PDA

View Full Version : Are our improvments...really improvments?

Will Wood
09-07-2003, 02:12 PM
Just one of those random thoughts that doesn't really much matter.. but just something to ponder on for a moment:

We call our selves advanced. In some ways yes...but our our advancements really improvments?

I mean.. Like Anceint stuff. Pyramids and all those great scupltures and momuments.. Some of that stuff would be a tough feat now. Just imagine doing it without our technology.

And a bunch of other stuff ... Just think about it. Our technology is just making us lazy unskilled bums :)

Yea, I'm bored. I'm trying to write some sentances now.
(Write a sentence with 3 nouns, a pronoun, a verb, 3 articles, an adjective, a conjuction, a preposition, and a verb, nothing more or less. Yea, I have like 15 more problems just like that. Annoying lol)

Python14
09-07-2003, 02:25 PM
We also live in a time where we live to be 80 and on, can visit the moon, see stars millions of billions of miles away up close. We can solve math problems that the egyptians never even concieved of. We have negative numbers, unlike the Greeks. Scientists can create chemicals to save us millions of dollars in fuel economy. We are amazing people and definitely a step up from the past.

Zumina
09-07-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Will Wood
I mean.. Like Anceint stuff. Pyramids and all those great scupltures and momuments.. Some of that stuff would be a tough feat now. Just imagine doing it without our technology.

It'd only be a feat because we have a greater value for human life and the expense of the necessary labor is incomprehensible. You'd be surprised what you can do with 2 million hebrew slaves ;)

sharpshooter1286
09-07-2003, 02:41 PM
yea they are, they are improving our life i for one would rather live during this time than back in acient egypt

Will Wood
09-07-2003, 02:54 PM
Ok. Maybe your right. But I think I was aiming at is how alot of non-technological things surpass technology.

Brak
09-07-2003, 06:53 PM
you can get 1200 calories in one hamburger for 1 dollar... now THATS an improvement!

Fanatic
09-07-2003, 08:55 PM
would you rather live in those ages without modern medicine
a labotomy for the common headache?
the term or act of "bleeding" for common colds and sickness
to die at age 40 a common occurance...

hmmmm???
and yeah...you are bored

aaron_mag
09-07-2003, 09:59 PM
We definetely have more knowledge than the greeks and the egyptians but it should also be remembered that we built off of their knowledge....

Blonde Bomber
09-07-2003, 11:01 PM
I hate the time we live in. With technology comes the burden of having to learn how to use it. Id rather live a basic life and die at 40.

-Carnifex-
09-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Zumina

It'd only be a feat because we have a greater value for human life and the expense of the necessary labor is incomprehensible. You'd be surprised what you can do with 2 million hebrew slaves ;)

Actually, when it wasn't flooding season a lot of the Egyptians worked on public structures, it was required. Not to say that there were no slaves.

Originally posted by Fanatic
would you rather live in those ages without modern medicine
a labotomy for the common headache?
the term or act of "bleeding" for common colds and sickness
to die at age 40 a common occurance...

hmmmm???
and yeah...you are bored

Honestly, I'd rather not live past 45.

FactsOfLife
09-07-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Zumina

and don't forget the massive massive whips...

-bonus points for the person(s) who can tell me where that line originated...

hint: british comedy show

gamarada717
09-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Monty Python? That's the only british comedy show I can think of, besides Whose Line.

FactsOfLife
09-09-2003, 09:39 PM
nope not MP, newer than that by about 20 years

Python14
09-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Whose line is it anyway?

gam-e
09-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by -Carnifex-
[B]

Actually, when it wasn't flooding season a lot of the Egyptians worked on public structures, it was required. Not to say that there were no slaves.[B]

beat me to it. yes the majority of people who worked on the pyramids were egyptians themselves, and the slaves that worked there were well fed. they had many many bakeries where the made bread for all the workers to eat after a hard days work. slaves weren't treated as bad as some people think. i mean come on when it gets bad enough the slaves are going to revolt, and the egyptians didn't want that. they wanted cheap labor, and to ensure that it was good labor they treated them fairly well considering their circumstances.

Dion

Albinonewt
09-10-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by gam-e

beat me to it. yes the majority of people who worked on the pyramids were egyptians themselves, and the slaves that worked there were well fed. they had many many bakeries where the made bread for all the workers to eat after a hard days work. slaves weren't treated as bad as some people think. i mean come on when it gets bad enough the slaves are going to revolt, and the egyptians didn't want that. they wanted cheap labor, and to ensure that it was good labor they treated them fairly well considering their circumstances.

Dion

But the point remains that the entire population of delaware was working on them.

And if Delaware decided to use modern construction to build something right now I'm sure it would be impressive.

beam
09-10-2003, 09:17 AM
This may be a side track to the discussion, but then again, maybe not.

Read this for some interesting thoughts on what technology is doing to our society: Manifesto (http://www.soci.niu.edu/~critcrim/uni/uni.txt)

That is the Unabomber's manifesto. I remember reading it in college when it was published in two newspapers...New York Times and Washington Post I believe.

I DO NOT condone or endorse what Ted K. did, but I do think some of his thoughts on where we are heading are interesting.

I wrote a paper on the ever-widening gap between the techno-elite and the techno-peasant classes of people. What advantages do I have over someone who is ignorant of technology? The questions are endless.

The JOE
09-10-2003, 10:34 PM
"and don't forget the massive massive whips..."

That, my (newly found) good friend, is from Red Dwarf.

Wasn't it something like "They had massive whips, Rimmer. Massive massive whips."?

(Sorry for being OT but man RD is awesome)