PDA

View Full Version : Race and paintball...some more PBN runoff

Carbon
08-30-2003, 03:11 AM
well heres a thread that seems rather interesting. Anyway check it out Link (http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304094&perpage=21&pagenumber=1)

The local field i play on has a jumble of players. Mostly caucasian and and a fewer number of Hispanic/Mexican and Asian folks, not that it matters. I was curious of what the situation is like in your region.

I suppose there are fewer "colored" folks that play paintball soley based on the the fact that there are fewer colored folks in the U.S. Anway, chime in if ya feel like it.

spydervenom
08-30-2003, 09:24 AM
i've never seen anyone other than white people at my local field.

that may be because there are like 20 athletic black people around here.
and almost no other minorities.

FalconGuy016
08-30-2003, 09:26 AM
I live in the most diverse region of the US
However... I hardly see any black people. Although, there are some for sure (but there are 150+ walk ons a weekend day)

cphilip
08-30-2003, 09:33 AM
We got some Blue, Green and Purple People at our field.... Whats with this "Colored" people thing? I thought that went out in the 60's!

Carefull that you do not offend anyone here. We have one Black team member that plays sometimes.

shartley
08-30-2003, 09:47 AM
I have seen a good mixture of races whenever I am with paintball players. What I see is a cross section of the population in any given area.

Other than that, I find it best not to talk about it in general forums…. You are bound to offend someone, even if unintentionally.

jdev
08-30-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by cphilip
We got some Blue, Green and Purple People at our field.... Whats with this "Colored" people thing? I thought that went out in the 60's!

Carefull that you do not offend anyone here. We have one Black team member that plays sometimes.

..thought this went out in the 60s too.. and I wasnt even born back then.

personally, I dont think color of your skin, heritage, nationality, favorite color or preferred cookie matters in paintball.. nor anywhere else.

...well, that is unless you join a cookie club, then im sure preferred cookie matters.

Spartan X
08-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Some times I like playing with a brother more then a fellow cracker :D Just like there are cool black people, and bads one, this goes with the same for us (white) There is going to be some trash in the world weather it be white or black.

Big'n slo
08-30-2003, 10:35 AM
I've noticed a bunch of fat old guys and skinny little punks where I play. Oh, and then there are those "Rich" people... I won't even go there. :rolleyes:

Major Ho
08-30-2003, 10:43 AM
According to the newest census, Hispanics are the largest minority group in the US. I wouldnt think that there are "fewer colored folks in the U.S."
Hey Jon, did you notice there a lot more asian folk goin to pevs@AG.
Im always seeing a big posse of them now a days...
Just wondering if you noticed.

jayloo
08-30-2003, 11:00 AM
This thread is funny...and I have to add my 2 cents here.

Any differences just boil down to personal interest, cultural differences and % of any minority in a given community.

I'll stop here.

ZAust
08-30-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
I live in the most diverse region of the US
However... I hardly see any black people. Although, there are some for sure (but there are 150+ walk ons a weekend day)

umm.. ever hear of california? at most of the fields i play at, there is a great variety of racial backgrounds present. but you now what, that just doesnt matter to me.

Ov3rmind
08-30-2003, 12:21 PM
I live in a pretty white place (Utah). I wont lie, most of the people who play here are white. But there are some Polynesian guys who who play, and some occasional other minorities. Quite honestly, I'd say the paintballers in this state are more diverse then the general population.

nate2k191
08-30-2003, 01:25 PM
doesnt matter what race you are if u got some money for a paintball gun and wanna play, i dont see why you wouldn't; paintballing is fun as a djfgklj. but then again i dont see too many black people playing badminton, just an observation.

08-30-2003, 06:06 PM
This has to be the stupidest thread or atleast in the top 5.

cockermongol
08-30-2003, 08:17 PM
I've never seen a black guy play paintball. I mean not even a picture. There are a few mexicans that play in Fresno, CA but that's because whites are the minority. Still more whites.

I don't really think this thread is that stupid. It is noticible that the demographics of paintball is mostly white, even in areas (like mine) where whites are in the minority (not that noticible, really). My local shop owner is Mexican American.

