Thread: low pressure nad high pressure?

low pressure nad high pressure?

hiya whats the difference between yes i know one is high and one low but how does it effect things,also is the mag high pressure gun?thnx for your help

nomenclature

Lots of people toss around the terms LP and HP but aren't very clear about it. There are several pressures we're talking about. The input pressure we actually feed the gun, the operating pressure the gun actually uses and the bolt pressure or the pressure that actually acts on the paintball. The confusion occurs when someone markers have an optional inline regulator where as some have built in regulators (not counting any low pressure regulators that output lp gas to operate pneumatics).

In an automag, the valve already has a built in regulator (not for pneumatics). The operating pressure is, IIRC around 400psi, this is the pressure used to fill dump chamber. So, you need to feed your automag something like 600+ psi input pressure, it has an operating pressure of about 400 and iirc the pressure that actually hits the ball (remember, it expands before reaching it) is under 100psi. Now on an autococker, the gas that goes into the ASA would be your operating pressure. If you have no inline regulator, then your input pressure is your operating pressure. However, you could have a higher input pressure going into an inline reg and then outputs your operating pressure into your ASA.

A few years back, there was the claim that a lower pressure acting on the ball increased range and efficiency. That kind of talk has died down some and has been replaced with talk that a lower pressure on the ball decreases the possibility of chopping paint for several legitmate and non legitmate reasons. However, people frequently mistake input or operating pressure for bolt pressure. A gun with say, 100psi operating pressure does not have 1/4th the bolt pressure of a 400psi operating pressure mag. Bolt pressure is a much harder thing to determine so most people just toss around input and operating pressure figures. I once saw someone post data on actual bolt pressure they measured using a transducer placed in the breech. I remember the bolt pressure all being within a factor of two of each other even when the operating pressures varied by a much larger factor.

Its much better to actually learn the operations of your gun instead of just using the generic classifications of high or low pressure.

Very well said Wat. In addition to what he said or did not say, either way. (That rhymed!) Input pressure wise...yes an automag is a high pressure gun. The X-Mag requires about 650-700psi going into the valve. As Wat said though the input gets regulated down, even when the bolt moves it is generally under 100psi. But in terms of what other markers need as input pressure, a mag can be considered a high pressure marker. Especially RT-Pros. While they do not REQUIRE 850-900psi input, I find that the trigger is much more in my liking that way. Some markers are equipped with those screw in lp tanks for very little reasons..their input pressure is lower than a mags, but buying a standard tank and having it regulated down is almost the same in workings.
    2 da k da 2 Timmah.

Oh..it shoots da 620:1 .No problemo.

whew, im confused i better get some coffe and read that again hehe.So when my mag gets here,i can just buy a simple tank with a preset pressure?

Originally posted by stondroopy
    whew, im confused i better get some coffe and read that again hehe.So when my mag gets here,i can just buy a simple tank with a preset pressure?
    yes. any tank (including Co2) with an operating pressure of over 650psi will be fine

sweet