Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Ideas to improve AO

No problem. I'm working with your guy to get things rolling.

Let me know if you guys find any issues with the new template.

This is fantastic! After all these years, seeing my pic over there got me really proud. I can honestly say that I have visited this web site on a daily basis for almost 8 years already. Thanks soooo much, Bunny!!!

The buttons that used to be at the top right are covered. e.g. The "Notification" Button.

Like it. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnage reigns View Post
    The buttons that used to be at the top right are covered. e.g. The "Notification" Button.
    What browser are you using? Are you using an ad-blocker type of application? We saw this issue on the dev forums too.

What buttons are you talking about? Can you see the Welcome, Username Notifications My profile Settings Log Out

Also, what browser are you using? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    What buttons are you talking about? Can you see the Welcome, Username Notifications My profile Settings Log Out

Also, what browser are you using? Thanks!
    No I can't. I am using Firefox 16.0.1 but it's updating now.

Edit: Now I'm up to 19.0.2 and I still can't see it all the way. I can see the tippy top behind the search bar.

Edit: It worked before the change this morning. Do I need to browse this site on IE? And I don't see a banner.

I can see the site fine in IE and Chrome though. IE is usually the problem browser. This is weird.
    Last edited by Carnage reigns; 03-12-2013 at 09:09 AM.

No I can't. I am using Firefox 16.0.1 but it's updating now.

Edit: Now I'm up to 19.0.2 and I still can't see it all the way. I can see the tippy top behind the search bar.
    I have IE 10 and it works perfectly here.

Your problem is that you're using a Duke theme on your Firefox browser. The AO banner is refusing to share screen space as a result, and is on strike.

No, really, the problem is your Adblock extension. I had this same problem on the Dev forum and here as well when it came live. Just whitelist the automags.org domain (i.e. don't run Adblock on this site) and you'll be fine.

It happened to me using both Firefox and Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Justus View Post
    Your problem is that you're using a Duke theme on your Firefox browser. The AO banner is refusing to share screen space as a result, and is on strike.

No, really, the problem is your Adblock extension. I had this same problem on the Dev forum and here as well when it came live. Just whitelist the automags.org domain (i.e. don't run Adblock on this site) and you'll be fine.

It happened to me using both Firefox and Chrome.
    Thank you and that worked. If I had to choose between Duke and the browser not working or a working browser I can see AO it would be DUKE!!!! That's my squad in b-ball.

Thanks Justus! I'm trying to figure which would be easier... Rename the CSS files to exclude the word banner... or force people not to block ads on automags.org I will downloading mozilla tonight to try and find a solution so people don't have to mess with their browsers at all.

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far, I worked really hard on this so i'm glad everyone likes it as much as I do.

Btw, if anyone missed out on the chance to be in the banner, I will post another thread in a few months so you can be on the top of the page as well.

Thanks Justus! I'm trying to figure which would be easier... Rename the CSS files to exclude the word banner... or force people not to block ads on automags.org I will downloading mozilla tonight to try and find a solution so people don't have to mess with their browsers at all.

Thanks for all the positive feedback so far, I worked really hard on this so i'm glad everyone likes it as much as I do.

Btw, if anyone missed out on the chance to be in the banner, I will post another thread in a few months so you can be on the top of the page as well.
    This new site is AWESOME. It looks incredible and I am very happy you put in this work. Now if we do that front page... LOL. But from the bottom of my heart thank you for the site and justus thank you for helping with my problem.

Thumbs up

Chrome is rendering like the picture above as well. (i.e. missing the banner) Chrome Version 26.0.1410.28

Also the border of the "headline" gif automags.org online is really jagged. Maybe .png would be better choice as it can handle larger color space and gradient opacity. In this case it would create better anti aliasing on the transparency edge.

Other than that, good work on the theme!

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    Chrome is rendering like the picture above as well. (i.e. missing the banner) Chrome Version 26.0.1410.28

Also the border of the "headline" gif automags.org online is really jagged. Maybe .png would be better choice as it can handle larger color space and gradient opacity. In this case it would create better anti aliasing on the transparency edge.

Other than that, good work on the theme!

Laku: By any chance do you have any add-ons with chrome? Any type of ad blockers?

I may clean up the logo, a bit. Unfortunately I couldn't find the exact font for AO so I basically left it as is. I think I could make it a png though.

Quote Originally Posted by Laku View Post
    Chrome's running fine here.

Version 25.0.1364.152 m & Version 25.0.1364.160 m
    Last edited by Dayspring; 03-12-2013 at 12:03 PM.

If the Adblock is turned off for the site, and the banners are placed correctly, the Automags.org/Online logo is pushed all the way up into the gray header and you never see the jagged edges.

By the way, the jagged edges are a product of the text using a drop shadow and a transparent background. Older "photoshop"-like programs didn't know how to handle opacity very well, and would fill in the transparency gradient of a shadow effect with a background color. In this case, that background color at least was a spot-on match for the color of the header. And that's why it will never be noticed if the header is placed properly by the browser. (i.e., simply whitelist the automags.org domain)

Yep, it was the Adblock. Forgot it as it rarely makes any trouble.

Did I miss a data call for pictures for the photobanner?
    Stay Classy, AO...
    BEO: RIP / Topgun Paintball: RIP / Old MCB: RIP

Quote Originally Posted by zondo View Post
    Did I miss a data call for pictures for the photobanner?
    Yup.

Stick around for a couple months - we'll do another round.

Quote Originally Posted by Dayspring View Post
    Yup.

Stick around for a couple months - we'll do another round.
    I've been here since '06 so I guess a few more months won't kill me

Now that the design is out of the way and I have access to upload new headers.... I don't think there will be any problems adding AOers to the banner in the near future. The only real problem is to get people to take high quality pictures. At least get the camera guy to take a picture a little closer.... I think people want to see what kind of automag you are shooting!! lol

Now that the design is out of the way and I have access to upload new headers.... I don't think there will be any problems adding AOers to the banner in the near future. The only real problem is to get people to take high quality pictures. At least get the camera guy to take a picture a little closer.... I think people want to see what kind of automag you are shooting!! lol
    That's true. When I realized that the photos we posted were going in the banner I started looking for a better one. Still can't find it, but when I do I'll send over a newly revised banner to upload/replace mine next time around. There are a few pics that show off those beautiful 'Mags, instead of just those ugly mugs. Those are the better ones.

this is really looking great! i havent been around this neck of the interwebs as long as many of you, but i have to say its awesome to see my picture in the banner!

THANK YOU BUNNY for all your hard work! Dayspring as well, and anyone else who has been contributing!

Great Job!

Used to be when you did a search you could pick which forums you wanted to search in, but that option doesnt seem avaiable now. Is there anyway to turn that back on? I.E. I want to search for "ULE" in the BST Misc parts thread. Or am I doinitrong?

Quote Originally Posted by OPBN View Post
    Used to be when you did a search you could pick which forums you wanted to search in, but that option doesnt seem avaiable now. Is there anyway to turn that back on? I.E. I want to search for "ULE" in the BST Misc parts thread. Or am I doinitrong?
    Click Advanced Search on the top right. Click "Search Single Content Type" It is under Additional Options.

Click Advanced Search on the top right. Click "Search Single Content Type" It is under Additional Options.
    Hmm. Swear it wasnt there before....

I'll take a closer look at this later today. I think we should have it defaulted back to the single search. I think it has something to do with the templates in vbulletin.

I'll take a closer look at this later today. I think we should have it defaulted back to the single search. I think it has something to do with the templates in vbulletin.
    Its definitely there now. Maybe I missed it. Its totally possible.