PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycling questions

Skreemer
09-10-2003, 03:51 PM
I know there are quite a few motorcyclists here and I was looking for some opinions. I'm new to motorcycles and though I've wanted one for years I haven't had the oppurtunity to get one. Well now I have my chance.

A: I'm looking at getting a bike... I like "standard" and crotch rocket styled bikes, for some reason I could never get comfortable on a "cruiser". The thought of buying a 600 rice rocket appeals to me like you wouldn't believe but I know they are way beyond my riding ability (which is 0). Do you have any suggestions for something else? For example I've been looking at the Ninja 250r and 500r from Kawasaki, daily drivers with the "race" look and appeal and comparitively smaller motors and lighter weight. I've also taken a great liking to the new FZ6 form yamaha, a "naked" version of the R6(not a likely candidate), and the Suzuki SV650. Should I be looking at something else? I want something new if I could(I hate buying other peoples problems), looking at bikes out there that are used from te mid-80's and up still going in the 2K - 3K price range when I can buy the 500r for around 4K. Any suggestions or tips?

B: Riding courses has been a definite thought as well. Illinois sponsors a rider course for free that at the time of completetion you don't need to take the DMV test to get the "M" on your liscense. Has anyone been through similar courses such as the MFC or the like? Would you reccomend one over the other? Reccomend not taking the course at all and learn from a "seasoned rider"?

any other tips/advice/anecdotes are greatly appreciated.

1stdeadeye
09-10-2003, 04:26 PM
TAKE THE COURSE!!

Also, when shopping for a bike make sure to check insurance rates. That crotch rocket might be affordable, but the insurance may not. The naked bikes may be a bit cheaper here.

Have fun!!

Spleen
09-10-2003, 07:54 PM
i know it might be a little outta the price range, but a honda goldwing, man.... my dad has one and its easy as hell to ride. i mostly ride my suzuki 650dr but one day i jumped on the goldwing and took off for a ride, and let me tell you... its seriously one of the most comfortable (sp) bikes ive ever ridden. although im currently building a mini chopper which is goona be sweet :). (5 horse briggs modded up the *** *it was built for my dads cart cause he used to race carts.* itll top out at around 75mph but it took our vette off the line when it was on the cart. ill post some pics when its done if you wanna buy it. 500 bucks *engine has well over a grand in it*