PDA

View Full Version : Possible jobs for History stuff

Will Wood
09-02-2003, 08:15 PM
(That time.. senior year.. to think)
I'm def. getting a Computer related major but..

Well always keeping my options open.. I really like History.. I've taken 3 history courses in my past 3 years, one being optional, and 2 this year, both optional.

Just wondered if anyone here was into history and what possible jobs could lead with a good knowledge of it.

Lopy-slopy
09-03-2003, 12:06 AM
work in a museam(sp). Write a book. Teach hystory?

Restola
09-03-2003, 02:48 AM
A minor in whatever kind of history you enjoy probably won't add that much time onto a degree. If you know you are getting a computer-science related degree, research the available options for history at the university you want to attend.

You can always swap it around during your freshman or sophmore year with little to no change in graduation date (like anyone graduates on time anyways).

graycie
09-03-2003, 08:19 AM
not to be a downer, but history jobs aren't in abundance. if you were to pursue a history related job, i think you would need more than 3 courses to be qualified. one of my brothers friends was a history major, and the last i heard he was a pursuing a teaching degree for it but that was years ago. other history related jobs like the other guys have said is working in a park service, museum, preservation society, or be like TK and dig up stuff.

eric
09-03-2003, 05:07 PM
1.History Teacher
2.Poor

Thats prolly about it.

MiniMag84
09-03-2003, 06:00 PM
Check out Humanities, anthropology, archeology, etc...

Oh, and don't listen to eric. :rolleyes:

Collegeboy
09-03-2003, 06:11 PM
As a history major there are not many fields in direct relation to history in which you can work. But the History degree is and has always been a gateway to Law School, Grad school, Diplomacy, anything political or international etc............

sonoronos
09-03-2003, 06:15 PM
The real jobs are in academia. Cases in point. My friend Mike graduated from Yale in History, and now studies American History (they're called Americanists.) My friend Neil attended Northwestern University and graduated in three years with a degree in History, and now studies European history, after having earned the privelege to research at Oxford for a year. My friend Jonathon graduated with a degree in History from a small regional Christian university and now studies under American Religious History, having earned the privelege to research at the libraries of Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and the national archives at Washington DC.

I was helping these guys through prayer and encouragement when they were studying for their qualifier exams - here at Notre Dame, that means reading 300+ books on your subject before the end of your third year. These people all vary in mental ability, but honestly, they have a real love for the subject, and are willing to put in the hours. They also believe that they have something important to say in the field that they are studying. It takes balls to be a student in an environment where egos are so high (you think paintballers have egos...try world-class faculty that have all graduated magna *** laude from ivy league schools.)

The evaluation and selection process is intimidating, but to the victors go the spoils - all of these guys will probably end up getting teaching jobs at universities and making good money doing what they want to do....read and write about history.

Another thing, though, if you want make it in academia, is that you have to be severely opinionated and creative about your opinions. The meek will certainly not succeed in history, unless they want to be flipping burgers.

MiniMag84
09-03-2003, 07:50 PM
Top class 1st post.

Welcome to AO. :)

ZAust
09-03-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by MiniMag84
Top class 1st post.

Welcome to AO. :)

bully for you. its better than most of the first posts here. "can i run co2 on my mag?"

slateman
09-04-2003, 08:50 AM
I'm a history major. I planning on joining the military (filling out my application for the Marine Corps today:D ) Its true that there isn't a whole lot that uses a history degree, but a degree is a degree.

BTW: Can you run a mag on CO2?:confused:

:D

MiniMag84
09-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by ZAust

bully for you. its better than most of the first posts here. "can i run co2 on my mag?"

bully for you?

1stdeadeye
09-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Well you could be a:

Telemarketer
Burden on Society
Starbase CGI
Collegeboy
someone who argues "true" history with Collegeboy for hours on end until you bang your head against the wall in frustration!

;) :p

Miscue
09-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye
Well you could be a:

Telemarketer
Burden on Society
Starbase CGI
Collegeboy
someone who argues "true" history with Collegeboy for hours on end until you bang your head against the wall in frustration!

*chuckle* :D

Collegeboy
09-04-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by 1stdeadeye
Well you could be a:

Telemarketer
Burden on Society
Starbase CGI
Collegeboy

I can't help it if people are not as intelligent as I am. ;) :p ;)

1stdeadeye
09-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Collegeboy

I can't help it if people are not as intelligent as I am. ;) :p ;)

No mas por favor!!!

I have so many lumps on my head now that I look like a golfball! Please I can't take anymore!!!!

sps16
09-04-2003, 11:39 PM
you could be a bookworm

xrancid_milkx
09-05-2003, 01:01 AM
Have you ever considered Economics?

There are tons of jobs within that area. Good paying ones too :D