PDA

View Full Version : Shatnerball...who won?

gibby
09-01-2003, 01:01 AM
Any body else wondering about this? If you know anything...please let us know how it went down! :)

wobbles82
09-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Eh..bro...its not over? Lol, im quite...make that really sure its not over yet? I dunno, but I wouldnt doubt Kayes commanding powers and the dark forces of AO to overrun this thing...no doubts here.
:D

Curly
09-01-2003, 01:16 AM
I just got official word from Muzikman that Shatner won again.

gibby
09-01-2003, 01:17 AM
UGH!! If so....FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curly
09-01-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by gibby
UGH!! If so....FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was his opinion. ;)

aaron_mag
09-01-2003, 09:45 AM
It is all about the fun and the charity! How many people really go to a scenario to win or lose. They go for the experience. Can't wait to read on AO about the event! Plus photos....

FalconGuy016
09-01-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by aaron_mag
It is all about the fun and the charity! How many people really go to a scenario to win or lose. They go for the experience. Can't wait to read on AO about the event! Plus photos....

Photos are up :)

Bigzamboni
09-01-2003, 10:00 AM
I was there. It seemed like it might have been fixed. True, I don't go to scenario games solely to win. I go for the strategy involved in completing missions and other tasks. If the game truly is fixed, it takes a lot of the fun out the the strategy, because if no matter how hard one team tries to outsmart and outmaneuver the other, they have no chance of their effort paying off, there isn't much of a point to it.

LaW
09-01-2003, 11:15 AM
For me, it played more like a big game than a true scenario but I had a lot of fun and thats what it is all about. Rigged or not it was FUN and its just poor form to complain that it was rigged etc etc... If you get what I am saying??

I will say that shatner/mancow's team was stacked with some more players but that was my observation and I dont' know the actual numbers or facts and such.

I got to watch the first one as a volunteer ref but had to play this year and will make it every year. It is for a great cause and its a bunch of fun with straight up ballers out there.

gibby
09-01-2003, 12:53 PM
Anyone know the exact scores?

Hehe...anyway, Shatnerball reminds me of the Harlem Globetrotters...no matter how hard you play, the star team will always win.

Oh well, least everyone had fun. :)

Meph
09-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Rigged? Fixed?

Of course.

But guess what? I honestly couldn't care less . I had fun, and despite some of the lovely storied I COULD tell about the event, I won't. It wasn't about winning or losing. It's a charity event. And I was there just to have a good time, which I did! We lost, but oh well.

I did happen to get a 1 on 1 interview with The Shat, too. Quite fun. Have that on video, we had a blast. And if anybody here knows me, you will know the type of questions I asked (sneek preview of one question: Is it true you really want to just shoot the Trekkies legally?).

As for pictures.... I have a bunch. I just need someplace to host them. And to let you know of the quality of pictures I have, just ask Rambo Preacher or anybody from Evil Inc.!!!! Haha. I don't know how many want to see R.P.s tatooed buttock on stage, but I have that for hosting (it was for Charity!). And Mancows' too. I think was 600 raised just for that.

Speaking of Charity... I can't even imagine how much $$$ was raised for this event. I'd have to say, just from the auctions at the end of the day, 20Gs probably.

And of course, all of you that made it to the event. Expect that DVD around October time for this. I can't wait to see how hectic that Final Battle was in Tombstone! That was just insane.

TooDamnSweet
09-01-2003, 01:03 PM
How many players attended this year?

Sounds like everyone had a great time! I'm sorry I had to miss it....... :D

(stop whinning gibby)

Bigzamboni
09-01-2003, 01:30 PM
Score was 1,666 for Shatner and Mancow and 1,1xx for Tom Kaye and Glenn Palmer.

Pretty sure they said 1,666.

-=Squid=-
09-01-2003, 02:17 PM
Even if it were fixed, who cares? Its all about the experience, and if he lost, the story of the game wouldnt properly unfold. I was skeptical about the first one just because they were getting pwned all day, then BAM! Winners! I wasnt even aware shatnerball had happened yet :(

AGD
09-01-2003, 02:56 PM
It was NOT fixed! We were winning until a freak occurance caused us to loose our farm animals mid game which cost us the whole thing. More info later I am on the road.

AGD

-=Squid=-
09-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by AGD
It was NOT fixed! We were winning until a freak occurance caused us to loose our farm animals mid game which cost us the whole thing. More info later I am on the road.

AGD
:confused:

edweird
09-01-2003, 04:03 PM
Ok here is the explanation...

one of the major point items was a simulated cattle rustleing mission. This mission basicly has us collecting stuffed/inflated barnyard animals randomly across the feild, then returning them to our cattle pen near our command point.

Unfortunatly we pulled the proverbial short straw and had to use a very hard to defend base in comparion to the monster castle that shatner's cronies occupied.

Most of the day we controlled nearly 2/3rds of the plush goodies and where racking up the points. Unfortunatly the do-gooder bastages launched a clandestine attack during our capture of shatner that TK set up on the side. Anyhow we all watched in horror as blue streamed in and tryed to hold us at our deployment zone. After 30 minutes of this and 2 instant redeployments we beat back the blue ones and reclaimed 7 of our 14 furry point machines.

anyhow this loss allowed the cav/posse to gain enough points to push ahead and make it neck and neck into the final hour long 400 on 400 speedball game

unfortunatly 99.9995% of us did not know what the exact objective of the last game was ... nor did the refs

so when it came down to it the shatner worshippers managed to keep one guy in the center flag station and pulled 10% of the total points (500) for the win.

Im sure it could of went either way... but all in all it was a riot. I wont make complaints about anything... and I hope that next year we can work out the communication bugs we had and dominate as we should of.

davidb
09-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Ah yes of course, the ol' "farm animals cost us the game" bit. I would have expected better, sir! :D ;)

gibby
09-01-2003, 04:57 PM
HAHAHA!! I knew Shatner was into farm animals! LOL...JK!!! ;)

Albinonewt
09-01-2003, 05:11 PM
Yeah, it was a fantastic day and there's really nothing else that can be said about it. All day we played and had fun. I don't think anyone came away from the day without having one of the best times they ever had at a scenario game.

Bigzamboni
09-01-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Albinonewt
Yeah, it was a fantastic day and there's really nothing else that can be said about it. All day we played and had fun. I don't think anyone came away from the day without having one of the best times they ever had at a scenario game.

I have to agree with that. The really only bad thing was the close distance of insertion points, but that had the upside of having some turkey shoot fun to it.

Hanging around the AGD booth was fun too. I must say, you are one funyn guy, Newt.

Who was the guy from Wisconsin(I think) who was I was talking to a lot? I forgot your name.:rolleyes:

LaW
09-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Could be me man, I was around the AGD booth a lot...

Mark

Bigzamboni
09-01-2003, 05:31 PM
Did you have only like $15 dollars left and was driving with a friend?

I was passing around my Excalibur frequently, and the guy I'm thinking of played with it a few times. There'll be a pic somewhere and I'll know. Just trying to figure out who I met. I'm not too good with names.

LaW
09-01-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Bigzamboni
Did you have only like $15 dollars left and was driving with a friend?

that would be me :) since they didnt take credit cards for paint :)

Star_Base_CGI
09-01-2003, 05:54 PM
Tom put %140 into the game. The game was very close, within a 1000+ range point total.

Everybody was a winner because the proceeds went to charity!

TooDamnSweet
09-01-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by AGD

AGD

:D

I can't wait to read about it Tom. Way to go for raising money for a great cause!

I saw some of the pictures and you had that great smile of yours. Next year, you and Shatner should get a picture in with those "come hither" smiles of yours......I bet there will be alot more women in attendence :D

TooDamnSweet
09-01-2003, 05:59 PM

So this is what you're doing while I'm slaving over the hot stove......... ;)

Bigzamboni
09-01-2003, 06:38 PM
Are the future ones going to be somewhat historical based as this one? I wouldn't mind a World War 2 one with Shatner's team being the French Resistance. Then they would have to lose. :D :p

I hope I can go to next year's. Don't think it'll be at a place so close for a while though. The timing kind of hurts for travel plans, at least in my case, when it isn't as close as it was, with school and parental transportation. :rolleyes:

Oh.. LaW.. I must add, you are one cool dude. Hope to meet up with you again sometime. I need to figure out a way ti add some adjustability to that magnetic frame.

LaW
09-01-2003, 06:42 PM
thanks man! I am sure I will see most of you guys again for sure. I am definately making shatnerball an annual thing for me since I have made both of them so far :) It is just too fun not to do it. Next time I am bringing more cash!

I still have not taken anything out of the car, My jersey is drenched in paint from me running out with the wang force sign and the flag during the final battle. One of my masks is still all pink too :)

Muzikman
09-01-2003, 07:07 PM
So that was you huh :)

http://www.automags.org/~Muzikman/Events/Shatner03/Popup2712.jpg

LaW
09-01-2003, 09:17 PM
NICE!!!!

Didn't catch that one

kevdupuis
09-01-2003, 09:36 PM

Nah, just Mancow. He had a new pair of velcro gloves made up for this event.;) :D

AutomagRT1483
09-02-2003, 01:01 AM
LaW, that was insane!!:D

Miscue
09-02-2003, 02:26 AM
How much charity money was raised compared to last year?

Albinonewt
09-02-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Miscue
How much charity money was raised compared to last year?

I don't know about last year, but I know Kaiser Bob is putting that little girl through college this year!

Way to be KB :)

Albinonewt
09-02-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by Bigzamboni
Are the future ones going to be somewhat historical based as this one? I wouldn't mind a World War 2 one with Shatner's team being the French Resistance. Then they would have to lose. :D :p

For the record, if I have to play as the French next year I'll never forgive anyone

Star_Base_CGI
09-02-2003, 06:58 AM
Shatner said Last years event raised $35,000. He cut back on all the expenses this year and this years event should be very close to that or more.

shivors
09-02-2003, 10:21 AM
Post removed....decided to keep my thoughts to myself.

Creative Mayhem
09-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Law... you da man... I cant believe i didnt shoot you while you ran... i was laughing soooo friggen hard i couldnt see straight. It was nice of our team to give you cover though wasn't it... BTW did you happen to notice all the blue shirts pointing at you as you ran that way... I think they were laughing at it just as hard as we were:D

CM

shivors
09-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Now on a better note...

I cannot begin to express the respect I have for Tom Kaye. I will follow him into any battle...any day. In the heat of an intense firefight, here comes a lunatic in a black hat and black tactical vest rallying his troops and slowly walking through.

Between his on-field presence and off-field professionalism, there could be no better ambassador to the sport of paintball. (and I don’t even use his companies products)

LaW
09-02-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Creative Mayhem
Law... you da man... I cant believe i didnt shoot you while you ran... i was laughing soooo friggen hard i couldnt see straight. It was nice of our team to give you cover though wasn't it... BTW did you happen to notice all the blue shirts pointing at you as you ran that way... I think they were laughing at it just as hard as we were:D

CM

HAHA yeah that was nice for the first run... the other two runs I did when we all charged, the first charge I got shot in the back of the head 2-3 times and in the back a lot!! The second time I just kind of waved the flag and hung back a little, stood out in the open when everyone was looking for cover.

I have some really solid welts from that as well as a few good sized bruises on my right side but you know what? It was still just a blast doing it! :)

Cannot wait till next year!

Star_Base_CGI
09-02-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by shivors
Now on a better note...

I cannot begin to express the respect I have for Tom Kaye. I will follow him into any battle...any day. In the heat of an intense firefight, here comes a lunatic in a black hat and black tactical vest rallying his troops and slowly walking through.

Between his on-field presence and off-field professionalism, there could be no better ambassador to the sport of paintball. (and I don’t even use his companies products)

Tom was very profesional and he made time to talk to me. Apparantly he was sick from the drive and the elavation but he did not let on. He smiled alot and than introduced me to Glenn Palmer. Who was also not feelign well but was very profesional. Tom was talking about SCADA switchs with a coal power plant engineer.

Tom is also like me, very distrustful about the system. He had alot of questions about the SCADA or the switching systems. He asked if there was any way a power plant failure would take out 5 states. The power plant engineer said there is no way that could ever happen.

Tom and I had both watched a show on SCADA, PBS, NOVA a few months back. Tom had noted that the entire system runs on Microsoft software. Which isnt very secure and I had mentioned I saw the same show.

After that the engineer went over to pub crawlers and had about 30 beers. Than the next day he was offfered tripple overtime and went back to work. $90 an hour. I can imagine making $90 an hour.

Darkstorm
09-03-2003, 08:45 AM
I was talking to Blue and at one point we had them worried because during the day, we were POUNDING the Calavry. And there were a lot of different things happening during the game that people didn't always see.

For example, I got to see the start of TomK take on Shatner in a speedball game because I was a lone raider that was stalking that part of the field. (Initially, I was sneaking up to shoot those guys).

There are things we could have done better from a winning perspective, but from a FUN stand point I think most people had a blast.

However, the biggest mistake was made after the game Blue said something the the effect that "it appears the M-7 may be unbeatable". That is the same thing the RTD use to say. So, the TEXAS ARMY may have to join up with AO and give Shatner a 'schooling' like he has never had before.

Dayspring
09-03-2003, 09:25 AM
Try actually playing in it. :D

Originally posted by Darkstorm
For example, I got to see the start of TomK take on Shatner in a speedball game because I was a lone raider that was stalking that part of the field. (Initially, I was sneaking up to shoot those guys).

Aries
09-03-2003, 08:36 PM
You know I dont really care who won I had fun all the same....ok now I'm just lying, lol, I wish we had won and I thinkn we should had, I mean we had a better team. In the end though I guess it did come down to the number of trekkys, I mean players on the other team.

Meph
09-03-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Darkstorm
That is the same thing the RTD use to say. So, the TEXAS ARMY may have to join up with AO and give Shatner a 'schooling' like he has never had before.

Oh, yes I recall. How couldn't I? It was only this last May 24/25th!

shivors
09-04-2003, 06:26 AM
In the end though I guess it did come down to the number of trekkys, I mean players on the other team.

I would have to say that it came down to one side having a kickass tank all day while the other team had a so-so tank that broke down at 1:00-2:00. The walked their tank almost to our base.

The other key is the fact that they gave the team with more points the almost guaranteed winning starting point on the final game.

I for one will probably not go back if this is the way it will be run in the future. I understand it is for charity and all but I dont like losing. I can have the same amount of fun at one of the other six thousand scenario games throughout the year.

aaron_mag
09-04-2003, 08:44 AM
The other key is the fact that they gave the team with more points the almost guaranteed winning starting point on the final game.......I for one will probably not go back if this is the way it will be run in the future.

Quad cities....cool. Did an appraisal there recently. Anyway....

I wasn't there. Hope to make it some day. The griping about winning/losing really surprises me. Yes it appears that Shatner had the really killer base (from the posts) but isn't that the way it is supposed to be? AO being experienced paintball players should be pumped about a challenge. Also Shatner and Mancow are guests to paintball (in a sense) while Tom and Glen are regulars who go to events all year long. It makes sense that you give the guests the good base.......especially if you want those guests to come back and visit again! I mean Tom who is the general of your team isn't griping about losing. He seems to think it was awesome. I just don't get it......

Bigzamboni
09-04-2003, 02:04 PM

I would have to say that it came down to one side having a kickass tank all day while the other team had a so-so tank that broke down at 1:00-2:00. The walked their tank almost to our base.

I ran(as much as I was capable of, at the time) out to the staging area to find a set of jumper cables with the battery pack to bring out to the tank. I'm hobblinh back to it carrying the huge thing, and they had gotten it started.

Perhaps there needs to be an official AO tank? Based off of, say, one of these (http://www.polizeiautos.de/show_one.php?id=984). Or at least more than just a golf cart or whatever it was.

shivors
09-04-2003, 04:00 PM
I did have fun as any paintball addict would with large numbers of targets running around but I tend to enjoy the opportunity to win. I dont mind losing a battle or a war if I get beat or the opposing team is just better. (which never happens cuz I am so uber it is silly)

I am glad to have helped out charities and that wonderful little girl with cancer but I dropped 800 dollars on this trip and I am not ashamed to say that I want the chance to win in a fair contest. "B" rate actors feelings be damned.

One more point...I was greatful to have such kickass teammates. (I even looked past your silly AGD markers) Win or lose thes guys on my team (Raiders/Cyborgs) put the hammer down and went all out start to finish.

Meph
09-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Hey now, I was a Cyborg but not using my Mag dosh gonit shivors. Though the looking silly part I did!

DragonMan
09-04-2003, 10:59 PM
I can't tell you what the score was for the Raiders or the Cavalry, but the winners HAD to be Kayleigh Wilkes and the kids of the Shatner charities.

I do know that the side I played for (Raiders) had fewer points but I've never let the final tally get in the way of a good time. And this weekend was certainly a good time. And I sure felt like that I came home as a winner. Why? Because I felt like I accomplished something just by being at the game. Plus it didn't hurt my feeling at all that I won the high bid for the autographed flag.

Overall the score just doesn't matter. What is important (especially in scenario ball) is that you had a good time and got to meet fellow paintballers with the same interest in having fun.

I had a blast.

DragonMan
Mayberry Marauders
(Proud owner of a new E-Mag and 3 old Mags)