PDA

View Full Version : Phantoms SUCK?

bornl33t
09-02-2003, 08:21 PM
I was just down at my local store shooting the breeze and man he was raggin on the phantom like it was a piece of plastic brass eagle stuff. said the pumps are was hard to slide, the tracer is supposedly more accurate, and it wouldn't stand a chance against a semi auto gun on a woods/speedball course. Someone care to defend the "outdated" phantom?

50 cal
09-02-2003, 08:25 PM
I have two of them and am thinking of getting a Stock Class gun. I love the Phantom, death ray accuracy and gas efficient. It just needs tinkering with to use HPA if you've been using CO2.

I get laughed at at games when I break out my Phantom. I usually pick out the Angel shooters to pick on first.:D

BlackVCG
09-02-2003, 08:36 PM
This is another biased person that would say the same thing about Mags in a Mag vs. Cocker debate, for example.

The Phantom is one of the most well made and smoothest shooting PRODUCTION level pumps. The Carter pumps will put a Phantom in its place, but they're custom built on a per-order basis and will set you back over three times the cost of a Phantom.

The WGP Sniper has a bit smoother of a pump, but overall the Phantom is a much better built gun. It really depends on what you're looking for, but the Phantom is over all a very good pump gun.

Maui PFB
09-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Have the owner come over to Hawaii and we will show him a few things about SUCKY Phantoms (HEHE). True it is not a Carter or Palmer, but after some time and play it is one sweet shooting gun. I have had mine since 89 and it will take on anyone at anytime Woodball or Speed Ball, it likes them all.

Out of the box it does need a little breakin in but what gun doesnt???

But alas its not the gun RIGHT!!!! 5 PROs with Stingrays usually beat any 5 newbies with ANGELS or Such!!!

Livin the Aloha

Maui PFB

adam shannon
09-03-2003, 12:28 AM
i posted on this earlier but there was a guy at the NJ NPPL super 7 who ran a pump against any and all comers. one game he had 4 kills and the next 6...all against semis like timmy's and matrixes, and in head to head snap offs...not back shooting and sniping. first of all its the layer not the marker, secondly i guess that phantom went against some semis and won (not that saying one gun can beat another is even a valid arguement).

xrancid_milkx
09-03-2003, 01:10 AM
I have one thing to say about the man who said that....

*smack*

:mad:

adam shannon
09-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by xrancid_milkx
I have one thing to say about the man who said that....

*smack*

:mad:

which is it...on smack, talking smack, or should be smacked?

xrancid_milkx
09-03-2003, 01:18 AM
All of the above :rolleyes:

bornl33t
09-03-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by BlackVCG
This is another biased person that would say the same thing about Mags in a Mag vs. Cocker debate, for example.

The Phantom is one of the most well made and smoothest shooting PRODUCTION level pumps. The Carter pumps will put a Phantom in its place, but they're custom built on a per-order basis and will set you back over three times the cost of a Phantom.

The WGP Sniper has a bit smoother of a pump, but overall the Phantom is a much better built gun. It really depends on what you're looking for, but the Phantom is over all a very good pump gun.

I was hoping to see one person post in here... and I got it!! thanks Black... thanks to everyone else too!

magking1971
09-03-2003, 07:15 AM
The only time Phantoms suck is when they are on the other team.:p

Albinonewt
09-03-2003, 07:52 AM
Yeah, by and large which marker to use is a personal preference. If someone's telling you your marker stinks and you like it then whatever they're saying should just bounce right off you.

At my field a bunch of guys make fun of me for being the only mag player in the group. Too bad I give as good (if not better) then I get.

vdo_game_junkie
09-03-2003, 12:26 PM
If that person had even tried the phantom, they wouldn't have made a statement like that. I've been playing with my phantom for over ten years and it still works like a champ. I've tried the sl68, tracer, maverick, p68 and it's variants and have still gone back to my phantom. It is a great marker right out of the box.

Fred
09-03-2003, 01:19 PM
grr...

I'll chalk it up to gross ignorance and trying to sell what he has on the wall...

sniper1rfa
09-03-2003, 02:45 PM
well, its true, out of the box, the phantom doesnt have a very good pump stroke.
actually, it has a pretty crappy one...

BUT, it is an AWESOME marker. 40 shots on a 12G stock, doesnt break down... ever... and it shoots well. I like mine.

