PDA

View Full Version : A different take on making a ULT trigger

Lohman446
09-12-2003, 07:20 PM
Ok... this may be way out there, and the more technical of you may tell me Im nuts.. thats fine, Im just curious.

Why can't we use a gear driven trigger - pull trigger, gear reduction or increase in the handle mechanism, trip on-off pin, pressure of the X valve pushes back. Would this not allow an insanely short and light trigger pull?

..........On/Off assembly
...............R
...............O
...............D
..............Gear
Trigger Rod...Gear

Ok, so I can't draw, but get the idea (I had to use the .... to align)?

speeddemon
09-12-2003, 07:31 PM
Well, it would basically either make it short and hard, or long and soft. It is impossible to make it soft and short mechanically. The work has to be done one way or the other.

Lohman446
09-12-2003, 07:36 PM
What if we had triple or quadruple gears... I'm not trying to be stupid here, I should understand the theory of gear reduction better than I do, but Im just trying to work this out in my mind

FooTemps
09-12-2003, 07:46 PM
actually, that's what my initial theory of what the ULT was going to be. Gear reduction.

Meph
09-12-2003, 08:36 PM
I think a spring around the rod and between the sear and frame would actually be a good option. Have it with enough force that it'll assist in the pull-back force. Yet not strong enough to solely push back the sear, so it can reset easily if you release the trigger completely.

speeddemon
09-12-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Meph
I think a spring around the rod and between the sear and frame would actually be a good option. Have it with enough force that it'll assist in the pull-back force. Yet not strong enough to solely push back the sear, so it can reset easily if you release the trigger completely.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97625

billmi
09-12-2003, 09:40 PM
The ULE trigger uses a lever to actuate the on/off (as do all 'mags.)

With a lever you can gain mechanical advantage. Make the length of the arm longer (longer trigger pull) and you can make it lighter. Or, make the length of the arm shorter (shorter trigger pull) and the pull will be heavier.

Mechanical advantage won't give you anything for free - it's all about trading distance for weight, or vise versa.

You can think of a gear as a lever that rotates through 360 degrees of rotation. You won't be able to do anything with the gear mechanical advantage wise that you can't do with the lever.

See you on the field,
-Bill Mills