PDA

View Full Version : ULT and the steel pin..

rkjunior303
09-08-2003, 08:28 PM
I was thinking.. With the size of the steel pin in the ULT and the ease it could possibly bend, what if it was constructed out of Carbon fiber? Wouldn't this provide enough resistance if it were bent a little it would return to its shape - but yet, be strong enough not to snap?

just a tought..I'm not even sure if you could make something that small out of carbon fiber..

speeddemon
09-08-2003, 08:46 PM
I think titanium would be better. And since its so small, it couldn't cost too much more.

afrankart
09-08-2003, 08:49 PM
Just some thoughts: if carbon fiber could infact bend and then spring back, then it is probably not near rigid enough for this application. Plus, I don't think I have heard of anyone bending theirs, and you would have to be blatantly rough with it to get it to bend. Tom also said if you do bend yours, it can be fixed if you kow what you are doing.

BobTheCow
09-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by afrankart
Tom also said if you do bend yours, it can be fixed if you kow what you are doing.
In other words, a pro shop could do it. :p

rkjunior303
09-08-2003, 09:48 PM
or a big hammer ;)

AGD
09-08-2003, 11:26 PM
As far as I know we have not had a single one come back bent. Just dont be stupid and they should be fine. Ti is not a good choice, it bends easier than steel.

AGD

rkjunior303
09-08-2003, 11:51 PM
That's good to know... Great to hear directly from the source! I am pretty unfamiliar with carbon fiber aside from the fact that I know it's pretty strong so I wasn't actually sure.. Just one of those 'lightbulb' moments while sitting at my desk during the middle of work, today :) Thanks for the insight, Tom!

magmonkey
09-09-2003, 04:14 PM
there is alot of different ways to measure strength, yes infact Ti is a strong material but it is not and end all be all material it is not really all that wear resistant