Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lithium Ion battery for the E/X-Mag?

My suggestion would be for someone to hook up a variable power supply with a scope to see what the minimum voltage and actual current spike is when hooking up an E/X-mag directly to a power supply. Then, if you can play with the maximum current output and see what the minimum needed to fire the solenoid actually is, we can go from there to get the right battery pack.

I'm just happy that this thread didn't completely die. ANYTHING to help shave some ounces off the weight of an Emag, coupled with perhaps better battery life, will help.

Far from it.

If anyone wants to try the 4S before me here's what I'll probably pickup in the near future:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=20418

It should fit in the existing housing and have plenty of available amps...just a question of voltage. Also for some reason its actually slightly heavier than my proposed 5S option. I'll let folks know once i have it in hand...still won't be testing until I get the new board.
    faster is better...

That hobbyking pack is 30mm thick. The standard emag battery housing only holds a 20mm thick pack. If you split the pack into two sections, it still doesn't fit due to the length.

This one will work for you and will drop into the existing housing. It is only 450mAh, but that's still more than 6 cases of paint before it needs a recharge. If you need more capacity, get two and keep one in reserve in case you need it. http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/pro...V-4S-pack.aspx
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    I'm just happy that this thread didn't completely die. ANYTHING to help shave some ounces off the weight of an Emag, coupled with perhaps better battery life, will help.
    Don't you run with a warp+rotor as well?

In your case... wonder if you could consolidate all the batteries.

Also, forgot to mention -- do the E-mag electronics have any sort of low voltage cutoff? What is it, and can it be overridden?
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    Don't you run with a warp+rotor as well?
    Normally, yes. But I sold the Rotor and will be ditching the warpfeed as I go with a Halo warpless. Just need to finish cutting a custom bracket.

Also, I picked up a Qloader from Freedy, so when I can get a CMS again, I'll have that option for smaller games where I won't need more than 300 rounds at a time.

Both of those feed systems save a lot of weight. And ditching the warpfeed should allow me to set my gun down without it being all lopsided.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    That hobbyking pack is 30mm thick. The standard emag battery housing only holds a 20mm thick pack.
    I've checked this thread, but didn't see that anyone has posted the dimensions of the standard Emag battery pack. Anyone? I can grab my calipers and post the dimensions tonight if nobody posts this morning or afternoon. Just need to make sure that a new Lipo pack will drop into an existing Emag battery pack housing.

Wait, was that was those Q-loader elbows were for?

I haven't seen any specs posted so far. Data, guys. Data, data, data.

Wait, was that was those Q-loader elbows were for?
    Yeah, trying to see if I can get the ball stack coming out of a Halo Too to turn upward and into my warp breech without modding the hopper at all, making it completely reversible yet still extremely low-profile. I'm pretty sure it will work just fine - I just need to bracket it and connect everything.

I haven't seen any specs posted so far. Data, guys. Data, data, data.
    The data's around if you look for yourself but here it is all in one place....such as it is. This isn't rocket science, just a packaging issue. Possibly a fire hazard

In the end I'll probably make myself a new battery housing for the LiPo pack, seems like there are too many trade-offs trying to get something that matches the stock housing.

I got the packs in today. Again this is where it stalls for me until I get my new circuit board. That said here's option one for me.

I'll eventually charge these and do a few test cycles...check that they can handle high rof without catching fire...if we're good I'll try to source individual cells for a single pack. If that falls through I may look at buying more of these and dissecting until I can scavenge enough cells for a proper balanced pack.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xFast View Post
    The data's around if you look for yourself but here it is all in one place....such as it is. This isn't rocket science, just a packaging issue. Possibly a fire hazard

In the end I'll probably make myself a new battery housing for the LiPo pack, seems like there are too many trade-offs trying to get something that matches the stock housing.
    Good deal. Yes, it is convenient to have it all in one place. And if we're talking about it here, then this is that one place

It looks like you can fit a single 500 in there if I'm seeing that correctly. I would make like an e-mag adapter, which would be spring connectors on one side adapted to JST or whatever on the other. It looks like you'll have enough space to do so, if there's not too much excess wire. Dunno if those spring clips are readily available elsewhere or there's some other way to source them. Given the extra space you could get ... somewhat creative. Like mounting the spring clips and JST adapter onto a small PCB, and adding a few other goodies, like a low voltage/cell health alarm.

I wouldn't worry so much about pack semantics like balancing or whatever. Get into that later.

Last thing is to simply test if the voltage really is good enough. Make sure to have your Level 10 tuned...

I got the packs in today. Again this is where it stalls for me until I get my new circuit board. ...

