Thread: visual basic program

visual basic program

Hey, i just wrote my first real program in vb and thought you guys might want to check it out! I know it's extremely simple..but it's kinda useful none-th-less. Here it is, Enjoy

Edit: Goto Bottom
    Last edited by mikey101; 07-25-2003 at 06:17 PM.

VB is straight bro, my dad has his own buisness and does that. He just wrote a program that deals with lottery tickets. Its being marked in south carolina rite now. The money is just rolling in (ok so he has sold 3 copys lol)

VB is pretty easy to master. I took CIS in DeVry and had one semester of VB. For our last programming project that was really extra credit, we needed to program a class scheduling program. I did mines in VB but found out that it was supposed to be in Excel Forms. Well since it was extra credit, I just left it in VB. When I turned it in, I told my teacher that I programmed it in VB instead of Excel. My teach asked me to show it to him and was impressed. That's when I found out that it was also a project that he was actually doing for DeVry. He also told me that he was so impressed with my work that he also did the program in VB. One more thing, this was in the days of Windows 3.1!

haha, windows 3.1? man, i remember that back when we first got a computer at our house! congrats on writin a nice proggie..it feels good once you're all done Have you done any more work in vb since then? or was that the end of the line?

math test here i come (hint hint)

its great for algerba

Not bad for a first project, keep at it!

Next time try a better color scheme.

I'd also look into error trapping.

I was able to break the program in 2 keystrokes and a click

Any guesses as to what I did?
    Potatoboy!

Originally posted by mikey101
    haha, windows 3.1? man, i remember that back when we first got a computer at our house! congrats on writin a nice proggie..it feels good once you're all done Have you done any more work in vb since then? or was that the end of the line?
    Thanks! My first computer was a Tandy 1000SL using DOS 3.1 with no HD. As for VB programming, after graduating I went into computers and networking. Programming is fun but networking was more interesting for me. My CCNA cert ends next year and I will start on my CCNP in a few months.

I can tell you exactly what you did..You were looking for X-Intercepts using the quadratic formula, however it came up with non-real answers (i) Same could happen with the pythagorean theorem if you take the square root of a negative number which also results in an imaginary number (i). I'm workin on v2.0 which will fix this problem. Thanks for pointing it out

Any other equations you'd like to see in 2.0?

actually, try even more simpler that that....

Computers don't like it when you try to make them divide by zero.

another good point..i'll be sure to incorporate that in the next version..keep 'em comin.

pbzmag: that's cool you're getting certified in CCNA. i'm not too sure what that is, but i'm guessin it has to do with networking? Anyway, I was going to take a couple semesters of a networking course then become cisco certified. Instead I went the programming route and am now setup to take 2-4 semesters of CSprogramming. I thought i'd get a head start by working with VB a little, now i'm completely into it and that's pretty much my life is reading tutorials on vb6 and studying other peoples source codes. Good luck with your training!

I didn't want to start a new thread, so I just brought this one back from the dead..

Anyway, I finished a half-way useful program this time. It's a multi-client chat that lets you be the host of the chat-room, or be a client. It's main purpose is for LAN parties or any network uses for that matter. All you have to do is connect to a host on your network, and it's like an offline AIM. I have put up two variations of the chat, which one you choose will depend on what needs you have. The first (v1.2) is the basic chat which will always connect on the same port wheather you are the host or the client. The Second(v2.0) comes with a couple new features:

-Local IP Address sniffer
    -Can host a server on ANY port
    -Can connect as a client on ANY port(must be same as host)
    -Fixed Tab problems

Make sure you read the read-me as this probably sounds a little confusing..sorry.
    The first is v2.0:

LPC v1.2

here's 1.2 for those who dont' want to mess with ports.