Carbon
08-30-2003, 10:15 PM
This is where i defend/explain myself.

First off, the term "colored" is just a generic word i use, i understand with some folks it caries some weight in its context. Your right i shoulda used a mor "P.C." term. But why? Would it of been more polite to say "folks of color"? should i of said Asian, African American, Mexican? Casue if ya think about it those terms only describe geogrphical regions of where people come from. You can be African American and still be Causcasian. In anycase ill just say non-caucasian, oh but what about those bi-racial folks?

And yes i pball with people from all slices of the spectrum. I agree, it doesnt matter what color (oops theres that word again) you are, if your on the recieving end of my barrel you gonna get it no matter what color.

But there is no doubt that when money and business gets involved, numbers start to appear. In any endeavor.

This has to be the stupidest thread or atleast in the top 5.

WHY? Does it make u uncomfortable to open up your eyes, and notice your surroundings. Seriously why is it stupid to ask?

Anyway, iwas just hoping yall AO intellectuals can answer my original thread, without getting all offended. I suppose thats not to much to ask, or too much of a touchy subject...

Branchvillian
08-30-2003, 10:21 PM
I see mostly asians playing, and know of only one black person who plays. It's pretty diverse.

Ronin 23
08-30-2003, 10:32 PM
There should be a minimum IQ and sensibilities requirement before one can post on a thread like this and the one in PBN.:)

Unfortunately, technology still hasn't caught up with the speed that some people's mouth run at.

Folks, this is a serious and sensitive social issue that we're having a dialogue on. We should keep our posts 'thoughtful' and 'sensible' as to not display our lack of intelligence.....:)

Army
08-30-2003, 10:48 PM
The only color I see, is the paint I put on your goggles.

cockermongol
08-30-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Ronin 23
There should be a minimum IQ and sensibilities requirement before one can post on a thread like this and the one in PBN.:)

Unfortunately, technology still hasn't caught up with the speed that some people's mouth run at.

Folks, this is a serious and sensitive social issue that we're having a dialogue on. We should keep our posts 'thoughtful' and 'sensible' as to not display our lack of intelligence.....:) \
I saw lots of stupid posts on PBN, none on this thread yet. Read it with an open mind, don't always assume everyone is trying to be racist.

Demographics are always interesting. The way things go in most things is that a member of a race may feel like they don't fit in, or might not if they started playing. When they feel comfortable around the people who play regardless of race they may go out and invite some people of their own race into the sport. If they remain undeterred (ie there aren't a bunch of red-necks playing) then you will have a demographics change (more minorites entering the sport).

The reason demographics have changed in Basketball (for example) from mostly white to mostly black is because blacks got used to being the minority, so it didn't bother them when there were only a few of them on a basketball team. But when demographics change to when black people become the majority many white people feel uncomfortable because it is something they are unfamiliar with. Eventually this will change and when white people don't feel intimidated by being the minority, more white people will live in areas or enter sports where they will be surrounded by people of a different color.

This situation can create some racism in areas and have led to a phenomenon called "white-flight". It's basically a pure racist term for when white people enter the minority and once you get over that "hill" you will see a rapid demographics change from half-white half-black to mostly black because white people hate to be the minority. It is so bad in some areas where racism is common (I live in California and my visit to Michigan was a REAL eye-opener) that if one black man were to move to a town and was determined to stay, despite the racist remarks and rocks being thrown at him (this actually happened) many of the most racist white people would up and leave the town and go somewhere else. Then (because the damn red-necks in the area won't move into a town that has a black guy in it) the houses of the first people who left remain empty until another black person moves in. The whites were uncomfortable enough having one black man in town, now there are 5 families of black people. The beginning stages of "white-flight"...

The day people can see beyond the color of other people's skin and diversity is celebrated and not looked down upon, that is the day white-flight will become a thing of the past. Hopefully since most of the people who play paintball never really grew up with racism this will not happen when people of different races start playing paintball. White-flight will be a thing of the past when this generation starts owning homes, because (i'm not saying ALL) but MOST adults in the more sensative areas (people born in the South in the 60s, for example) would be the first to pack their bags when a black family moved into town...

