Thread: "barrel freezing"

"barrel freezing"

I just got a new scepter barrel and ule mag, (I'll have pics later) and after I'm done unloading a cuople rounds it gets super cold. No, I'm not using c02 I have a 88 flatline. The problem is, is that it gets so cold the barrel "sweats" and it's a *POOF to accuracy. I have never experienced this before with hpa!!

Help!!

also I started shooting just after I filled so I know the air inside the tank was warm
    Last edited by Miscue; 07-11-2003 at 07:11 PM.

Good Ole Amish Country, or just outside of lancaster PA
    was it just highly humid that day?

Originally posted by Tom in reffrence to a post saying he acted like my dad...
    "That's right!
    WHO'S YOUR DADDY!!"
    ALL QUIT AND NO GO!!! Team Icky Forest-Shatnerball 2003!!!
    www.tunamart.com
    DONT SUPPORT HYPOCRITICAL MISSLEAD YOUTH, BOYCOTT HK

ho cold is it in the house with your balls? You head outside and then maybe they sweat leaving some on the barrel?

I dont know you got me.

jb

yeah its fairly humid.

the whole barrel is cold though like it was put in the refrigerator. I shot it after the tank was filled and the air inside was warm!

Originally posted by gtrsi
    in the house with your balls? You head outside and then maybe they sweat
    jb

Originally posted by brett
    yeah its fairly humid.

the whole barrel is cold though like it was put in the refrigerator. I shot it after the tank was filled and the air inside was warm!
    when you compress air it gets Hot. when u release it, its Cold lol. Then the humidity(sp) would also effect alot
    RT
    Ace'd Emag (sold)
    Xmag (sold)

you kinda got it right. the pressure differential is causing local condensation on your barrel, the higher pressure making the vapor condense. the coolness is most likely from it re-evaporating.
    when you compress air you have to add energy to the system to force them into the smaller volume. this makes the now higher velocity molecules collide more frequently creating energy loss during these collisions, some light, mechanical(noise), but mostly through heat. this heat dissipates a certain amount of energy untill the system again reaches equilibrium. when you release the gas from the small volume high pressure enclosure to the "unlimited" volume low pressure environment you almost instantly release the energy creating some heat as well, the molecules are "cooler" but there is heat stored in the immediate surroundings, valve bolt and chamber area. while the ball is still in the barrel before the porting the barrel is still relatively highly pressurized and this will force the vapor in the atmosphere to condense on the immediate surfaces. the coolness to the touch is coming from the re-evaporation of the water like i stated earlier in this science lesson.

and i do believe i've taken up enough of your time with this fluid dynamics lecture so i'll jump out from behind the podium now.

another thing is you may have gotten a fill with some water in it, the water trap on the compressor may not have been functioning properly and you could have some, even just a bit, in the tank its self....ok shutting up now, its too late and i should be sleeping.

Well I played today and didnt notice it sweating so I guess it was a isolated incident.

I'm sure there wasnt water in my tank cuz the place I get my scuba filled at has like 4 filters for the air to go through.

Thanks
    brett