PDA

View Full Version : put your $$$ where your mouth is (music)

MantisMag
09-14-2003, 07:32 PM
ok so the music industry is slashing prices. a lot of you say you don't buy music because the prices are too inflated. well are you going to buy any more now. with a suggested retail price of $12.98, sale prices at places like target and best buy will probably be $10-11. so are you gonna buy? or are you all talk?

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA9PGOV5KD.html

also interesting reading is how unhappy some artists are with the riaa's tactics
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/0903/11rocked.html?urac=n&urvf=10635785336350.8977453748101738

FalconGuy016
09-14-2003, 07:35 PM
Id buy if I wanted the cd. Id prefer a quality (pay) online mp3 service however

Python14
09-14-2003, 07:40 PM
no. I won't. I didn't mind pay $18 for a CD, when it was worth my $18. However, most of the time it wasn't worth my $18, and it's not worth $11 either.

I will buy CDs when they start improving the quality of the music instead of spitting out this trash

MantisMag
09-14-2003, 08:01 PM
personally, i'm still going to keep downloading and listening before i buy. but i just lowered the number of songs that have to be good before i buy it.

einhander619
09-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Screw record stores. I don't care what the big labels do, I'm still not buying their crap, which it most definitely is. Screw radio, too. If I hear of a business advertising on radio, I will never do business with them. I'll look them up in the phone book and find another store that does it better. The RIAA and the other big names in music need to realize that people are <B>*POOF*</B> pissed, and won't be treated like this. I support my favorite artists the real way: by going to their shows. CDs are maybe 7-8 bucks a piece there, and the bands sees way more money then if you went down to some big store and bought it.

<B>*Warning: No Cussing*</B> -Miscue

gamarada717
09-14-2003, 10:18 PM

Cd prices have always been around 12 bucks here....I don't know where you guys are....

mikey101
09-14-2003, 10:27 PM
I know i'm not gonna be spending money on CD's..

InfinatyBPS
09-14-2003, 10:53 PM
Never spent money on CD's never will... I almost was tempted to buy the new White Stripes CD, and I'm glad I didn't waste my $12-$20, there were only 3 songs out of like 15 that I liked, who would have cared about my happiness with what I bought, not the record companys. Screw them. I was realy going to go to the White Stripes concert but my parents made me goto my uncle's house in San Lorenzo that day.

PyRo
09-15-2003, 12:44 AM
Buy used CD's on ebay for $5-$8 :) as long as there used and not sold as new they're most likely not bootleg. Then if you still want to "liberate" (you cannot own music like the evil record companies are trying to do) the music, make a copy and sell it again, that way you only pay the shipping price of $1.50-4 per cd :)

Next time you download or copy a cd just think of it as liberating, not stealing :) Then again if your not a communist stealing it is.

Ov3rmind
09-15-2003, 01:26 AM
Just sample from the CD before you buy, that's all there is too it. I've been buying all my CDs for $9-$13 dollars for a while now. I like having each solid album my favorite bands put out, the songs are all organized to flow together and you get some cool little doo hickeys with the CD some times. however, I do not support getting your music for free, because I can tell you, it costed more than "free" for your favorite bands to make them.

Oh yes, and not all musicians are as rich as you make them out to be. Without CDs, how would your favorite bands ever get big?

MantisMag
09-15-2003, 08:47 AM
CDs don't make you big. radio and tv does. who buys a cd of someone they've never heard of? and in actuality if the riaa is on your case over thier music then the band most likely didn't pay anything to make the cd. some company did. that's why the artists see so little of the money from cd sales. they didn't front any money and there's too many other people that need to get paid. that still doesn't mean you should steal music. those people do need to get paid too. studios cost money. so does the crew to work them. talent scouts need to get paid. and there's the promoters and the advertisers. and who's going to pay for that multimillion dollar music video? then of course there's the execs. those we could do with a lot fewer of. the whole point is that if you ever want to hear your favorite artists outside of concerts then you have to buy the music. if you want to hear new music that's any good. buy stuff that's good. if the riaa can sell just as much crap as they can gold which do you think they're going to produce?

Eric Cartman
09-15-2003, 10:43 AM
I'll go out and buy more (it's my bread and butter after all, so I support the initiative). This seems like a make or break move by the industry to win back some customers (even when the RIAA lawsuits seem to be driving even more away - I know, it's ironic). There's plenty of legitimate artist and label sites where you can sample music before you buy it. If you only like three songs from an album, then just buy those three tracks online, if you like the whole disc and feel it's worthwhile, then go into a store and buy it. You have to buy music to support music.

you cannot own music like the evil record companies are trying to do
No? What about books or other intellectual property? If you wrote a fantastic epic novel on your computer and someone managed to hack into your computer and "liberate" your work, then they spread it all over the internet and you didn't get a red cent out of it, would you feel that something had been stolen from you? Something taht you owned? I sure as hell would. Intellectual property is property, even if it's not a physical thing, and property can and is stolen frequently. Most people (myself included) are pissed at Smart Parts for expanding patents to cover other people's ideas. It's not quite the same, but there are definitely similarities.

