Thread: Mags are "cool" again. (Store visit story)

Cool Mags are "cool" again. (Store visit story)

having just finished slapping a new set of O-Rings on my Classic RT, I went down to the local(ish) store to get my tank filled so I could gas her up and check for leaks. I also just added Lukes mini vert frame so I had to dramatically shorten the bottom macro-line. I was surprised to find the place semi-busy.

I got the tank filled and bought some oil. I asked if they would mind if I gassed it up and cycled it a few times and they obliged. When I returned from the car with the RT one of the guys got all exited and started talking about how awesome these things were and how you hardly see them anywhere. I gassed it up, now with an audience and it starts hissing air out of the bottom macro. The guy volunteers to take it in the back and redo the macroline for free.

After a few minutes he comes out. We gas it up again and I and each of the store guys take turns ripping on the trigger. It doesn't quite RT (none of my RT's ever really have) but with a little practice (pull and relax vs. pull and release) you can easily compete with electro RoF. The guy who did the macroline for me said he trolls here on AO so if you are reading this, thanks man.

I was away from the sport for a good five years after my first daughter was born. Before coming back everything was "Mags are blenders", "Mags are heavy", "Mags are ugly", "Mags are hogs". Since I've been back my Mags seem to get respected, even treated with reverence. It's nice to see. On the other hand I feel sorry for AGD that bad marketing and bad market timing prevented them from getting the recognition they deserved, when they deserved it most. My 15+ y/o marker can hang with all the "latest and greatest".

Props to AGD for an enduring product. Here's hoping (against all odds) that a still more glorious dawn awaits.

Nice experience!

When I went down to my local field to tune my pneu kit and valve for the first time I had my gun in a Psychoballistics Autococker case. They all kinda looked at me like "whatever hes here to tune his crappy cocker"... but one of them asked to see it (a cocker, lol) so I just handed him the case and let him open it up to my fully polished out pneumag... Needless to say, I didnt get to tune my gun for about a half hour while all (what seemed like 100) of the employees fondled it. But I didnt mind cuz I have never had to pay for air fills since I took it in

While I was tuning it I had some renters/newbs with low end markers come up and ask if I was a pro player... I just chuckled and said "No, Im just here to tune my 14 year old gun" and they looked at me like I was joking hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by pgop2.0 View Post
    having just finished slapping a new set of O-Rings on my Classic RT, I went down to the local(ish) store to get my tank filled so I could gas her up and check for leaks. I also just added Lukes mini vert frame so I had to dramatically shorten the bottom macro-line. I was surprised to find the place semi-busy.

I got the tank filled and bought some oil. I asked if they would mind if I gassed it up and cycled it a few times and they obliged. When I returned from the car with the RT one of the guys got all exited and started talking about how awesome these things were and how you hardly see them anywhere. I gassed it up, now with an audience and it starts hissing air out of the bottom macro. The guy volunteers to take it in the back and redo the macroline for free.

After a few minutes he comes out. We gas it up again and I and each of the store guys take turns ripping on the trigger. It doesn't quite RT (none of my RT's ever really have) but with a little practice (pull and relax vs. pull and release) you can easily compete with electro RoF. The guy who did the macroline for me said he trolls here on AO so if you are reading this, thanks man.

I was away from the sport for a good five years after my first daughter was born. Before coming back everything was "Mags are blenders", "Mags are heavy", "Mags are ugly", "Mags are hogs". Since I've been back my Mags seem to get respected, even treated with reverence. It's nice to see. On the other hand I feel sorry for AGD that bad marketing and bad market timing prevented them from getting the recognition they deserved, when they deserved it most. My 15+ y/o marker can hang with all the "latest and greatest".

Props to AGD for an enduring product. Here's hoping (against all odds) that a still more glorious dawn awaits.
    What shop is it your going to? Im reasonably local and always like checking out different shops. Ussually go to PaintballWizard oin Tewksbury Ma
    Quote Originally Posted by dano_____ View Post
    I keep forgetting to not feed my mags after midnight so they seem to multiply regularly.

"Mags are blenders"
    blasphamy! I've never had a mag chop.
    People usually just confuse my ripper with other stuff..

Only time I've ever chopped paint was when I would fat finger the trigger. Or over shoot my hopper. The gun can't help if the user is inept.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar20th View Post
    What shop is it your going to? Im reasonably local and always like checking out different shops. Ussually go to PaintballWizard oin Tewksbury Ma
    That is my favorite store by far and is the one I usually refer to as my local store. In this case I was out by the big WOO. I think it was an X-Fire. I haven't been huge fans of theirs in the past (particularly when I lived in Nashua) but these guys were very cool.

I love my mag. First for the sheer awesomeness of it. Second for the fact that no one knows what it is and the ones that do I get respect from.

Can't wait to get my mag tuned in and show up at the field with the new setup

That is my favorite store by far and is the one I usually refer to as my local store. In this case I was out by the big WOO. I think it was an X-Fire. I haven't been huge fans of theirs in the past (particularly when I lived in Nashua) but these guys were very cool.
    Check out All-Stars proshop. It's not at the field but down the street, apparently a bunch of former X-Fire employees?

Also out by Woostah.

Kinda close to me as well. If you guys interested going up to osg on the 28th for the byop game. We should get a AO meet and greet going

Quote Originally Posted by Syko89 View Post
    Kinda close to me as well. If you guys interested going up to osg on the 28th for the byop game. We should get a AO meet and greet going
    Every year we do Reaperball in Sept or Oct, Its basically a BEO game at this point. It started as a AO game but with little interest at the time. This will be year 5 I believe. Damn now I gotta check my count again.