Ronin 23
08-31-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by cockermongol
\
I saw lots of stupid posts on PBN, none on this thread yet. Read it with an open mind, don't always assume everyone is trying to be racist.

You're right, there hasn't been anything stupid that has been said in this thread.

Because people here have been 'thoughtful' and 'sensible' and the IQ level in this forum is a bit higher than PBN (for the most part...lol).:)

Toxic Dave
08-31-2003, 09:14 PM
I would assume that if you live in an area where there is a more "mixed" population you will see more minorities playing paintball..it's basic statistics. If zero latin-americans live in an area, there will be zero latins playing paintball.

To say that there are no blacks, latinos or Asians playing paintball is rediculous. Purely for stats, there are 2 Puerto Ricans and one Asian guy on my team. There are also 2 polish guys, and a gang of Italians. We all make fun of eachother's race constantly. We're weird what can I say.

The one nationality that is taking over the tourney scene is Philipino's there have to be 10 guys on LA Ironmen and Oakland Assasins I think Avalanch has a couple Philipino's too. Mel? What's up? the Filipino's are running the West Coast, you better the get the East-Side guys going!

dave/ gz

Ronin 23
09-01-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Toxic Dave

The one nationality that is taking over the tourney scene is Philipino's there have to be 10 guys on LA Ironmen and Oakland Assasins I think Avalanch has a couple Philipino's too. Mel? What's up? the Filipino's are running the West Coast, you better the get the East-Side guys going!

dave/ gz

All in good time my brother, all in good time. You're absolutely dead-on dude. Larger metropolitan areas (NYC, LA, etc.) tend to more evenly represented when it comes to ethnic diversity....and that's GREAT.

Nothing can be better for paintball than showing corporate America that paintball is indeed the most egalitarian sport.

That's why my fellow baller-brothers, let us pardon the lack of tolerance and the massive display of ignorance from those individuals who hale from places like Bumblebutt, Pennsyltuky and Cowtown U.S.A. For they know not the true meaning of baller-brotherhood the way we know it to be. (Offfense intended to our bretherens in rural America).

We pray that someday they can truly enjoy the company of some good people of other races and creed...... and understand what you and I already know: that we are bound by something that transcends the color of our skin. Our shared passion for the game.

Best regards,
/s/ Mel C. Maravilla
PBX Legion

Ronin 23
09-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Ronin 23

(Offfense intended to our bretherens in rural America).

It should be "NO OFFENSE intended to our bretherens in rural America"

Carbon
09-01-2003, 01:32 AM
We all make fun of eachother's race constantly. We're weird what can I say.

Word. Its always cool when you can get past color, to a point when you can make fun of each other with it. My buddies and i do it also.

We pray that someday they can truly enjoy the company of some good people of other races and creed...... and understand what you and I already know: that we are bound by something that transcends the color of our skin. Our shared passion for the game.

Yeah!

Nothing can be better for paintball than showing corporate America that paintball is indeed the most egalitarian sport.

Sure enuff. Digresing- i find this almost a parallel to hip hop culture and music as well. Back in the early 80s to the early 90s, hip hop was considered and ethnocentric fad. Now, its everywhere and its cool. I dig it. This is relatively similar to paintball, where in the earlier days, it was considered some kind of survivalist/militarist exclusive activity. Now its everywhere, I dig it.

Thanx for your comments. Lets keep this thread goin, it would be cool to get a general idea of the regional ethnic, or lack of diversity. I trust AO to keep it civil.

ERut
09-01-2003, 02:46 AM
Around here there's a gagillion asian guys, but who cares?

AL3X OAKL3Y
09-01-2003, 05:26 AM
Toronto Canada. should be enough said but, u will see everyone one form every where playing.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
09-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Considering I play at a different feild everytime I go, I hardly ever see the same people everytime. I have actually seen a few 'colored' and Afghan people. Surpisingly no Mexicans (I live in Texas..)