There will always be people who take things without paying. There will always be illegal downloaders. There is a very obvious reason to do these things, why pay when you can get it for free? While I don't condone this behaviour, I do understand it. What I don't understand is that there seem to be a lot of people who won't even acknowledge that it's wrong. You may not feel any remorse for the people you are screwing over, but you should at least have the cojones to stand up and admit that what you are doing is wrong and that you just don't care about the consequences.

Argue semantics all you want, people who illegaly download music or software or anything that they don't own the copyright to are thieves.

'nuff said.

Lopy-slopy
09-15-2003, 11:03 AM
I can't cuz I have no income, being 15 and jobless, but even if I could I probibly wouldn't. Bands get like no money what so ever from the cd's they make, they make all their money from tours and endorsments. If you wanna support a band, go to their show and buy some of their merch, the band get's more of the money that way.

PyRo
09-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Yes, I understand where the record companies and artists are comming from. We had a huge debate about this in one of our classes, and most people said they felt it was there right to download music (lots of filler, have enough money, etc all the normal excuses). But then the same people said that if they had an album they wouldn't want people downloading it, they would want to be paid for there work. I have to say i'm annoyed that I cannot download music so readially any more, but at the same time I cannot really be angry or hold anything against these people just trying to make some money.
I wasn't serious about the liberating thing, hence the communist comment at the end of the post.
About buying music online, if I buy the songs from online, can I burn them onto a CD, or are they protected either electronically or legally from it?

Albinonewt
09-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by MantisMag
so are you gonna buy? or are you all talk?

How about I never claimed I would be willing to buy CD's no matter what the music industry does.

Frankly, downloading is too convenient a medium to compete with by selling CD's (often full of songs I don't want).

Apple has the right idea.

Eric Cartman
09-15-2003, 11:42 AM
PyRo, you buy 'em and they're yours. You can burn them and copy them. There are limited time downloads where you can download a song for a week and listen to it as many times as you want and then it expires and you're no longer able to play it, but that's just for sampling. I was involved in a small test of some of this technology and it was pretty interesting. Even the copies of the tracks that I burned on a cd became unreadable after they expired. When you buy the full version, it's yours to do with as you will.

A few people have mentioned that artists make very little money from CD sales and they get most of their cash from tours, so to support the artist you should go to see the shows and not bother buying the music. Don't forget that the music industry promotes artists and tours. If artists aren't promoted, then they won't be very well known. Who is going to promote a huge tour (stadium shows) for an unknown artist? If the artists are all stuck doing the local bar scene, there'll be no way for them to break out. There's a lot more involved in this issue than a lot of people seem to realize. Popular music (and by that I mean well known music, not just the pop genre) can not exist without an industry to support it. The industry can not exist without customers to support it. You have to buy music to support music.

Cheers.

MantisMag
09-15-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by PyRo
About buying music online, if I buy the songs from online, can I burn them onto a CD, or are they protected either electronically or legally from it?

from itunes you're allowed to have it on 3 different macs, you can burn as much as you want, and you can use it with your ipod. other services have all different terms of usage. some don't even have the same terms from song to song on the same service.

Ov3rmind
09-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Eric Cartman
A few people have mentioned that artists make very little money from CD sales and they get most of their cash from tours, so to support the artist you should go to see the shows and not bother buying the music. Don't forget that the music industry promotes artists and tours. If artists aren't promoted, then they won't be very well known. Who is going to promote a huge tour (stadium shows) for an unknown artist? If the artists are all stuck doing the local bar scene, there'll be no way for them to break out. There's a lot more involved in this issue than a lot of people seem to realize. Popular music (and by that I mean well known music, not just the pop genre) can not exist without an industry to support it. The industry can not exist without customers to support it. You have to buy music to support music.
*claps hands* Beautifully put. The "Artists don't make any money from CDs" argument is a flawed one, and you did an excellent job showing why they DO need CDs to be successfull.

SpongeBobSquarePants
09-15-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by MantisMag
who buys a cd of someone they've never heard of?

I Do.

I go into best buy very often and buy bands I have never heard. I buy solo on cover apperance, name and the label they came from.

A few bands I have bought right off the shelf were, Kotton mouth Kings, Ill NINO, Dry Kill Logic, etc.

Also I can tell that any from cetrain label is good, take one of my favorites. American Recordings, thats the label system of a down is with also carrys one of my favorite bands I had never heard of until I bought the CD, which is American Head Charge.

So support music, face it we had a good free run while it lasted but it want be free just deal with it.