cool' looking marker and... umm.. yeah cool.

lol I'm being horribly biased here, but trying to clarify the reason of the first post. Like I said, I haven't disagreed with a single example you've given. I'm guilty of them all. Just that when I look into buying a car to race.. I look for performance and looks wouldn't hurt. When I look into buying a computer or a paintball marker; performance and reliability first, and would love it if they all looked like the SFL.

When I buy something because I thought it looked cool or pretty, and knew they were horrible at whatever they were built for? Obviously I won't be using them as a race car or to play Black&White with the highest graphic settings online.

I guess in the end I was referring to why people often purchased Cockers and Angels, and were against even considering a Mag. And where all these threads about how Mag's are paint blenders and are inherently inaccurate come from. Just incase, I actually love the trigger-pulls of a cocker and if I saw good deal on an angel, I'd buy it. Very happy with my RT Pro though. *grins*

Keep in mind when you pointed to the Aztec, at least you were able to be objective and admit they 'could' be good cars. Greater even than your Jaguar. That's the difference I suppose.

Blah, I think if we sat for hours talking about this we'd both agree on most of everything.

------------------
    Armageddon 68/4500
    12 vt Revolution

[This message has been edited by Arturus (edited 09-03-2001).]

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Arturus:
    Since we're at it though, keep in mind when we buy markers we give the impression we bought it for it's performance and the quality of design put into it. </font>
    We'll disagree here. I don't think the majority of people think this way. I would say that most people go by looks first (or cost) and then the specs. (I need to give a name this buyer in the first post... I'll call him "Chump".) When Chump looks at things, his most important feature is looks. Chump thinks there is "truth in beauty." I would also agrue that most of America thinks the same way. The problem is, you and I, know that there is no truth in beauty. But the chumps of the world think otherwise. We are all told from a young age that pretty is good and ugly is bad. Not just to look at, but to the core.

People will focus on the bad things on ugly things and only the good things on pretty things.

Most people haven't grown out of this, and I've noticed for most of the public, it takes a few years in the working world to sort then out. Some never get it, while some never the problem in the first place.

<font face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Blah, I think if we sat for hours talking about this we'd both agree on most of everything.
    </font>
    Yes, we probally would... However we both bought mags...

------------------

Smile

LOL, well...mags can look nice, depending on what you do to them. I do believe that you should buy something that fits your asthetic needs, but not base your purchase solely on that. Your purchase should be based on performance and price, along with looks.

Notice how I said 'impression'? Never said that it was the true reason, nor the initial attraction towards the marker.

And again, I agree with everything you've said. Annoying eh? hehe I guess through this thread my debate has never been about how the average consumer acts on their instincts to buy or what specific traits attract them to want a product. I agree almost completely with what's been said in your posts.

I have feeling we've covered pretty much everything, at least on the surface of the topic. Which is good enough for me. *lazy* Let's end it with a quote. Hmm... Forgot where I read this line, Leo Tolstoy maybe?

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."

------------------
    Armageddon 68/4500
    12 vt Revolution

yup, that was Tolstoy.

As you said, we've pretty much exhausted this. I agree again

------------------

ben_JD Guest

I agree also

But, I am one of the few folks who think the Automag looks inherently cool. I love cars with clean lines (my newest car came with a hand-painted stripe that I made them remove because it interfered with what I think are the cleanest lines on an automobile in a long time) and I think the markers with the fewest useless baubles are the most attractive. I am wanting to add a Warp Feed to my system, but I am leary of the way it looks (not avoidable, I know). It messes up the clean lines of my set-up.

I bought my Automag because of it's stability and ease of maintenance, but I am still convinced it is the best-looking of all markers.