PDA

View Full Version : Cocker guys, a sear question...

Blennidae
09-07-2003, 04:54 PM
Does it matter which side you tap out the sear pin to remove the sear?

Also, if there is any wear on the "point" of the sear that catches the lug, how would that effect how smooth the trigger pull feels.

This is with a slider frame.

Thanks.

Angry Man
09-07-2003, 06:36 PM
It doesn't really matter on most frames I've used, but on the stock frames sometimes the sear pin is in so strong the sear will crack before the pin will come out (I'm not kidding, this happened to me).

A rounded sear tip might make the pull nominally smoother (not really noticeable), but the pull would be longer, far less reliable, and there would be more of the pull towards the front where the pull is harder (the pull gets lighter once the sear is released). So it's not a good idea to sand this part of the sear down, but if it's warn a little it's not a big issue by any means if it's still working fine.

AzrealDarkmoonZ
09-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Shouldn't matter with the frame I have looked at but just make sure there is no set screw holding them in from the top. I actually prefer the AKA sear , seem to have the "best" luck with it.

Az

Nobody077
09-07-2003, 10:36 PM
Both of my frames the sear pin is locked in place with a set-screw, after you loosen the set-screw the pin will tap out either side.
As for the sear, if its rounded it may make it a little harder to time your gun, but if its not too warn it should be ok.

kenndogg
09-08-2003, 03:30 AM
on the ones I worked on it did matter. If I tried pushing it out the wrong side it won't budge. If I remembered correctly I punched it on the right side and the pin would fall out to the left side of the frame. Look at it as if you were holding the frame as you would normally.