Thread: What can I do with this high hat centerfeed body?

What can I do with this high hat centerfeed body?

I got one of those old centerfeed mag bodies that had the non-removable super tall feedneck. I think they were called high hats back in the day.

Anyways, thing is worthless the way it is. What the heck can I do? Can I get it threaded for cocker feednecks or something?

what you can do is NOT CUT IT AND SELL IT.

theyre worth about 75$ in uncut form and drop from there as theyre modified.

so sell it and then but a ULE for 25-50$ more (depending on condition and what you get for the body)

Cut it

You can cut the feedneck down and put an ego or 7/8 clamping feedneck on it. That's about it. What body style is it? Some of these are very uncommon and it would be a shame to see the feedneck cut off it. Post up a picture please.

stop it big evil

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    stop it big evil
    lol

Why the heck are they worth so much?

www.imgur.com/2oGS6ak

That's my kitty!

www.imgur.com/SZNhEnG

Did somebody say "hand model?"

www.imgur.com/tjQTgHZ

www.imgur.com/RzrMKZr

Honestly, there are more scratches than the camera can pick up.

They're rare and a lot of people cut them.

Quote Originally Posted by BTAutoMag View Post
    what you can do is NOT CUT IT AND SELL IT.

theyre worth about 75$ in uncut form and drop from there as theyre modified.

so sell it and then but a ULE for 25-50$ more (depending on condition and what you get for the body)
    Nonsense. Stovepipe Emag bodies are not uncommon. Maybe worth $40-45. Heck KNM has three of them I think right now that he can't even get a buyer on. https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...nd-shadow-rail

Cut it down, save the basket and Luke or someone can reattach it if some purist comes along and wants to do so.

Now if it was a CF Minimag body or Classic RT body, I would say leave it alone and find an already cut one, but the CF Emag bodies are not rare.
    Last edited by OPBN; 08-23-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Nonsense. Stovepipe Emag bodies are not uncommon. Maybe worth $40-45. Heck KNM has three of them I think right now that he can't even get a buyer on. https://www.automags.org/forums/showt...nd-shadow-rail

Cut it down, save the basket and Luke or someone can reattach it if some purist comes along and wants to do so.

Now if it was a CF Minimag body or Classic RT body, I would say leave it alone and find an already cut one, but the CF Emag bodies are not rare.
    I figured it was like 5 bux, so either is a win

Quote Originally Posted by halB View Post
    I'm all for preserving rare items but within reason.

is that gifted and shipped?

true,

I have mine at that price because two I are in new condition and tunaman's last sale price on them was 75-90$ and really don't care if they sell

but cutting it is fine, regular cf emag bodies are not uncommon like OBPN said I have 4
    Last edited by knownothingmags; 08-23-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Heck KNM has three of them
    Heck what does KNM NOT have 3 of when it comes mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedy500 View Post
    Heck what does KNM NOT have 3 of when it comes mags.
    I really don't have that much stuff.
    if you compare me to some of the community

If you cut it can I get the scrap part you cut off????

Pretty please?

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    true,

I have mine at that price because two I are in new condition and tunaman's last sale price on them was 75-90$
    Which all it takes to make them new condition is polishing them up. And the $75-90 if full retail. I've picked up/sold 4-5 of them over the years and never paid more than $40 for any of them. I've also cut 2 of them...

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    If you cut it can I get the scrap part you cut off????

Pretty please?
    I don't understand why you would want it? It doesn't fit any hopper.

This can only mean one thing

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN
    ...and never paid more than $40 for any of them
    Man I must have paid too much for the one I bought for $60ish. It was cut and polished. Even worse was that it had the square bottom so it only fits AM rails. I am currently having a guy look into threading it for me. If it turns out to be an easy job then I might pick up a few of KNM's and get them cut too.

What is the ID on it? Might not work for what I was wanting it for. But then again it might.

Quote Originally Posted by Sk8ermog View Post
    Man I must have paid too much for the one I bought for $60ish. It was cut and polished. Even worse was that it had the square bottom so it only fits AM rails. I am currently having a guy look into threading it for me. If it turns out to be an easy job then I might pick up a few of KNM's and get them cut too.
    They fluctuate. A couple of years ago they seem to regularly pop up for $25-30. I've not seen one with a aquare bottom before...

lol the one you purchased was it cut before you got it?

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    What is the ID on it? Might not work for what I was wanting it for. But then again it might.

How the heck do I ID it?

Ya'll are mean! Acting like I know anything about this!

Seriously, I have no idea about this thing.

Use a set of calipers that can gauge the expansion of the jaws, and then find out what the inside diameter is in hundredths of an inch. Something like 0.755"

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    Use a set of calipers that can gauge the expansion of the jaws, and then find out what the inside diameter is in hundredths of an inch. Something like 0.755"
    ID = inner diameter. For reference, OD = outside/outer diameter. ..

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    I got the inner diameter at 1.04

Quote Originally Posted by knownothingmags View Post
    lol the one you purchased was it cut before you got it?
    Yeah. Here is a pic:

It's the bottom right one. Forgot who I just bought it from. I've been buying too much.

Here is what I'm wanting to do with it. Having a guy work on it now.

Yeah. Here is a pic:

It's the bottom right one. Forgot who I just bought it from. I've been buying too much.

Here is what I'm wanting to do with it. Having a guy work on it now.

That is a CF AM/MM body. Yeah, they actually sold some of those. Tuna had a few of them up until a couple of years ago.

It all comes down to "do want you want". While there is a certain credence to preserving some original parts, it's also at the descretion of the owner as they are the ones that have to hold onto the unmodified part and possibly have it langquish in a toolbox somewhere. In this case, the stock stovepipe bodies are somewhat useless unless you want to wrap the feed neck of the hopper in electrical tape and cram it into the basket. Then by todays standards, they are kind of ridiculous looking. I have a CF MM body that is uncut, but has the basket removed (got it this way and it actually looked factory). I tinkered with the idea of cutting it down, but decided to leave it as is since I'm using it on a pump and it allows for a bit of stack, which is helpful. If I was using it for anything else, I would probably have cut it already.