Thread: Classic Mag with Warp Question

Classic Mag with Warp Question

I stopped playing about 5 years ago and just started up again with some friends and I'm loving the game again.

I wanted to get a drop forward for my mag to get the tank out of the way.

Any suggestions on a good drop?
    Should I be concerned when shopping for one?
    Would there be any concerns I should note when putting a drop on my mag?

Any advice would be great

Thanks!

If you want to use the bottle as a stock, then get an ASA that mounts directly on the bottom of the grip frame. That will keep your gun at its lowest profile and allow you to operate the trigger without bending your wrist around the large diameter of a tank that is mounted on a drop forward placing it directly under your grip frame. That is also the correct spacing to keep your mask off of the back of the gun when aiming. When using a drop forward, quite often the bottle is far enough forward, that you can't hold the gun tight when firing without scratching your lens on the back of the gun.

When shopping for a drop, consider an on-off type. That way you can attach a bottle and play around with the gun without gassing up the valve.
    Except for the Automag in front, its usually the man behind the equipment that counts.

I've always had a drop forwards on my guns. 68 automag in the early 90s. and an offset drop forward on my rt. Always made them so they were the perfect amount forward and down for what I like. And balance. But never any issues. What kind of issues are you worried about?

And welcome back to the game. Seems there are a few of us coming back to the game this year after a few years absent.

Name:  IMG_20130228_173929_366.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  23.3 KB

Here is my offset. getting to and from play it feels a little side heavy having the tank and hopper on the left side of the gun. but in play I don't notice it at all. And my trigger hand just rests next to the tank with my arm tucked in.

I always ran a pretty significant drop until I got my 45/45 tank... like, back of the gun rubbing my lenses style drop. But then I conformed to the new mini rail w/ on off and it feels great with the smaller tank. I used to run a kapp cradle offset left with a 68ci. Felt great, I also rocked a standard right body back then and it balanced out pretty well.

On my pistol I plan to run a 3" forward 1 1/2" down drop with my 45/45, either stick feed or small Hopper. It will pretty much put the gun in my face again

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    Name:  IMG_20130228_173929_366.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  23.3 KB

Here is my offset. getting to and from play it feels a little side heavy having the tank and hopper on the left side of the gun. but in play I don't notice it at all. And my trigger hand just rests next to the tank with my arm tucked in.
    I ran one similar to that when I first put a drop on my mag. It was a Kapp with an offset. The only thing I didn't like was that I couldn't shoot left handed, so I had to change back to a standard drop.

After I got a bottom mount, I never went back to the drop due to the comfort. I actually ran an 88ci behind my gun and the distance in front was perfect for me, and I'm not a big guy.

I can see that. First time I played with the offset idea I loved it till I went to shoot left handed off the left side. It works. But not comfortable at all. And you stick a lot of arm out in the open. I learned real quick not to change hands. But to shift the tank stock to the left shoulder and keep the right hand on the trigger. I feel I am quicker off the left side doing that then I would be shooting left hand because there is no time spent shifting hands. I just reach over more with the right hand. And man. If I had the tank mounted on the grip frame I would feel like I was shooting a rifle for how long the reach would be from the grip frame to the end of the tank/stock. But that's the beauty of choice. We all see what works best for us and use it.

Name:  IMG_20130301_094449.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  27.5 KB
    Sounds about where mine is at. But this is a 68 ci tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokrkilr View Post

On my pistol I plan to run a 3" forward 1 1/2" down drop with my 45/45, either stick feed or small Hopper. It will pretty much put the gun in my face again

If you're going to get a drop-forward, make sure it's got enough clearance so that you can screw your tank in without hitting the gauge and fill nipple.

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdeath1k View Post
    What kind of issues are you worried about?
    Well since i'm running a warp feed I just wanted to make sure I had clearance and could put any type of drop on my gun. I didnt even think about an offset. maybe that would be good. I'll post some pictures of my current setup later today.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    If you're going to get a drop-forward, make sure it's got enough clearance so that you can screw your tank in without hitting the gauge and fill nipple.
    Oh hmm, do most drops not allocate room for this? or does it just depend on drop vs tank?

Most do, its usually the reg style that messes this geometry up. When I had my regular long style reg on my drop everything would clear, then I switched to my new short style crossfire and the fill nipple cover hits the drop. Its no big deal, I just pop it off when I screw the tank in and put it back on.

Here is some pictures of my gun

Does anyone have any recommendation on a drop forward/ASA/offset I should take a look at getting?

Name:  IMG_0939_zps16c7782b.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  24.7 KB
    Name:  20130202_164858_zpsd5a7a8db.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  53.5 KB
    Name:  20130202_153737_zps70f25ede.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  54.2 KB