PDA

View Full Version : I need knee pads, any suggestions?

TigerMan
09-14-2003, 01:08 AM
Well, after playing for basicly the last 2 months every weekend, I'm tired of coming home all sore and beat up. I need some relief. So now I'm looking for pads. I've never had any pads before, so I don't really know where to start. The one thing though I do know is that I want to be able to wear the pads under my pants. So if anybody has some suggestions or recommendations it be helpful. Price really isn't too much of an issue either. Thanks for the help.

FooTemps
09-14-2003, 01:11 AM
I just picked up some good skating pads from the clearnce section at a sports store. They're comfy and take abuse really well. If you're on a low budget then I'd reccomend that.

If you aren't, what are you looking for? Knee and shin or just knees?

TigerMan
09-14-2003, 01:14 AM
Mainly knee, but if it has shin then thats fine. The JT Skinz pads look nice, there whats stuck out the most to me so far.

FooTemps
09-14-2003, 01:22 AM
from what I heard from heftylefty, he said that the ankles are really tight and hurt after a while.

abaez
09-14-2003, 01:29 AM
http://www.lightfighter.com/item.html?PRID=442150

Best kneepads ever. Make sure to get the buckle ones, and when you put them on cross the buckles. They will not slip or move from your knees ALL day, best thing I've ever done for my knees.

Steelrat
09-14-2003, 01:39 AM
DYE core are great. Just remember DYE sizes run small, so buy larger than you think you need.

ZAust
09-14-2003, 03:06 AM
i just bought some work knee pads from ace. they work fine.

sps16
09-14-2003, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by ZAust
i just bought some work knee pads from ace. they work fine.
ditto

LeatherPants
09-14-2003, 03:57 AM
Here's my input.

JT Skinz- Good if you play back since you can get bounces off you knees and shins. But the padding is thin and if you are a heavy slider not that great. They are also long and you get hot.

Dye Core- Just knee pads but the damn things are about 3/4 of an inch thick. You can jump off a wall on to your knees. Doesn't protect you shins though. But they do feel like knee braces which can be good or bad. And yes they do run small.

Redz Knee/Shin guards- I use these. They are thick and are like carpet. I think they actually have kevlar I may be mistaken. The have velcro straps so you can put them on w/o taking your shoes off or you can put them outside your pants. They are bulky and sometimes can slide.

USAF-Flyboy with a Mag
09-14-2003, 04:30 AM
I have JT Skinz...they get bounces, but I think their construction lacks to be desired. They fall apart realitively quick. I'd say go with the Dye's; they seem to hold up pretty well

JKW
09-14-2003, 09:34 AM
The best knee pads in the world are made by Pro Designed. Primarily built for, and used by pro skaters, bikers, and law enforcement, they are often a little bulky for paintball though. But there is a solution. "Wild Bill", the owner, will completely custom make a set of pads to fit your needs. For my pads, we took the thinnest padding he had (still thicker than many pads), added his "open backed system"(to allow easy removal without taking off my shoes), added security straps top and bottom, used black hard caps in place of their trademark white ones, and used custom patterned fabric to set them off a little.
The pads are made with no Codura or nylon, and feel good against the skin since they do not chafe and are breathable. I wear mine in Houston's 100 degree heat with Dye Hybrid shorts and feel no need to take them off between games. I now routinely slam on to my 41 year old knees and slide into bunkers with no worry, and will never play another game without them.
The only possible drawbacks I have found do not concern me, but may others. Being truly custom fit to my bare legs (careful measurements were taken), they probably will not fit over pants, and even though they are thinner than most Pro Designed pads, they may be a little bulky to go under some paintball pants. The hard caps will NEVER take a bounce. And, all this customization costs money. All in all, with the protection and comfort they provide though, they are cheap at the price.

-Carnifex-
09-14-2003, 10:45 AM
JKW: Any pics of your pads? They sound interesting.

UltimatePaintballer
09-14-2003, 10:51 AM
i have jt knee and shin pads that work great and look great that im selling. the best offer is 25+shipping the guy is paying...

FutureMagOwner
09-14-2003, 11:35 AM
ive been reading alot about the smokin pants with the built in knee pads and that they are very nice (basically they are put in the shins so any time your resting on your kness when the pants pull up they are in the right spot.

