Thread: Loctite 545 Thread Sealant - not setting up.

Loctite 545 Thread Sealant - not setting up.

So I applied the 545 on Friday, and was gone all weekend, so I wouldn't be tempted to try and gas it up early again this time. I had the same issues, where it did not cure and made little purple bubbles.

I am using a CP on/off ASA and CCM macro fittings. I Also had it leaking out the CCM fitting in the X-Valve. Any tips, tricks, advise would be great, since I've left it sit well over 24 hours - from Friday afternoon to Monday morning.

Lemme know guys. Thanks in advance.

edit: I had tried it once before and left it for 12 hours, or so as mentioned. But then diligently cleaned every speck of purple out of all the threads, and used rubbing alcohol to clean the last of the parts.
    Last edited by XtraKargo; 09-16-2013 at 03:50 PM.

It sounds like the gaps are too large for the sealant. 545 is thread sealant for high pressures, but it isn't designed to fill large gaps. It remains soft and flexible but is thick enough to keep air or other gases from seeping out past surface imperfections between tight fitting threads. When in contact with air, it gels.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    It sounds like the gaps are too large for the sealant. 545 is thread sealant for high pressures, but it isn't designed to fill large gaps. It remains soft and flexible but is thick enough to keep air or other gases from seeping out past surface imperfections between tight fitting threads. When in contact with air, it gels.
    Any recommendations, cause this sounds exactly right. I've been using Teflon tape for years now. And real cautious about it being on the threads only and not in the air ways.

Make sure the threads are in good shape. Make sure the threaded connection is tight so that the threads of each piece make solid contact with each other. They are pipe threads, so they should get tighter as the fitting goes farther into threads. If you have fittings that are not pipe threads, then they may not go deep enough and only provide a tight seal if they bottom out.

I use white plumbers sealant on my fittings now. Sets up instantly... and it doesnt get into everything.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    Make sure the threads are in good shape. Make sure the threaded connection is tight so that the threads of each piece make solid contact with each other. They are pipe threads, so they should get tighter as the fitting goes farther into threads. If you have fittings that are not pipe threads, then they may not go deep enough and only provide a tight seal if they bottom out.
    The CCM fittings threads in deeper than it needs to, otherwise the housing won't fit right and seal. I thought the 545 would not only set up and seal, but hold it in place. I can practically thread it all the way in by hand, and it where I need it to sit, it was still loose.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
    I use white plumbers sealant on my fittings now. Sets up instantly... and it doesnt get into everything.
    Plus that sounds like something you could get at Loews or Home Depot. May keep an eye out for it.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by XtraKargo View Post
    The CCM fittings threads in deeper than it needs to, otherwise the housing won't fit right and seal. I thought the 545 would not only set up and seal, but hold it in place. I can practically thread it all the way in by hand, and it where I need it to sit, it was still loose.
    This is why the 545 doesn't work for you. You need something to fill the gaps that has physical strength such as an epoxy.

Be careful using plumbers pipe sealant. Some are better than others. Most of these also rely on a tight joint but have a lower pressure rating. They aren't designed as a thread locker.

If you aren't tightening your joint, you need a weld type glue/epoxy, not a thread sealer. The problem with that, is that they are not designed to come apart without a lot of heat and/or torque to break the bond.

It may not be absolutely proper, but I use loctite Blue 242 on my CCM fitting in my X-valve, and have had no problems whatsoever. I use that X-valve in a Tac body, so it cannot be screwed in to bottom out, otherwise the fitting will rub on the body itself. So Blue 242 might do the job for you like it has for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    It may not be absolutely proper, but I use loctite Blue 242 on my CCM fitting in my X-valve, and have had no problems whatsoever. I use that X-valve in a Tac body, so it cannot be screwed in to bottom out, otherwise the fitting will rub on the body itself. So Blue 242 might do the job for you like it has for me.
    I think that's the stuff you're supposed to use, at least according to their video.

Very informative. I will be giving this another go then. I know I have some blue 242 around.

Thanks guys.

FYI, the description that Loctite uses for Blue 242 now says "sealing" as well as "locking". I'm not sure if that was always the case. But it's pretty much what I use all the time, and I haven't had any problems with it. Just don't use red (the kind that requires heat to remove).