PDA

View Full Version : Saving Weight

Thumper33
09-14-2003, 05:39 PM
Some people don't care about saving a 1/2 a lb, but I'm also a backpacker, so maybe that's where it comes from. I guess I've always seen things in action sports that weight is only a disadvantage. Other people think that "I can lose a few pounds just taking a crap, so what's the big deal." To each his own... but I thought I'd share this for those that do care.

This is all my recent research since doing my X-valve / ULE / elcd conversion on my RT Pro. I'm very happy with the way it all works together and it's VERY light compared to where I started. Right now I have a Classic RT, and RT Pro. Here is a list of the weights and all the accessories to help you know what you'd be saving by going to these products.

RT Classic no barrel - 3lb 8.9 oz
RT Pro no barrel - 3lb .8oz

Different Accessories:

RT Pro Stainless body - 8.0 oz
ULE Body - 4.0 oz
RT Pro Stainless Valve - 12.2 oz
X-Valve - 8.5 oz
14" Boomstick - 10.6 oz
14" Ultralite - 4.7 oz
Evolution II Hopper - 1 lb 3.9 oz
Standard Viewloader 200 Hopper - 5.1 oz

FYI: There are 16 oz in a lb. To convert oz to lbs, devide by 16. Example: 4 oz = .25 lbs (4/16=.25) If you want to go the other way multiply by 16. Example: 3 lb = 48 oz (3*16=48).

Basically, I saved 4 oz by going to the ULE body and 3.7 oz by going to the X-valve. I also went from a boomstick to a ultralite which saved me another 5.9 oz. This means I saved a total of 13.6 oz or .85 lbs.

Considering that the marker used to weigh 3 lb 14.4 oz (62.4 oz) and I saved 13.6 oz. I shaved off 21.8% (percent difference equation is: (62.4-13.6)/62.4) of the weight of the gun with these mods. :D Did I mention that I'm an engineer too?

I'm still trying to figure out if I can get away with a lighter hopper. Obviously the egg is not the lightest, but it does do it's job very well for it's weight. I'm considering a Ricochet AK, but haven't had a chance to see if it'll keep up in all situations. So far the egg has, so I have a hard time complaining with it. My one gripe with the egg is that it seems to make the setup even more back heavy since it's load tube is in the very front. The advantage of this is that it keeps the hopper as far back and out of hopper hit trouble as possible. I don't have a Ricochet AK to compare the weights yet so maybe it's not that much lighter, but it does look cooler too :cool:, and appears to be lighter based on size.

speeddemon
09-14-2003, 06:00 PM
Lithium batteries will save some weight too, although more expensive.