I refuse to go to OSG on a BYOP day. To much cheating and bad attitudes. Along with putting way to many players on a field.
    Last edited by cougar20th; 04-11-2013 at 06:36 AM.

i usually get props when people see my chromey pneumag (july 2011 motm). first, people are impressed when they see the mag. then, theyre surprised when they see/try the trigger pull on the gforce frame.

Every year we do Reaperball in Sept or Oct, Its basically a BEO game at this point. It started as a AO game but with little interest at the time. This will be year 5 I believe. Damn now I gotta check my count again.

I refuse to go to OSG on a BYOP day. To much cheating and bad attitudes. Along with putting way to many players on a field.
    I had a lot of fun at the pump day at OSG last year with you guys and will definately go again this year.

I went to the BYOP day at OSG 2 weeks ago and had a great time. I actually think that OSG has the least amount of cheating and bad attitudes in the area. There are usually enough refs on the field and doing their job to keep it at a minimum. The fields can get a little crowded at times, but I like how they do multiple games at a time. It lets you jump into a new game if you got out of the game you were in on the break.

Quote Originally Posted by lancecst View Post
    I had a lot of fun at the pump day at OSG last year with you guys and will definately go again this year.

I went to the BYOP day at OSG 2 weeks ago and had a great time. I actually think that OSG has the least amount of cheating and bad attitudes in the area. There are usually enough refs on the field and doing their job to keep it at a minimum. The fields can get a little crowded at times, but I like how they do multiple games at a time. It lets you jump into a new game if you got out of the game you were in on the break.
    Just had to look up OSG on Google Maps. Exactly 1/2 way between the only two major highways in the state eh? Not to far from Laconia though, my cousin is the town manager up there so it might make for a good excuse to visit.

And while we are turning this into an AONE meet and greet thread... I mostly play at Friendly Fire in Upton MA lately. They have 1/2 price paint days about 1 Sunday a month this year. I'm planning to make it to all of them. Good fields too (accept Big T's last stand which is useless IMO). It would be sweet to have an AO contingent since I've never seen another Mag in use there.

Nice man give me a heads up when they do I'll try and meet up with you. Back on topic last fill I got some kid 18-19yo asked if my warpless micro with the wwa tip was a old pistol

Wah...mags are heavy...

Hit the gym a little.
    The first mag I shot, PBJosh's back in AK, I'd destroy paint in it but then I learned to shoot....now I own 4.

Wink

I got asked several times yesterday what kind of gun my chord mag was.
    I did okay with the mechanical mag until the kids with dm13's came out.
    I was outgunned for a few games .
    Still had plenty of fun.

Name:  43660984.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  62.8 KB
    "Accuracy by aiming."

Definitely not on the A-Team.

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    I got asked several times yesterday what kind of gun my chord mag was.
    I did okay with the mechanical mag until the kids with dm13's came out.
    I was outgunned for a few games .
    Still had plenty of fun.

I've never felt outgunned with my 97 classic RT. Out hosed yes.

I keep having to change things cause local fields dont like my mag... it shoots too fast

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    I keep having to change things cause local fields dont like my mag... it shoots too fast
    I'm guessing you use a higher input pressure than me. I used a shreader for years. Then a revolution. Only got a halo because the price was right. I doubt I ever shoot 10 a second.

But with hosed I mean the punk kids that just flick there finger and pray they are gonna hit something.

Post a pic of that RT Classic! I'd like it see it with the vert frame.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    I'm guessing you use a higher input pressure than me. I used a shreader for years. Then a revolution. Only got a halo because the price was right. I doubt I ever shoot 10 a second.

But with hosed I mean the punk kids that just flick there finger and pray they are gonna hit something.
    I dont like shooting fast, lol. I just like the option

I personally haven’t felt “outgunned” in probably more than a decade. And the majority of the time, I’m running around with a spring feed, pistol, one of those 50rd hoppers (before they were popular), or at most a Q-loader.

Back in the early days, I started analyzing my own game performance and tried to compensate with more paint, which really only netted me more wasted paint and didn’t change outcomes.

On the other hand, I noticed that in games where I was successful, I used very little paint.

My conclusion was that success had very little to do with the gun. It’s far easier to say you were outgunned than admit that you were outplayed.

So I tend to reserve “outgunned” for things like being “outnumbered” (doesn’t matter how fast your gun shoots since you can only shoot in one direction at a time), or when your gun literally breaks. Sometimes certain bunkers will encourage volume to pound through them (like foliage or bunkers with holes in them)... but otherwise, this rule seems to hold.

Don’t be afraid of the hosers, and don’t play their game...

Quote Originally Posted by hobbesTZ View Post
    Post a pic of that RT Classic! I'd like it see it with the vert frame.
    Pics here: https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...-in-the-Pneu-d

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy
    On the other hand, I noticed that in games where I was successful, I used very little paint.
    Can't tell you how many times I've forgotten and had to re-learn that lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatBoy View Post
    I noticed that in games where I was successful, I used very little paint.
    I've seen this too. sometimes I'll go through a whole game and take out at least 4 players with a half hopper. then again other times you find yourself in an epic 1 on 1 and you suddenly see 4 pods at your feet

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    I dont like shooting fast, lol. I just like the option
    Yep.

Yeah. Mags are pretty cool.