Thread: Freak / Apex2 Barrel Question

Question Freak / Apex2 Barrel Question

I was looking at a Deadlywind 8" Fibur at one point.

With a DW Apex tip adapter, and CF Apex2 sleeve .

I didnt buy the setup because I was unsure, or lets say I started wondering what I would gain by using Freak inserts

sized to the paint, more that I already have.

So AO barrel experts thats my question....I have .687 and .690 Lapco barrels with Apex2 tips.

Am I going to gain much, if anything, by sizing inserts to paint in combination with an Apex2 tip ?

I could buy a lot of paint with the almost $200 (with shipping) I would be spending on the Deadlywind setup.

Thanks

sizing the paint to a barrel will give you better accuracy and efficiency...

saying that, how accurate can a barrel be when youre bouncing your balls off a spring loaded piece a rubber

my Apex is ALL over the place, if you shoot slowly and aim very carefully you can get a tight group but when you start shooting anything over 2-3bps your balls start going squirly

The bore-to-paint relationship affects consistency of velocity and air usage efficiency. It really doesn't have an effect on accuracy except for the results of a more consistent velocity - paintballs start to drop off at the same range. The single largest factor on shot accuracy is the quality of the paint that is used (seams, dimples, roundness, consistency of size).

When you put an Apex tip on a barrel and turn it on, the rubber ramp induces backspin, giving you the ability to shoot the paint on a flatter trajectory, but with no further effective range, which is really useful in certain situations but not so much in most others. The excess backspin also amplifies the imperfections in the paint, making Apex shots seem erratic from an accuracy point of view.

Using Freak inserts can help you achieve more consistency of velocity and possibly better air efficiency at a slight underbore rate, even when using the Apex tip. (Though the backspin of the Apex tip pretty much wipes out any appreciable increase in accuracy as a result of the velocity consistency.) But how that ultimately changes your downrange picture is really just going to be determined by the quality of paint you shoot.

Justus has summed it up with as good an explanation as I've seen.

The short effective length of a freak insert will only be moderately effective in your case. You will be going from a small bore at the start of the barrel to a larger bore for the majority of the barrel and then back to a rubber bumper to affect the spin. You are probably better served by the single full length bore size of the lapco barrels when using an apex attachment.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by athomas View Post
    Justus has summed it up with as good an explanation as I've seen.

The short effective length of a freak insert will only be moderately effective in your case. You will be going from a small bore at the start of the barrel to a larger bore for the majority of the barrel and then back to a rubber bumper to affect the spin. You are probably better served by the single full length bore size of the lapco barrels when using an apex attachment.
    Thats kind of what I figured so I never pulled the trigger and bought the DW setup.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    When you put an Apex tip on a barrel and turn it on, the rubber ramp induces backspin, giving you the ability to shoot the paint on a flatter trajectory, but with no further effective range, which is really useful in certain situations but not so much in most others. The excess backspin also amplifies the imperfections in the paint, making Apex shots seem erratic from an accuracy point of view.
    I do however have to disagree with the statement in bold.
    I've been using an Apex for way to long for you to tell me It doesnt give you any more range.
    Its not as accurate at any distance, but keeping opposing players from moving up because they are to far away to hit you is way fun

Quote Originally Posted by going_home View Post
    I do however have to disagree with the statement in bold.
    I've been using an Apex for way to long for you to tell me It doesnt give you any more range.
    Its not as accurate at any distance, but keeping opposing players from moving up because they are to far away to hit you is way fun
    Its the effective range that is key. He was referring to the effective range with the ability for the ball to break of a marker fitted with an apex compared to a standard barrel. If I shoot a normal barrel and elevate it at some degree to achieve its maximum distance so that a ball will break on an opponent, it will be the same distance as if I shot a ball from an apex, although an apex will probably be a flatter trajectory. In some instances, the apex spin may reduce the forward energy that the ball has and reduce the overall effective distance that will allow a clean break of a ball on a target. Yes, the ball may go farther, but it won't contain enough energy at the increased distance to break on the target.

Its the effective range that is key. ... Yes, the ball may go farther, but it won't contain enough energy at the increased distance to break on the target.
    ^^ Bingo.

I've had an Apex2 for awhile myself. Unless the overhead canopy of a field would make the use of the tip advantageous (i.e. you need a flat shot to shoot at any distance), I don't use it. I've noticed firsthand the effective range being decreased when using an Apex. At maximum range, the shots land softer because of the lift given to the paintball.

Exclamation

Its the effective range that is key. He was referring to the effective range with the ability for the ball to break of a marker fitted with an apex compared to a standard barrel. If I shoot a normal barrel and elevate it at some degree to achieve its maximum distance so that a ball will break on an opponent, it will be the same distance as if I shot a ball from an apex, although an apex will probably be a flatter trajectory. In some instances, the apex spin may reduce the forward energy that the ball has and reduce the overall effective distance that will allow a clean break of a ball on a target. Yes, the ball may go farther, but it won't contain enough energy at the increased distance to break on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    ^^ Bingo.
    I've had an Apex2 for awhile myself. Unless the overhead canopy of a field would make the use of the tip advantageous (i.e. you need a flat shot to shoot at any distance), I don't use it. I've noticed firsthand the effective range being decreased when using an Apex. At maximum range, the shots land softer because of the lift given to the paintball.

Then you guys are flat out using the wrong paint.
    I'm getting breaks at much greater distances than a normal barrel, even elevated. can shoot.
    Or it could be your climate too, making the paint less brittle.
    Either way, I stand by what I said.
    If you use crappy paint, that wont pass a drop test, you will get the results you described.
    Use decent paint and the results are amazing.
    I am a witness that its true.