PDA

View Full Version : Mating a palmer reg to mag valve? (For Pistol-mag)

Vida
09-04-2003, 04:02 AM
Ok... I'm wondering if the reg back of an AIR valve could be replaced with a palmer stabilizer? I'm putting together a pistol mag for night time play in scenario games. See this post:
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97754

Anyways, I am planning on running it off of 12 grams with a 12 gram quickchanger and ASA mounted off the front of the body rail slung under the barrel, and fed from a new horizontal feed tube welded to the body in place of the power feed. Anywys, since I want the whole thing to be easily holsterable, the 12 gram changer needs to be mounted this way, but this makes for problems with liquid CO2 going into the valve. Could a Palmer stabilizer straight up replace the reg back on the AIR valve? (I know Palmer's website sugests mounting a stabilizer sidesaddle to the reg... not interested in that setup tho... makes it harder to holster) I realize that the palmer would likely have to have new threads made to fit the valve... Assuming that, would it work? Thoughts/Ideas/Advice appreciated.
Thanks.

cledford
09-04-2003, 12:19 PM
I think it can. I remember back in the day that some people would gut the reg on the AIR valve and run a sideline Stab into the gun (via inlet on back half of AIR) This, in effect, turned the gas metering/control over to the stab, sine the AIR was hollow.

Later I think Punisher (this was back in say '97) produced an AIR vlave "back" that was totally hollow for the same thing - bypassing the AIR reg part and allowing the stab to run the show. The justification for the new back was more flow since it was full open.

Palmer's still sells a side tapped Stab for mag use. Most people never throught to gut their AIR and in effect were double regging their guns.

Hope this helps,

-Calvin

FooTemps
09-15-2003, 02:51 AM
there were a couple people who actually took off the back half of the reg and put a plug on it. They just took out whatever else was unecessary from the front and they ran it off the reg on the asa. Maybe you could retap the threads so you could screw a palmer reg onto it

aut911
09-16-2003, 09:31 AM
you know, you could mount an asa on the rail of a classic.

i think a dovetail will fit on it. so that would solve the mounting issues for a quick changer. other than that, you could buy a powerfeed adapter, cut down your feed tube to as short as it can be and slap a spring fed 10 round tube on there. it would work pretty good i bet.

aut

FooTemps
09-16-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by aut911
you know, you could mount an asa on the rail of a classic.

i think a dovetail will fit on it. so that would solve the mounting issues for a quick changer. other than that, you could buy a powerfeed adapter, cut down your feed tube to as short as it can be and slap a spring fed 10 round tube on there. it would work pretty good i bet.

aut

That would work well too.