TheDuelist
09-14-2003, 11:40 AM
I've been using the Redz Knee/shin guards for a couple of years now and couldn't be happier. They do slide on occasion but are easy to put on, they are comfortable and provide a ton of protection.

cphilip
09-14-2003, 11:53 AM
...a couple of Maxipads and some duct tape...:D

MarkM
09-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Go to Walmart and buy the Trace combined knee and shin pads...they may have to order them in for you, if you were to find Trace pads in PB shop then they would be around $10 more. Wierd thing with them is you have to buy them individualy but you can get them...no they don't have buckles/straps and yes they have been known to slip a little but never so much as they don't protect and the padding is very good, if you are that set on using straps still buy the Trace and sew velcro onto them.

CoFFeY[NiTrO]
09-14-2003, 12:45 PM
I'm thinking about getting some of these, http://www.lizardskins.com/products/protectshin.html

Smitty2k1
09-14-2003, 01:14 PM
I use my old wrestling knee pads. They are sooooooo nice, gel type, not like hard, gives good bounce when moving around, actully seems to improve my game :)

Recon by Fire
09-14-2003, 01:19 PM
I have some military/SWAT type armored knee pads, you could slide on cement with those babies!

JKW
09-14-2003, 04:29 PM
-Carnifex-,
Here ya go. I took this before I had the chance to use them. They are scratched and dirty now. I was concerned about the durability of the pads at first since the material is so soft. Bill has been doing this for a long time though and has found the fabric holds up fine and they are soooo much more comfortable than the Protec pads I used to wear when carve boarding with my son. Every so often, I close up all the velcro and toss them in the washing machine and the fabric comes out looking new. I can take pics of them in their current, abused state if interested.
http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/16119/p/383915_2192691125792462623_vl.jpg
On kind of a cool side note. My son's copy of Tony Hawk 4 for PS/2, has Hawk pictured on cover with Pro Designed pads prominently displayed. They also show up in the game play I think.
Recon by Fire,
Next time you are at Maxx, ask Matt about crashing down on his knees from crazy heights to test his Pro Designed pads. Whoda thunk Matt has a wild skater background!

i like tictacs
09-14-2003, 04:49 PM
if you end up getting dye pads, beware, they run small.

LeatherPants
09-14-2003, 04:52 PM
If you like wearing your pads under you pants do not get any of the skate/bmx/rollerblade type pads. The reason is these have a hard shell...one reason why they protect so well. But if you wear them under one good slide and you will tear a nice hole right through your pants.

FooTemps
09-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by JKW
-Carnifex-,
Here ya go. I took this before I had the chance to use them. They are scratched and dirty now. I was concerned about the durability of the pads at first since the material is so soft. Bill has been doing this for a long time though and has found the fabric holds up fine and they are soooo much more comfortable than the Protec pads I used to wear when carve boarding with my son. Every so often, I close up all the velcro and toss them in the washing machine and the fabric comes out looking new. I can take pics of them in their current, abused state if interested.
http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/16119/p/383915_2192691125792462623_vl.jpg
On kind of a cool side note. My son's copy of Tony Hawk 4 for PS/2, has Hawk pictured on cover with Pro Designed pads prominently displayed. They also show up in the game play I think.
Recon by Fire,
Next time you are at Maxx, ask Matt about crashing down on his knees from crazy heights to test his Pro Designed pads. Whoda thunk Matt has a wild skater background!

Do you have a link? How much did they cost?

the_next_guy_
09-14-2003, 05:26 PM
Volleyball kneepads. They aren't hard plastic, and they dont slip.

FutureMagOwner
09-14-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

i think everyone has you set on ignore cphil 4 or 5 posts and no quote of you :)

doc_Zox
09-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Pro Tek makes real deal skating knee pads

i wanted more shin protection and found that Troy Lee Combat pads are a great fit:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/dept/protectivegear.asp

heres a cool tip

buy a set of Baseball Catcher knealing pads and afix them to the shin guard straps

you can shoot all day from a low squat

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=502033&cp=711608.711641.693896&clickid=mainnav_browse_txt&page=3&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family

AlabamaMan
09-14-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by cphilip

LOL phil you take a picture of em, and maybe i'll buy em from you.

Anyway i have volleyball kneepads from Fred Meyer. They work great, although i'm kinda sore today after my tourny.