PDA

View Full Version : You all were warned about your PMs

Webmaster
09-16-2003, 10:23 AM
Well its been a week - and today as we have time we will start to nuke anyones PMs over 100. ALL OF THEM. There is no way to get them back. After we are done - we will be putting up a 100 PM limit on your accounts.

Just on last fair warning for everyone.

Thanks

Crighton
09-16-2003, 10:37 AM
I've had my box cleared twice over the last week. I also had under 100 messages. Anyone else have this happen to them ?

PB_Sniper
09-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Hey, thanks for deleting the important ones. Now this forum sucks. Got a bunch of PM babies. Next time just delete the old ones, not the current ones.

Webmaster
09-16-2003, 01:45 PM
HI,

We can only do a mass delete of a users PM. We cant go in and delete only old or "important" PMs.

You had a week to organize and get them under 100. So - sorry if I dont sound too sympathetic.

And Crighton - we havent deleted anyones PMs before today. If you lost some it might have been an error in the data base - or make sure you are veiwing ALL of your PMS - as the default setting only shows some of them.

Crighton
09-16-2003, 01:50 PM
I only had 3-4 of them so no biggy. Probably happend do to a roll back.

FalconGuy016
09-16-2003, 01:55 PM
There are no messages to display in this folder for this time period.

What? I made sure over and over that was under 100. And now, all my VERY important sales PM's are gone. I need those too at this point because of a sale conflict, now I have no proof of what he said.

Edit: Yes, I deleted ALL my sent pms

manike
09-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Phew! Just made it... from 1000 to 93 PM's ;)

cris8762
09-16-2003, 02:34 PM
i'm almost positive i didnt have 100 PM's, and my WHOLE thing got deleted, so what's up?

i have none.....

RobAGD
09-16-2003, 02:36 PM
Did you delete you sent copies ? did you delete you delivery request folder ?

Did you view ALL you pm's ? Most people on have it set to view current. There is a setting to show from the begining, which will show all your pm's

-Robert

Webmaster
09-16-2003, 03:00 PM
I changed the announcement to reflect the ending of the purge and to give you an update.

Sorry for people who feel thier PMs were wrongly deleted - you didnt follow the instructions - or the computer lied to me when I delted the PM account.

The limit is now 150 PMs - some of you are already at or near that limit - so you may need to remove messages to use your PMs.

The good news is - now with the limit in place - we shouldnt have to mess with it again.

The announcement will stay up for a week just to let everyone know.

Feel free to vent here - but just an FYI:

NO - we cant bring the PMs back - its a permenant thing.

If you thought you were under 100, and your account was deleted, then you missed one of your folders, or didnt view the PMs from the beginning. The ADMIN controls let us see who has how many PMs and sort by number of PMs. We CAN'T decern where they are, what they are about, or how old they are (they are private - remember?)

This is probably the last Ill post on this - but thanks for all those who complied!

Mango
09-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by PB_Sniper
Hey, thanks for deleting the important ones. Now this forum sucks. Got a bunch of PM babies. Next time just delete the old ones, not the current ones.

They have been warning everyone about this for like 2 weeks. :rolleyes: Next time why not pay more attention?

G-Rock
09-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by SprayingMango

They have been warning everyone about this for like 2 weeks. :rolleyes: Next time why not pay more attention?

I agree man, next time freaking pay attention!!!

chris

hitech
09-16-2003, 05:24 PM
Was I the only one who had NEVER deleted a PM? I cleared them out after the warning, but I'm sure I was one of the big violaters that Webby was talking about. I can't be the only one who never bothered to delete any, right?

manike
09-16-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by hitech
Was I the only one who had NEVER deleted a PM? I cleared them out after the warning, but I'm sure I was one of the big violaters that Webby was talking about. I can't be the only one who never bothered to delete any, right?

I was the same pretty much :)

Went from 1000 down to 93 after a bit of a clean out... could probably bring that number down to about 30-40 that I really want to keep, just need time to read through whats left and be ruthless.

*Sigh* Time to delete all my female fan mail... :rolleyes: ;)

AutomagRT1483
09-16-2003, 05:29 PM
I deleted all mine, almost immediately after reading the thread from Webby.

jimmyjobob
09-16-2003, 06:55 PM
what a joke. i delete all but a few necessary pms and you go and clean out the whole box.

did you ever think the implications that it could have. deals pending, contact info. geez not exactly brilliant.

warning people to clean out their pms vs deleting every damn one is a big difference.

rikkter
09-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by jimmyjobob
what a joke. i delete all but a few necessary pms and you go and clean out the whole box.

did you ever think the implications that it could have. deals pending, contact info. geez not exactly brilliant.

warning people to clean out their pms vs deleting every damn one is a big difference.

he gave you PLENTY of time to organize yourself.
whenever i get a VERY important PM, such as contact info, i save it on my computer. it just is much safer. you can't get mad when he had a sticky stating they all were going to be deleted.

Potatoboy
09-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by jimmyjobob

Need I mention that the only way all of your PMs would have been deleted is if you had over 100?

I highly doubt 100 is "a few necessary."