Webmaster
09-03-2003, 03:46 PM
If by "suck" you mean "best commercially produced pump on the market today" - then YES!

bornl33t
09-03-2003, 03:59 PM
well see hers's the deal, I haven't owned a marker all summer. Other financial obligations. But I wanted to check in and see what's all going on at the shop. I wasn't wanting to buy anything. But I brought up the fact I was shoping for a used phantom and he really layed into it. ALl my research I've done pointed to the fact taht the phantom is actually a very descent marker. That's why I was really surprised to see someone dis it that bad. He wasn't trying to sell me anything. But he did ask me if I'd buy it from him if he's order one. well yes/no. If he can get one at a conpeditive price I might consider it, but I am really strapped for $$ and would perfer to get one used, which isn't happening at all right now. Guess no one wants to sell theirs :D So that's why I'm here I wanted some opinions from ppl who have actually used/owned one.

hAppy
09-03-2003, 05:32 PM
phantoms are my favorite pumps

breg
09-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Well, here is my moneky wrench in the works for this one.

I've been playing for a little over a year now, and after having seen it just about all, the marker that really caught my eye was an old WGP sniper. The things was old enough to not have detents, but I'm not sure as to where that would place it in the time line of WGP products. I've shot quite a few markers at the field, and all in all that old Sniper was probably my favorite.

I'll agree that unless you are good, a pump might place you at a disadvantage in a semi game. But, then again, those pumpers are the first guys I try to take out.

When I see a pump on a field, to me it mean one of two things:

A. The guy is going to get shot to hell and back.

B. The guy is going to shoot everyone else to hell and back. :D

People making fun of pumps is like someone who owns a brand new car making fun of a Model T owner because his car isn't as fast. But, they forget that the Model T is a piece of automotive history and the owner probably has a little better understanding of cars and where the automotive field came from. The same might be said for Pump/Stock owners/users.

Laters,
Breg

bunkerhugger
09-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Only when they're not alcohol powered!

http://www.southwestvoodoo.com/Resources/Photos/Ben/dsc00044.jpg

xrancid_milkx
09-04-2003, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by bunkerhugger
Only when they're not alcohol powered!

http://www.southwestvoodoo.com/Resources/Photos/Ben/dsc00044.jpg

God **** I want a Six Pak o so bad. But I have yet to see any on sale PERIOD! :mad: :(

Meph
09-04-2003, 12:15 AM
Charlie Holton (Happy Holton) has one for sale. Still in mint box with the shrink wrap on it even still! Not even opened. I think he's asking 250 for it.

bornl33t
09-04-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by Meph
Charlie Holton (Happy Holton) has one for sale. Still in mint box with the shrink wrap on it even still! Not even opened. I think he's asking 250 for it.

that's only 10$ cheaper then they are new, unless it's anoed something other then black or silver... how do I get a hold of him?

Liger Zero
09-04-2003, 05:13 AM
Some times on Sundays Phantoms do suck but so do Mondays so use it on Friday or Saturday!!
Liger
Wee Wee Loves You!!!

stondroopy
09-05-2003, 03:43 AM
i saw on of those six pack things on ebay,it was under accesories or misc.i typed in automag and there it was:)

Fred
09-05-2003, 09:47 AM
IIRC, if I'm thinking of the right guy, Happy sold that at Shatnerball... so its off the market...

mm... phantom with 6pak... (where's the drooling smiley?)

I will concur though, the phantom pump stroke from the factory is less than nice, but put 500 rounds through it, and you're butter smooth!

---Fred

Recon by Fire
09-05-2003, 10:10 AM
Sounds like this guy is just angry because he has a Tracer rather than a Phantom :) Was his nest statement that his 21" sniper barrel is the most accurate thing out there? LOL

I use my Phantom VSC while playing on airball, hyperball, etc... It's fun and performs great no matter what. I have finished many games when I was the last player in and carrying my Phantom :) You know you really got owned when an old guy with a stock class marker bunkers you!

When I first started playing a buddy of mine was about a 12 year veteran, his comment to me about pumps was: "I am more afraid of the guy who walks on with a pump than any semi or electro".

Hoplon
09-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Removing the spring on the pump arm smooths out the stroke a bit. Replacing the internal springs using a madman/nelson kit helps too. My pump stroke requires about half the force of a stock, broken in phantom and it's smoother. $6 well spent imo.

50 cal
09-05-2003, 04:31 PM
Sent you a PM about a 6 Pak xrancid_milkx

Mr.Minus
09-05-2003, 07:12 PM
well i got my first phantom used and frankly, i was a little disappointed, my friend bought one about the same time as me and the triggers felt very different, so the previous owner's must have done different trigger work. that just made me a little skeptical and i wanted to feel a new, factory one so i could break it in and make the trigger feel the way i wanted it to.
right now i am saving for a new one (and your shop owner can get very good dealer prices that he might pass on a little to you), i know many places online to buy a new vsc .45 phantom for 250 while on the cci website its 288

Recon by Fire
09-05-2003, 07:17 PM
Later on, I am going to get BradAGD to mod a trigger frame to semi :)

Liger Zero
09-06-2003, 06:27 AM
I still think Friday and Satruday are the best days to use a phantom.
Liger
Wee Wee Loves You!!!