PDA

View Full Version : Dick Clark and Paintball

Scooter/Cootie
09-11-2003, 11:25 AM
I found this article while surfing through cnn.com. Check it out at http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/09/11/showbuzz/index.html#3

"LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Dick Clark is looking to bring the sport of paintball to television.

Dick Clark Prods. has acquired the broadcast rights to Professional League Paintball, the first organized professional league in paintball, consisting of eight teams from such major cities as New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.

Additionally, Dick Clark Prods. is developing a celebrity paintball-themed reality show. Both projects are expected to be taken to the networks shortly.

"We are pleased to be at the forefront in producing what has become the fastest-growing leisure sport activity in the world," Clark said. "We look forward to taking the tiger by the tail and moving this marketing phenomenon to the next level -- television."

PLP, currently in its first season, features five-player teams that compete against each other by moving a flag toward the opponent's goal and eliminating players from the opposite team by marking them with paint."

shartley
09-11-2003, 11:29 AM
Yes, I heard about that too…

With Dick Clark I am sure it will be quite alright…. It is about time.

Albinonewt
09-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Very cool.

Dick Clark probably a slightly more respectable figure then the other celebrities that have done paintball stuff in the last year (Anna Nicole and Gary Busey)

Evil Bob
09-11-2003, 11:44 AM
I like the fact that DCP considers paintball a "leisure sport" instead of the "extreme sport" that is it normally portrayed as.

We've taken yet another step closer to mainstreaming.

-Evil Bob

-=Squid=-
09-11-2003, 06:22 PM
I feel the opposite towards the "leisure sport" comment. Im not so sure how well this is going to look. I kinda wish it wouldnt hit TV by a TV producer, and wish it could be done by somebody who is a part of the sport...Im sure they will have people supervise, but still...im skeptical.

morph228
09-11-2003, 06:49 PM
...I guess XBALL wont be leading the way then. They were afterall the ones trying to be the first on TV

Ov3rmind
09-11-2003, 06:49 PM
Broadcasted tournaments, I'm so excited I could pee my pants right now. However, I'm a tad skeptical on the "celebrity paintball-themed reality show". Oh well, you know it'll do far better than the actual tournaments on TV will.

manike
09-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by morph228
...I guess XBALL wont be leading the way then. They were afterall the ones trying to be the first on TV

The PLP is the NXL under another name which IS X-ball...

What do they mean by "celebrity paintball-themed reality show" do you have that sort of thing elsewhere already?

1stdeadeye
09-11-2003, 06:55 PM
I guess we can look forward to Dick Clark's Paintballin' New Year's Eve now?

Camera pans as DC sprays the crowd with Diablo Legion Glow In the Dark Paint to ring in the new year!:D

m-98
09-11-2003, 06:57 PM

I believe that Clark bought XBall and changed the name to PLP because the name XBall is similar to the XFL.

Edit: looks like someone beat me.

Tyger
09-11-2003, 07:14 PM

Well, no they weren't.... But that tends to make people upset when you bring it up...

-Tyger

ntn4502
09-11-2003, 07:17 PM
HELL YEAH!!!!!! bout time:)

Quickling
09-11-2003, 07:24 PM
*sign* I miss the days of a bunch of guys dressed in crappy old clothes or camo, banding together in comradery and playing in the woods with pumps.

Gone are those guys now... replaced by 15yrs with moms budget wielding electros... *sign*

of course I would still watch it if was on.. but I think reality TV shows are an insult to the human mind.

*Quickling wanders off, head done.. mutter something about hiding in Popper, Latour, and Heiddeger*

-=Squid=-
09-11-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Quickling
Gone are those guys now... replaced by 15yrs with moms budget wielding electros... *sign*

:rolleyes:

Marek
09-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Quickling
*sign* I miss the days of a bunch of guys dressed in crappy old clothes or camo, banding together in comradery and playing in the woods with pumps.

of course I would still watch it if was on.. but I think reality TV shows are an insult to the human mind.

*Quickling wanders off, head done.. mutter something about hiding in Popper, Latour, and Heiddeger*

Don't you mean sigh? Anyway, I'm not a big fan of reality tv, but it brings the ratings in. Oh well.

manike
09-12-2003, 02:26 AM
I think now maybe the chat room filters should be modified to allow us to discuss this? ;)

Every time someone mentioned Dick Clark they got booted out... :D

Will someone please tell me what they mean by 'reality tv'?

FooTemps
09-12-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by manike
I think now maybe the chat room filters should be modified to allow us to discuss this? ;)

Will someone please tell me what they mean by 'reality tv'?

big brother style manike... if i remember correctly there is a european big brother show right?

they'd probably take celebs and put them into a tourney after some training. They'd follow the progress and we get to watch them lose humiliatingly.

manike
09-12-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by FooTemps
big brother style manike... if i remember correctly there is a european big brother show right?

they'd probably take celebs and put them into a tourney after some training. They'd follow the progress and we get to watch them lose humiliatingly.

Ah gotya!

I actually took part in something just like that for a UK Satellite channel.

They took one of their presenters, put him into a team for the biggest event in the UK (of which I was one of the players), and watched how we progressed through the event.

It actually worked out quite well. It picked up the excitement of the event and the team spirit.

I even had people recognising me from being in it, and I got to wear gun camera's and all sorts of fun stuff :)

I don't think that's too bad an idea, it's one way to get across what it feels like to be a player to those that haven't played...

Quickling
09-12-2003, 06:56 AM
hahahahaha yeah I ment *sigh* oh man.. what a stupid mistake, and then to make it twice....seesh. :)

billmi
09-12-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by m-98

I believe that Clark bought XBall and changed the name to PLP because the name XBall is similar to the XFL.

Not exactly.

The NXL (the X Ball league made up of 8 pro teams - LA Ironmen, Baltimore Trauma, NYX, Oakland Assasins, Chicago Aftershock, Philly Americans, Miami Effect, Detroit Thunder) entered into an agreement with Dick Clark Productions.

Ownership of the NXL, the NXL teams and of X Ball has not changed.

Under the agreement, DCP is designing and presenting to networks, a packaged plan for a television series of the NXL competitions.

Because the general public has no clue what NXL is, or X Ball, and consumers who watch advertising in TV shows don't go to stores to buy "X Ball," the NXL is going to go under the name PLP - Professional League Paintball. The general public has heard of paintball, and people buy paintball products. There will likely be some modifications to the X Ball format, under the guidance of DCP to make it even more television friendly, but the PLP competition shows are planned to basically be X Ball, though the name X Ball will probably not be heard or seen in the show.

DCP is also working on the paintball celebrity reality show. That's a separate deal from th NXL/PLP show.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills

Jeffy-CanCon
09-12-2003, 09:46 AM
As always, Bill, you are a fountain of accurate information.:)

morph228
09-12-2003, 10:57 AM
thanks for educating me in the workings of NXL i haven't been paying attention to it as of late ;)

cheers

Tom Sparkman
09-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by manike

Maybe a little misdirection, ala "Richard Cranium"

Tom ;)