Thread: Need help ID'ing

Need help ID'ing

Picked up some stuff on Fleabay and couple of items I'm not sure about:

Backend has milling and an 8 hole mod. Value?

Both have fluted milling on the back areas. Black one has milling dots on the front, but very few little actual venting. What is there is spiral. Gray one has same style of Fluted milling on the tip. 2-3" of spiral venting.

Any clues?

The reg back I would default at $20 if complete, and then add some for the custom milling. Luke does something like that as a service that costs $65. But you have to find a buyer that wants it. That's just my thought on the situation.

The barrels I don't know. They can vary wildly depending on what they are and how many people know what they are and will report that they're the best/rarest barrels made for Automags. What I'm saying is that, IMO, the value will fluctuate primarily based upon hype.

I get that, but the valve back looks like some sort of aftermarket. Just wondering if this was the case or if someone sent it out and had it milled. Not really very poished and can't see any lazering left, so thinking this was aftermarket. The trashcan milling kinda reminds me of the PTP VASA's.

I rarely consider barrels anything special and always value them pretty low, but was just wondering if anyone could ID them for proper listing purposes.

That could also be custom milled smartmag valve back.

I also saw a PMI valve back with similar 8 hole mod. Front is not a smart valve.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    I get that, but the valve back looks like some sort of aftermarket. Just wondering if this was the case or if someone sent it out and had it milled. Not really very poished and can't see any lazering left, so thinking this was aftermarket. The trashcan milling kinda reminds me of the PTP VASA's.
    It does look like it's meant to match the PTP VASA trashcan milling. I guess it could be aftermarket. It's got the 8-hole mod done as well.

I rarely consider barrels anything special and always value them pretty low, but was just wondering if anyone could ID them for proper listing purposes.
    True. I wish I could help with the actual identification. The finish of the gray one looks pretty cool. There's a few barrels out there with that kind of finish (old J&J's), but not a lot. I've got an old twistlock barrel with lasering that simply says "Pro Gear" with a little curvy-triangle logo that's actually a very lightweight and extremely quiet barrel. It's not got any hype to the name, though, so I'm sure it's not worth very much. But I still keep it, and I'd grab it in a heartbeat to throw on a Classic 'Mag. It's worth more to me than what I'd get for it by selling, simply because I know about it's good performance. You may have such a case with either of those barrels too. If you still have anything with a twistlock body, give 'em a rip and check 'em out.

Front is not a smart valve.
    Do you mean the one belonging to your mystery back or the one in the picture I posted?

Looks like stuff for an Automag....

its FRIDAY!!!! BLLAAHHHAAA

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    Do you mean the one belonging to your mystery back or the one in the picture I posted?
    One that came with the valve. Either way, being part of a Smart valve isnt a pro for me. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    It does look like it's meant to match the PTP VASA trashcan milling. I guess it could be aftermarket. It's got the 8-hole mod done as well.

True. I wish I could help with the actual identification. The finish of the gray one looks pretty cool. There's a few barrels out there with that kind of finish (old J&J's), but not a lot. I've got an old twistlock barrel with lasering that simply says "Pro Gear" with a little curvy-triangle logo that's actually a very lightweight and extremely quiet barrel. It's not got any hype to the name, though, so I'm sure it's not worth very much. But I still keep it, and I'd grab it in a heartbeat to throw on a Classic 'Mag. It's worth more to me than what I'd get for it by selling, simply because I know about it's good performance. You may have such a case with either of those barrels too. If you still have anything with a twistlock body, give 'em a rip and check 'em out.
    I have a TL Freak back and a J&J, no real need for anything else IMO. That and I bought them to sell.

I have a TL Freak back and a J&J, no real need for anything else IMO. That and I bought them to sell.
    I don't even own anything with a twistlock anymore, but I still have that barrel and a 14" Dye Stainless that I hold on to for some reason. ... I really can't justify keeping the Dye Stainless, since it should fetch a fair price, but I still do for some reason. I guess I have a lot of things tucked away for a "someday" situation though.