RoadDawg
09-16-2003, 07:16 PM
I was a major violator back when he first posted the warning. So I cleaned them out and so far I'm good to go. Had a good couple pages to sort through but in the end most of them got the chop. I for one like the limit. It's a fair # I.M.O.

billybob_81067
09-16-2003, 09:46 PM
I didn't check on or delete my "Sent Items Folder" because I've never put anything in there... does it automatically save every PM you send in that folder? If it does then that explains why all my PMs got deleted, but if it doesn't automatically save them in there, then I shouldn't have gotten my four PMs that were left deleted. Oh well they were all finished transactions anyways, so no biggie.

:D

Potatoboy
09-16-2003, 09:49 PM
By default, a message is saved to the sent folder, and there's an item created in message tracking to see if it was read or not.

These DO count towards your total.

It was said plainly in the original warning that these must be cleaned out as well.

billybob_81067
09-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Okie dokie... that explains it all then! :D

Xyxyll
09-16-2003, 10:17 PM
Damn... I only had like 86 (I deleted the old unimportant ones). I guess I didn't look at Sent and Tracking. Now that really sucks.

jimmyjobob
09-16-2003, 10:29 PM
i had less than 100 between my inbox and sent, cleared it out a few days ago. oh well.

Strider
09-16-2003, 10:54 PM
SOunds like tracking counts too. That would have bit you if your not carefull... I know mine builds uup quick...

Spaceman613
09-17-2003, 08:10 AM
Dont these people with "pending deals" save info to someplace secure? What would happen with if the server went down?

I know when I have pending sales, deals, and trades. I save the emails to my home computer. Of course, I have customers email me after the initial PM.

Oh, well, I onlky had 20 or so PMs, and they are still there.

Paintchucker
09-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Sounds like everyone is reporting that their's was deleted.

I would like to report that I had 89 saved PM's...

And I still have 89 PM's...

lopxtc
09-17-2003, 01:16 PM
Wow here is a quick easy solution to "my deals pending were deleted" ...

Next time copy and paste the damn information to your hard disk. Open word/word_Pad/excel take your pick of your favorite office/text editor program ... and copy it all to there.

That way you have two copies of pending deals (one on AO, and the other on your hard disk) ... redundency is a good thing. Guessing many of you dont have to worry about backup strategies and and redundant data storage issues.

Sorry my .02 as a former SysAd who had to deal with way too much complaining from users who dont understand finite storage and the costs associated (both $$$ and bandwidth) with it.

Aaron

FutureMagOwner
09-17-2003, 02:24 PM
my heart is bleeding for you people who dont follow directions and then complain about it when they get deleted :rolleyes:

i like tictacs
09-17-2003, 03:05 PM
stop *****ing, you had at least 2 weeks notice of this, and still did nothing about it. kapeesh?

Smitty2k1
09-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Mine all got...
Oh wait I didnt have any to begin wtih :)

madmatt151
09-17-2003, 04:32 PM
Hey is there a way we can find out how many we have in total. I know I can see howmany I have in the inbox, but is there a quick way to tell the total for all folders? Thanks.

Strider
09-17-2003, 09:28 PM
When your on the main forum page, it displays the number of messages in your box.

Add the number of messages being tracked, and voila! I think. :D

FalconGuy016
09-19-2003, 11:12 PM
No this is wrong.

I went to every folder REPEATIDLY, over many days
I am going to go through my process with you all

First, I go to control panel

FalconGuy016
09-19-2003, 11:13 PM
Then I went to the drop down menu and selected private messenging

FalconGuy016
09-19-2003, 11:14 PM
This is where the majority of my PM's were. I had no more than 50-60

FalconGuy016
09-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Click on the drop box...

FalconGuy016
09-19-2003, 11:15 PM
And thats that

FalconGuy016
09-19-2003, 11:18 PM
Now, I like to be reasonable. See, if I had only done the process once, I would have thought to myself "Oh man, I must have done something wrong" and shove it off and just be angry about losing the PM's on my own fault. But I KEPT seeing that thread about checking my PM's, and I kept trimming them down OVER AND OVER until I had practically NO send items in my folder and 50-60 in my pm folder. I lost very valuable PM info that I might need to proove a case (a lost money order, might be some crap flung). Not to mention records of other people

Now, my first question, did I miss somethign and do something wrong?

If thats no, then

<B>WHY:(</B>

Btw, recording PM's to your comptuer is dumb. All it would be is text, you might as well have written it yourself. And why did I bring this back up? Because I just went to my inbox and realized yet again it is empty

LaW
09-19-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by FalconGuy016
Now, I like to be reasonable. See, if I had only done the process once, I would have thought to myself "Oh man, I must have done something wrong" and shove it off and just be angry about losing the PM's on my own fault. But I KEPT seeing that thread about checking my PM's, and I kept trimming them down OVER AND OVER until I had practically NO send items in my folder and 50-60 in my pm folder. I lost very valuable PM info that I might need to proove a case (a lost money order, might be some crap flung). Not to mention records of other people

Now, my first question, did I miss somethign and do something wrong?

If thats no, then

<B>WHY:(</B>

Btw, recording PM's to your comptuer is dumb. All it would be is text, you might as well have written it yourself. And why did I bring this back up? Because I just went to my inbox and realized yet again it is empty

Did you check message tracking folder?