PDA

View Full Version : computer smart people please read

QUINCYMASSGUY
09-01-2003, 11:03 PM
OK folks, can someone please tell me how I can fix my computer if every time I select an item from the desktop or anything after startup and I get the message "Explorer has caused an error in BROWSEUI.DLL Explorer will now close" it's windows 98 ME and causing me to have to use my company computer here at home and making my normal computer a very effective paperweight. Thanks alot to whoever might be able to help me out.

Jack_Dubious
09-01-2003, 11:31 PM
try this...not sure if its exactly your problem tho..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;289799

JDub

jpdgas
09-02-2003, 12:38 AM
If you can, get rid of 98ME, its one of the most unstable operating systems. even 98 second edition is better, but xp is so far the "best" if you can afford it.

You can also try to update the os on windows update, or search for the dll dile of that name (BROWSEUI.DLL)
I know there are sites out there that you can download dll files from, but i dont remember which ones at the moment, just do a search. This is all assuming you can get online with that machine. can you?

sps16
09-02-2003, 12:57 AM
so anytime click on an icon it gives you and error and closes? Is that true for anytime you run something?

frustrated
09-04-2003, 12:45 AM
Well i'm not gonna get into it much because it's totally off subject, but windows 2000 pro kicks the **** outta xp. But back to the point, i am also one of those me users, because i don't own the computer and have no say in the operating system, and when i have problems like this, which happens quite often might i add, what i've found works is searching for that dll file on your computer, that is if it will let you and seeing if it is stored in more than one location. if there is more than one copy of it on your computer, usually one of them hasn't been corrupted and you can use it to replace the one causing the problem. now that is to say that the error message at all tells you where that dll is located. if not, well that's what i do, but i'm all for what everybody else said about a new operating system. xp pro or 2000 pro are good, but the home version of xp is an unstable error monster.

frustrated
09-04-2003, 12:47 AM
i just reallized how long i just typed was, so a summary is, if you can't update try replacing the dll with an uncorrupted one. sometimes they can be found online or on other parts of your computer. sorry for the babbling before

jpdgas
09-04-2003, 01:10 AM
I agree frustrated, 2000pro is more stable than xp home, but xp pro is good (i cant way any os out there is really great, any program over $100 should be flawless imo)

anyways, i was just wondering if you had an update on the problem. i have an interest because some of the pc's on my wan have ME unfortunatly and i want to see if these tips helped resolve the prob

speeddemon
09-04-2003, 09:17 AM
Or you can just get Linux, and (practically) never have to worry about crashing again. All of the Windows are unstable, I can't even get Unreal tournament to run on XP, but I can get it to run fine with Linux. Plus everything is free (always a really good thing).

QUINCYMASSGUY
09-04-2003, 11:41 AM
It won't let me open ANYthing when it loads up to the desktop so I can't even search for files, and it is an oldschool ghetto comp I use for emailing because I have a work laptop too. Oh well, I will look at Linux and probably have to install from scratch. Thanks for the help everybody, I do appreciate it and you better believe I'm avoiding this OS from now on.

sps16
09-04-2003, 11:49 AM
yea 98 se is the worest os, so get rid of it!