...I'll eventually charge these and do a few test cycles...check that they can handle high rof without catching fire...if we're good I'll try to source individual cells for a single pack. If that falls through I may look at buying more of these and dissecting until I can scavenge enough cells for a proper balanced pack.
    These will handle the load quite well. Their specs indicate that they can handle 17.5A which is much more than the required 6A. The voltage for a 5S pack (3S + 2S) is more than adequate and will produce the required 6A.

To run them just connect in series. For charging, you'll have to connect each pack to a charger independently for proper balance charging, or make an adapter to convert both plugs to interface a single plug so that both packs can be balance charged together.

The packs are too long for the emag case. Make a piece that bolts onto the bottom of the emag pack to extend its length, and you can still use it.

I am playing around with this light battery idea too. I will leave the battery packs to someone else with the know how but i was thinking about 5 axis machining a new battery housing for the new pack.....make it look cool.
    If done right it could give the gun a new look.

Oops didn't notice you were shooting for 5s. Voltage should be plenty. Good luck with that.

Time to refresh this thread. I'm in the market for a new battery for some lowers I just bought. I always disliked how big the battery is on Emag lowers. So has anyone made any progress on a new battery option? I'm not an engineer, but I work with a few. My co-workers had a few ideas, but nothing that hasn't already been said.

So now my question is could we just get a company to custom make a new battery pack for us Emag owners? I found these 2 websites that might be helpful:

http://www.batterygiant.com/custom_p...lder/start.asp

http://www.houseofbatteries.com/cust...FeJF7AodLQYAuw

If we just gave either of these companies the specs of what we need couldn't they just make a new battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ermog View Post
    Time to refresh this thread. I'm in the market for a new battery for some lowers I just bought. I always disliked how big the battery is on Emag lowers. So has anyone made any progress on a new battery option? I'm not an engineer, but I work with a few. My co-workers had a few ideas, but nothing that hasn't already been said.

So now my question is could we just get a company to custom make a new battery pack for us Emag owners? I found these 2 websites that might be helpful:

http://www.batterygiant.com/custom_p...lder/start.asp

http://www.houseofbatteries.com/cust...FeJF7AodLQYAuw

If we just gave either of these companies the specs of what we need couldn't they just make a new battery?
    ive been doing some searching of lipo batteries out there with like 1000 mah, which is more then we need.
    and the back are sizably bigger then the current battery housing,

so I have been looking for new options on sizes but none that can be custom made yet.
    im actually going out tomorrow to a guy to see if he can help.

There is a custom battery shop near me.I will take my emag there and let them see what can be done as far as a new battery and charger set up.they are able to do custom packs to whatever voltage required. I'll try to go this weekend if I can.

so im a little fuzzy.
    will the lipo 4S(4 cell) battery with a high C rating work in a emag ?(Atomas I think this is you knowledge base)

if so I may have what we need. or can at least get ahold of it.

what is the minimum Mah (milliamp hours) that is desired?

hit me up asap on this so I can let people know what I can get my hands on, without having my guys come up with a custom pack, that no one will be able to buy reasonably.

Well things came up so i didnt make it to the battery shop Saturday but i did call them and they seemed like they could do something. Ill try to get by there this Saturday i hope.

Does anyone have the specs needed for an Emag battery? I have been looking and either I'm blind or they are harder to find then I imagined. Also would any of these new batteries work:

http://shop.valken.com/c/energy

no none of them would work unless you some how make a reusable encasement for the AAA battery cells.
    I tried printing a skin to encase the AAA batteries and have the proper connections inserted in the right places. but the first attempt I got a power outage on my outlet, and the printer stoped printing no power no print.
    and I jump back onto the trimag project.

hey sk8ermog and KNM did you guys get a chance to read this post? has the specs your looking for and even the battery packs that will work.

I know, i know, bringing back the dead. I was just wondering has anyone one of you geniuses come up with an alternative option?

I'm gonna bring this zombie back up to ask if anyone has the gumption to go where my battery knowledge fails, and point to something that wasn't available way back in 2013/2014, being a new, lightweight battery that's drop-in-capable to replace the bulky, heavy Emag NiMH battery packs.

I sure hope so... my warpless rotor is getting closer to completion and this would be the last thing I could do to lighten up my E-Tac. Everything else is pretty milled out.

It's on the list I have I know that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Umm... been awhile since I posted on a forum with all the tech changes going mobile....

There's no "like" button here, but I like what you have to say. Thanks man, lol

There are lots of small and inexpensive battery packs available now. Just get a 5S pack that will fit inside the emag battery holder. Better yet, have a lighter milled design that will bolt onto the existing battery top, and fit the new LiPo pack sizes. Any LiPo battery charger will charge the pack and they are inexpensive as well.

I think my primary problem is finding a 5S pack that's thin enough to fit in the emag battery well.

Very true.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk