PDA

View Full Version : My Paintball Paper for School

MattG
09-01-2003, 03:28 PM
This is my paintball paper for school. Please flame gramatical errors and spelling errors.

My favorite place to go is where I have the most fun and spend lots of my time. It’s where I am the happiest and I would rather be there than anywhere. If I could choose where I died it would be there with all my friends and family. The air filled, colorful, many shaped, pillows of fun are where I feel at home. They are ever changing and always comforting. Even at a time of distress and failure those sometime bouncy canvas bags of joy will never trash talk or overshoot. In the beginning they were bright red on one side and vibrant yellow on the other, but now they have almost every color of the rainbow strategically placed on all sides. The sound that is emitted when they reject the brightly colored gelatin balls from dispersing themselves onto these pillows for the extreme, scares most, but for me just brings out my inner aggression and a familiar sound that makes me feel at home. There are millions around the world that have gone to a place similar to this one but only a few of them truly share the same passion and love for it as I do. To me it doesn’t matter if my friends were there or if I had a good day. When I walk to my car and look at the aurora of colors found all over the my body it creates a visual symphony of unequaled magnitude that makes me know I great time no matter what happened. This place I love so much isn’t anywhere special, or has any special people there, or has some deep history with me, it’s just my local paintball field.

barberjohn
09-01-2003, 03:56 PM
hey, thats not bad. i bet your teacher isnt going to have a clue what you are talking about, fluffy air-filled pillows?!:D i think it looks good, concerning the grammar.

MattG
09-01-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by barberjohn
hey, thats not bad. i bet your teacher isnt going to have a clue what you are talking about, fluffy air-filled pillows?!:D i think it looks good, concerning the grammar.

Thanks. Thats kinda the point. THey dont get it till the end. Also if you confuse them how can they give you a bad grade? THey just give you the benifit of the doubt.

speeddemon
09-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by MattG

Thanks. Thats kinda the point. THey dont get it till the end. Also if you confuse them how can they give you a bad grade? THey just give you the benifit of the doubt.

You might laugh and think that, but I have had teachers that have done that.

FreakBaller12
09-01-2003, 04:02 PM
A+:D

-Carnifex-
09-01-2003, 04:43 PM
I hope you aren't in highschool, or this isn't a serious assignment.

MattG
09-01-2003, 04:46 PM
Im in highschool and on a scale from 1-10 on the serious scale i would say about a 6.8 But who cares its school.

MarkM
09-01-2003, 04:48 PM
You asked for flames but I know you meant helpful ones ;)

I only changed the spelling of unequalled...my spell check is set for real english :D so a few more cropped up but I ignored those. I changed the statement about dying with a period as it is a statement (as you had it previously) it kind of ran into the rest of the sentence and I changed the wording around the section where you are talking about ball bounces and a change of word for aurora to plethora as this has the meaning of "many" which I think fits better in the description. Your description of having a good time regardless of what actually happened refered to the past tense so now it is changed to reflect that. I hope this is all ok with you now. I like the writing it was very descriptive although as noted above you haven't a clue to the subject matter until the last line.

My favorite place to go is where I have the most fun and spend lots of my time. It’s where I am the happiest and I would rather be there than anywhere else. If I could choose where I died. It would be there with all my friends and family. The air filled, colorful, many shaped, pillows of fun are where I feel at home. They are ever changing and always comforting. Even at a time of distress and failure those sometime bouncy canvas bags of joy will never trash talk or overshoot. In the beginning they were bright red on one side and vibrant yellow on the other, but now they have almost every color of the rainbow strategically placed on all sides. The sound that is emitted when they reject the brightly colored gelatin balls from dispersing themselves onto these pillows, scares most, but for me just brings out my inner aggression and is a familiar sound that makes me feel at home. There are millions around the world that have gone to a place similar to this one but only a few of them truly share the same passion and love for it as I do. To me it doesn’t matter if my friends were there or if I had a good day. When I walk to my car and look at the plethora of colors to be found all over the my body it creates a visual symphony of an unequalled magnitude that makes me know I had a great time no matter what happened. This place I love so much isn’t anywhere special, or has any special people there, or has some deep history with me, it’s just my local paintball field.

nt2004
09-01-2003, 04:59 PM
canvas bags? i thought it was vulcanized rubber. Say vulcanized rubber because its a big word and people will think you're smart

MarkM
09-01-2003, 05:10 PM
Just re-read it and this line would read in a nicer way if changed as follows.

