Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: AO Needs a NEW LOOK, any Volunteers?

AO Needs a NEW LOOK, any Volunteers?

All,

I am looking for someone to re-skin the new AO. If you agree to help, I need you to follow through and make it special.

Thanks,

TK

Lightbulb

Calling dayspring.........................................

I would be more than happy to do the graphics for the site, I just don't know the code to write the skinning aspect. But graphics...I got that all day long. Example...

Name:  AGD_Lions_Final2.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  170.4 KB

dre

I'm sure Bunny would spend hours on this project as well.
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    Calling dayspring.........................................
    I'm good with the software. Not all that great as a graphic designer.

I have photoshop experience and almost no we design, but I do have an idea for the header someone can run with or people can get me the resources for.

It will feature every valve AGD had made in chronological order (just the back 1 1/2 inches where the name is) placed either vertically or slanted about 15-20* from the original classic all the way to the X. Then an AGD lion logo in the middle, slightly above center, Automags.org in the top left. under everything on the bottom it will say "Making quality Mags shoot straight since 1987"

I would love to help, but I think that these guys can do a much better job than I could. Even still, I will offer my services wherever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    I would love to help, but I think that these guys can do a much better job than I could. Even still, I will offer my services wherever I can.
    Wipe that brown stuff off of your nose...
    Email me for low prices on ALL AGD Products and more. tunaman5@verizon.net
    Tunamart

Quote Originally Posted by Tunaman View Post
    Wipe that brown stuff off of your nose...
    HA I learned from the best.

I would love to work on getting AO set-up with a really great template. It been bothering me seeing all the comparision to customcockers.com....

Themes: My idea would be to use an existing template and customize it to our liking. I don't think we really need to invent the wheel. Custom coding everything would be a PITA Color changing the templates wouldn't be difficult to do. I do think we should give users the option to have both a "Light" and "Dark" theme. We really need to get rid of the all white template we have going...

Header: I think we should keep the AO header pretty original. We could change the logo if need be, but I think it suits AO quite well. I really liked the header from the old site with action pictures of our members.

• MotM contest winners showcase. We could immortalize the MoTM winner by having their marker on the site for an entire month. Both "new school" and "old school" included...
    • Action Pictures. We could have action pictures of our members as well. Maybe at Tunaball we could have someone capture a bunch of AOers in action poses and put them on the site.

Articles: I'm not sure if blogging would catch on here, but I think articles would be a great addition to the site. Think of the prototype lab, but alot more user friendly. If you have been following me lately, I've been trying to compile tons of data for Automags.org and realized so much information gets lost unless it is stickied. If we organized the information in a different way, I think it would help us out in the long run. (Think of combining automagsuk.org, xmagworld, sflemag.com, etc into AO. We could also make the tech forum a bit more user friendly. Maybe we could get a few tech guys to remake how to videos and embed them into posts.

Consolidation: Archive and remove inactive forums... Shoebox, Rules, etc. Reworking them into articles or ads.

Feedback: I would love to see a feedback rating similar to pbnation. I think AO lives off the fact that the B/S/T forum is here. If it wasn't here I doubt this place would still exist. Thousands of dollars are bought and sold here on a daily basis. We might want to protect our users with a good feedback tool.

Groups: I think we should rework groups. I think we should make custom badges/ranks to show members whos who. There are many members here that deserve to be recognized properly. Luke and Tunaman come to mind, as well as other members that have gone above and beyond to improve the site. We need to promote post activity and I think ranks would help out.

Let me know what you guys think.

My idea would be to get a copy of the Vbulletin 4.2. Set it up like a local forum on my own computer and test out a few templates. Once I'm done I would provide screenshots to Tom or AO for approval. I can send over the template once it's approved and have Tom or whoever to install it on the site. I don't need keys to the kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    My idea would be to get a copy of the Vbulletin 4.2. Set it up like a local forum on my own computer and test out a few templates. Once I'm done I would provide screenshots to Tom or AO for approval. I can send over the template once it's approved and have Tom or whoever to install it on the site. I don't need keys to the kingdom.
    I can set up a test forum using my software and give you access to this stuff if you'd like. I just need to do it when I get home this weekend.

I will offer my programing or graphical services where ever its needed. My server is at your disposal as well, but dayspring just offered his as well.

Ok lets get Bunny and Dayspring working on this. If you guys could proto this on Daysprings server that would make it a lot easier for me since my ISP would not need to get involved. We all can eyeball the finished work and then port it over to this side easily. I would be good if this was a team effort so if you guys could put out requests for logos or specific graphics and let others contribute that would be great too.

If we need to make other internal changes to the forum like tapatalk then someone should make me a comprehensive list I can give to my computer guys.

Thanks!

