Thread: micro mags

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Very nice pics and markers.

I've a 2k9 bought brand new last year from PTP, and had absolutely no issues with it. I really like its look and it's shooting perfectly.
    I just had to put a Xvalve instead of the Emag valve I planned for it; because it didn't fit in the body.

I think the micromag gen3 or 4 is really the piece who's missing in my armory.

I hope I'll find a black gen3 or 4 with vert asa in good condition (at the same time I've money for !).

Mine:

Quote Originally Posted by mpsd View Post
    Mine:

Love it......t2w works just so well. Never thought of adding a gauge to the opposing port.
    Last edited by barkingspider; 10-20-2013 at 03:45 PM.

My 2k9 micro emag

Quote Originally Posted by MAGgot View Post
    The Micromag is the greatest Mag platform, and the only semi I use. The detent, feedneck, cocker barrel, rail-less design, built in expansion chamber fore-grip option, and downright BEST ano's solved the shortcomings of the classic mag. This gun was way before its time.
    When viewed from a modern context, the "fixes" offered by a micromag are fairly minor, and in some cases come with some caveats.

The best thing about them is indeed the aesthetic anno jobs. They make excellent wall hangers.

The two cut frames on Ebay are mine.
    So PTP didn't solve the shortcoming of having the same frame capable of both single/dual finger triggers, even though they could have easily done so since they switched to cocker threads. And they knew very well that people were cutting up frames.

The VA on the Micromag solved a problem with classic mags, the foregrips tended to spin unless excessively cranked down. That often resulted in stripped screw heads.
    AGD later indirectly acknowledged this problem by releasing RT-Pro with the two-hole VAs.
    So... have you never owned a classic mag? Classic mag VA's have a groove/landing in them which mates up against the shape of the classic rail.

Unless there's something I'm missing in the history, AGD later cause the problem by ditching the dovetail pattern on the rails, and then unbroke the situation with the two-hole VA's.
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    When viewed from a modern context, the "fixes" offered by a micromag are fairly minor, and in some cases come with some caveats.
    The difference between a muzzleloader and a breechloader also seems minor in a modern context.
    The point is, many of these were significant features for a mag to have in the 90's, and the later AGD mags adopted them (cocker barrel, foregrip attachment, detent upgrade, aluminum body)

So PTP didn't solve the shortcoming of having the same frame capable of both single/dual finger triggers, even though they could have easily done so since they switched to cocker threads. And they knew very well that people were cutting up frames.
    Please name any company that did? There is no aftermarket trigger frame of that era (for any gun) that came with a removable trigger guard to swap b/n single and double. The only example of this that I can think of is the Intimidator, which came much later.

So... have you never owned a classic mag? Classic mag VA's have a groove/landing in them which mates up against the shape of the classic rail.
    Unless there's something I'm missing in the history, AGD later cause the problem by ditching the dovetail pattern on the rails, and then unbroke the situation with the two-hole VA's.
    Valid point, but the most popular fore-grips of the time made this problem obvious - the Smart-Grip and the Eclipse/Smart Parts foregrip that came with splash kits.

Ooo. A gun pron thread...

The point is, many of these were significant features for a mag to have in the 90's, and the later AGD mags adopted them (cocker barrel, foregrip attachment, detent upgrade, aluminum body)
    I thought the point was why these things seem to not be fetching as good prices *today*. I'm sure they were awesome in the early-to-mid 90's. Every one of my responses so far has been in a modern context.

Please name any company that did? There is no aftermarket trigger frame of that era (for any gun) that came with a removable trigger guard to swap b/n single and double. The only example of this that I can think of is the Intimidator, which came much later.
    I can't answer the "era" bit of this, but even Tippmann (and later BT) managed to do it. I mean, that is the bottom of the barrel right there. If ever the phrase, "Well, Tippmann managed to make it work" enters the conversation, you know you've hit bottom.

Valid point, but the most popular fore-grips of the time made this problem obvious - the Smart-Grip and the Eclipse/Smart Parts foregrip that came with splash kits.
    I never owned either of these "most popular fore-grips", but it seems PTP didn't actually solve the problem. At best, they reoriented the screw hole and simply broke compatibility with the malformed parts you mentioned.

That's kind of a fishy way to address a problem. Not unique to PTP, nor unique in the history of Automags, but still not an appropriate solution.

In this case, I don't think they were even trying to solve this "problem". I think the problem they were trying to solve was "how to attach a foregrip to a single-piece body without drilling a hole all the way through the top to allow for the cap screw to hold the existing style of foregrip." Thus they just broke compatibility with existing foregrips, malformed or not.

When the 2k9 rolled around, they offered multiple options for the foregrip attachment. I never got in on that deal, but wasn't one of those configurations "single vertical screw"?

deja vu

deja vu

We should start a Micromag Pic thread.

honestly, i think the thing that attracts me to micro's is the killer annodizing jobs. i especially like the lightning bolt one of MAGgots.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    honestly, i think the thing that attracts me to micro's is the killer annodizing jobs. i especially like the lightning bolt one of MAGgots.
    I agree, I think the tiger stripe camo anno pattern they did is still one of my favorites.

The only thing I really did/do not like about them is the vertical mount, it's funky and you have limited options because of it.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  45.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  48.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  48.7 KB

My baby

The VA on the Micromag solved a problem with classic mags, the foregrips tended to spin unless excessively cranked down. That often resulted in stripped screw heads.
    AGD later indirectly acknowledged this problem by releasing RT-Pro with the two-hole VAs.