*original line*

This place I love so much isn’t anywhere special, or has any special people there, or has some deep history with me, it’s just my local paintball field.

*new line*

This place I love so much isn’t anywhere special nor does it have any special people there, or even some deep history with me, it’s just my local paintball field.

Vulcanized I think would be a step too far btw.

I can see that the form you are going for is a sort of poem so to add too technical terms would detract from the flow.

paint magnet
09-01-2003, 05:13 PM
The teacher still won't have a clue what he's talking about :D

Or at least not if (s)he's anything like the ones around here, who's idea of paintball is a bunch of maniacs running around in the woods. You might want to bring a picture of an airball field to illustrate ;)

As for the sound the bunkers make when hit, I'd say its sort of a cross between "fwang" "phwatoooong" and "poonka" depending on how they are inflated, wouldn't you? :p

barberjohn
09-01-2003, 05:28 PM
dude, next time im doing an assignment, im definiately putting it on here:D !!

MattG
09-01-2003, 07:30 PM
HAHA you guys are so funny. And mark is the best thanks man. You definity made it a solid B thanks your the best.

MattG
09-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Oh and by far fwang is the best sound! Thanks!

MattG
09-01-2003, 07:36 PM
I dont know about poem but its soposed to be a "light hearted discription of a place i enjoy going to"

MDethCKR
09-01-2003, 08:31 PM
i did a paper too!its on SP

Smart Parts was a once reputable business located originally out of Pennsylvania. They have since expanded to Nevada. Started by William M. Gardner Jr. and his wife Deborah Gardner, Smart Parts was a small company in a big industry. They eventually became known for quality of their markers, as well as their clothing line, and accessories. At one point I was going to buy one of their markers and start in the SP trend.
Their “flagship” marker is the Impulseã. The Impulseã is an electro-pneumatic paintball gun. For the longest time it was one of the best guns. A few years back when the vision eye came out, it became one of the top three markers (a vision eye is a device that checks to see the ball is fully in the breech before firing the ball). Along with the Impulseã SP released the Shockerã. Although the Shockerã is basically the same design, it lacks the fast firing and overall performance that the Impulseã has. Many cases have been reported about how the Shockerã board needed to be replaced because of reasons unknown to them.
As the Impulseã continued to become recognized, companies started making “their versions of it”. These include the Rat, Nasty, Strange, Ton Ton, and countless others. The Impulseã is the most recreated gun on the market.
As well as their markers, SP created a regulator system for the airflow of their markers. They call this the MaxFloã. It is one of the most impressive, and widely used regs around.
SP’s newest idea is to patent all electronic markers. Here’s the patent…
‘The pneumatically operated projectile launching device is preferably comprised of three principal elements: a body which houses and interconnects all of the pneumatic components and also houses the electrical power source, a grip mounted to the body which includes an electrical switch that activates a launching sequence, and an electrical control unit housed within both the body and the grip which directs flow between the pneumatic components to load, cock and fire the gun. The body preferably contains a plurality of bores in communication with each other including a bore containing and distributing pressurized gas, a bore containing a compressed gas storage chamber and mechanisms for filling the storage chamber with gas and releasing gas from the storage chamber to fire the projectile, and a bore containing mechanisms for loading and launching the projectile. The electrical control unit preferably includes an electrical power source which activates an electrical timing circuit when the electrical switch is closed, and two electrically operated pneumatic flow distribution devices which are sequentially energized by the electrical timing circuit to enable the loading of a projectile for launching and to release compressed gas from the storage chamber to fire the projectile, respectively. Before the initiation of a launching sequence the compressed gas storage chamber is filled with compressed gas while the projectile launching mechanism is disabled. Filling of the compressed gas storage chamber is preferably accomplished automatically by actuation of the compressed gas filling mechanism. When the electrical switch is closed to initiate the launching sequence the projectile is first loaded into the launching mechanism by electrical timing circuit actuation of the first electrically operated pneumatic flow distribution device. The projectile is then fired when the electrical circuit actuates the second electrically operated pneumatic flow distribution device to release gas from the compressed gas storage chamber into the launching mechanism.’(AOG Forum)
This patent was passed in a U.S. court of law. On Sept. 3rd they will begin the lawsuits against all companies that haven’t settled, and will try to shut them down. Rumor is they are demanding 1 million per type of marker and a $75 royalty per gun. So the $1,600 Lasoya Intimidator because of loss of sale, will become a $4,175 marker? Sad but true, but SP will have their $450 Impulses and $600 Shockers.
While we’re discussing paintball patents, have a look at this. Bob Gurnsey could have patented paintball, yes paintball! Tippmann declined to patent the C02 pin valve. Glenn Palmer didn’t patent pneumatic operation. Tom Kaye refuses to patent the regulated nitrogen system (most used air source). Now…SP wants to patent an electronic marker (on off switch, and battery operated). What a joke.
From AOG, “As a patent consultant myself, and can not understand how the patent can be granted, as it will impede technology, which is one of the things that a patent can never do.” Which is exactly what SP is trying to do, surpass technology and use ideas they wish they had come up with.
For all of these reasons I think Mr. Gardner is a smart man (ha Smart Parts, smart man). But, he has gone too far. He tried to do the best for HIS company, not for the SPORT. I wish he would reconsider.