TK

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Ok lets get Bunny and Dayspring working on this. If you guys could proto this on Daysprings server that would make it a lot easier for me since my ISP would not need to get involved. We all can eyeball the finished work and then port it over to this side easily. I would be good if this was a team effort so if you guys could put out requests for logos or specific graphics and let others contribute that would be great too.

If we need to make other internal changes to the forum like tapatalk then someone should make me a comprehensive list I can give to my computer guys.

Thanks!

TK
    Tom - your install of VBulletin should already come with ForumRunner (an alternative to Tapatalk). It should already be installed, all you need to do is set up the account with ForumRunner.

Quote Originally Posted by dre1919 View Post
    I would be more than happy to do the graphics for the site, I just don't know the code to write the skinning aspect. But graphics...I got that all day long. Example...

Name:  AGD_Lions_Final2.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  170.4 KB

dre
    TK. Dre my GA has the files for the new AGD he designed for the T-Shirt project I did. Please use them if you need them. Also he has the front left chest logo in color and the infamous stache logo.

There should different templates already setup on the forums no
    Last edited by Ando; 01-02-2013 at 01:05 PM.

The only one that really comes with the new VBulletin setup is the one we are using. After that, they leave it to you to customize it yourself or use one that somebody else did.

I remember them coming with 2 or 3 different ones...hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post

Thanks!

TK
    Sounds good. Dayspring, could we set-up an entire "dummy" forum on your server. With usernames, etc. That way we can set-up a forum for testing of the template and to create a forum for communication with the graphic designers? Off the top of my head I can think of alot of graphics that will need to be edited....

Header with AO logo
    Header with Hexis's behind the action picture (kinda like the old AO)
    Transluscent Action pictures
    Background for site

Badges/Ranks: Something like this...

Home Page Buttons: Like these... Change to AOish style.

Yes - I can do that. But I'm remote to all of my home software & FTP stuff right now. Won't get back until at least 11pm on Friday night. So figure Saturday mid-day for software setup.

Sounds good. Dayspring, could we set-up an entire "dummy" forum on your server. With usernames, etc. That way we can set-up a forum for testing of the template and to create a forum for communication with the graphic designers? Off the top of my head I can think of alot of graphics that will need to be edited....

Header with AO logo
    Header with Hexis's behind the action picture (kinda like the old AO)
    Transluscent Action pictures
    Background for site

Badges/Ranks: Something like this...

Home Page Buttons: Like these... Change to AOish style.

Dont forget my "benevolent dictator" button please

Dayspring: I think thats fine, that will give people time to see this thread and come up with their design concepts and ideas. Once we get it set-up we will go full force on the design.

BigEvil: I wouldn't mind seeing a BEO badge of some type...

Btw, if we have to have both a "light" and "dark" templates, we will need to work on double the amount of buttons and backgrounds. So I think there will be enough work to go around...

If group participation is encouraged, then a color template(s) should be established first to make sure everyone is working with the same hex colors. That way all the graphics look like they're supposed to go together.

I like where this thread is going

Unhappy

Feedback: I would love to see a feedback rating similar to pbnation. I think AO lives off the fact that the B/S/T forum is here. If it wasn't here I doubt this place would still exist. Thousands of dollars are bought and sold here on a daily basis. We might want to protect our users with a good feedback tool.
    We already look like CC, thats bad enough.
    Do we really need to be like pnut butter nation too ?

Aww, I don't think an eBay-style feedback system will turn us into PbN. What's really the downside? A lot of forums offer that kind of system and it's actually quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    Aww, I don't think an eBay-style feedback system will turn us into PbN. What's really the downside? A lot of forums offer that kind of system and it's actually quite nice.
    will old feedback transfer?
    that pretty key for most on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    We already look like CC, thats bad enough.
    Do we really need to be like pnut butter nation too ?

Lol, give us a few weeks and hopefully we can change your mind. It was just an idea, if no one else agrees I doubt anything will come out of it. I really want to show what AO could become with a handful of small changes. I do think our feedback system is lacking. It doesn't make sense to crawl through pages worth of feedback, or search a username for feedback just to see if someone is legit. I do understand we have many lurking members that may have to rely on old feedback and I wouldn't want to get rid of that by any means.

We have an opportunity to change AO for the better. Why not at least try.

I'm all for change, as long as we keep and archive the old when we replace it with the new.

I really like the idea of bringing feedback up to date. I know at first it will suck for some people who have huge feedback threads. But, in the long run, it will be better (more convenient) for everyone. There's no reason you would not be able to keep your old feedback threads for reference. If you're truly a good/bad buyer/seller. They will quickly be reflected in the new system as well.

Our feedback system is not what defines us as AO. It's our brand loyalty, our love of the sport, and our respect for other players that define the AO community.