i got an A!

gamarada717
09-01-2003, 09:35 PM
I wrote a peom on paintball once. She had no idea what I was talking about but since she knew I always lived up to my work I got an A on it. Writing is a fun and enjoyable thing for me, I just hate writing page after page. I'd rather type it.

-Carnifex-
09-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Im in highschool and on a scale from 1-10 on the serious scale i would say about a 6.8 But who cares its school.

Good, keep that mentality.

dinger
09-01-2003, 10:24 PM
until you do read the entire thing, one would get the effect that you get relaxed when yellow-colored pillows shoot you with gelatin balls that express your aggression.

hehehe nice! :D dont forget to let us know how you did on it :D

Nick O time
09-01-2003, 10:38 PM
first off lots isnt a word, neither is a lot
use most or much or many depending on the sentance but i would use most in this sentance

When I walk to my car and look at the aurora of colors found all over the my body it creates a visual symphony of unequaled magnitude that makes me know I great time no matter what happened.

When I walk to my car and look at the aurora of colors found all over the my body it creates a visual symphony of unequaled magnitude that lets me understand that I had great time no matter what happened.
Just sounds better but i dunno

elpimpo
09-01-2003, 10:51 PM
wow i know what my next english paper on paintball is going to look like

Nick O time
09-01-2003, 11:09 PM
i had to write a speach last year on a thing and i wrote it on the paintball gun. the speech took the whole 45 minute class period. i was only expecting it to last like 15 minutes or so cuz i never practice my speeches:D .

dinger
09-02-2003, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by Nick O time
first off lots isnt a word, neither is a lot
use most or much or many depending on the sentance but i would use most in this sentance

"a lot" is a 'word' but then again i KNOW that "sentance" isn't a word ;)

darklord
09-02-2003, 11:01 AM
...When I walk to my car and look at the aurora of colors found all over the my body it creates a visual symphony of unequaled magnitude.. Uh, no offense, but this just sounds like you're trying too hard to come off as "smart", it's overly dramatic, IMO. What grade are you in? Man, that is an easy assignment... meh, at least you did your homework.

MattG
09-02-2003, 03:00 PM
haha Thanks guys it is due tommorow and knowing my teacher i will have the grade next week. I will let you know. And about the magnitude plether sentance some guy on pbnation gave it to me and i thought it funny so i put it in there. And im in 10th grade!