PDA

View Full Version : Delrin Trigger Ideas

ZyperioN
09-16-2003, 04:50 PM
Im setting up to make a custom mag trigger out of delrin. Im working on the design now. I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas on what it should look like, any idea no matter how crazy will be given a chance, be creative!!!

68magOwner
09-16-2003, 05:09 PM
im makin a trigger shaped like a sword myself get it...blade trigger....no?

xen_100
09-16-2003, 05:27 PM
it delrin going to be strong enough? other than just doing it for the heck of it, I dont see enough weight saving here to even bother.

ZyperioN
09-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Delrin is extremely strong, definately strong enough for a trigger, and i wasnt going for just weight but also for smoothness, delrin will have less friction at closer tolerances than an aluminum trigger would when it rubs against the frame.

xen_100
09-16-2003, 06:15 PM
good point. the only thing I would suggest is to mount a small metal plate where the trigger rod hits it. will keep the delrin from getting chewed up from the trigger rod (especially on RTs)

ZyperioN
09-16-2003, 06:21 PM
yeah how would i go about mounting that plate, should i try 2 small set-screws, super-glue? Any ideas?

ZyperioN
09-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Im probably gonna make one without the plate first and if i see any wear then ill cut a new one and put a plate on it.

SIGSays
09-16-2003, 06:24 PM
oil the whole trigger.. lol...

xen_100
09-16-2003, 06:25 PM
ya, that is what I was thinking. you should be able to get a pair 3-40 screws to mount a little piece of SS plate. remember the roller trigger? they had little screws on that to mount the parts.

if it becomes a non-issue, then I guess it wont matter. but it is something to consider.

ZyperioN
09-16-2003, 06:30 PM
yeah i definately wouldnt want the trigger rod scuffing up my beautiful new delrin trigger. Im still looking for designs but i think i've settled on a slightly modified version of the angel's chain trigger. Ill post CAD drawings when i finalize my design. Also how well do you think delrin will laser-cut, i have the choice of either a CNC mill or a CNC laser cutter and since the programming for the laser cutter is far simpler i was leaning towards using that to cut the trigger out of delrin sheet stock.

xen_100
09-16-2003, 09:08 PM
you can try it, but delrin tends to kinda "puff" and melt when it gets hot. so you might end up with a distorted result.

I know it can be milled and lathed. you just have to use a slower speed and keep the heat down.

Carbon
09-16-2003, 09:58 PM
Well heres a basic trigger. The look has more of a utilitarian slant, simple and stupid. It is less Hot-Rodish looking tha most other triggers out there i guess.

JEDI
09-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by ZyperioN
yeah how would i go about mounting that plate, should i try 2 small set-screws, super-glue? Any ideas?

Maybe the plate could have small teeth, the press into the sides of the trigger. You know the metal part of a cigarett lighter? How its just pressed around the top of the plastic.

ZyperioN
09-17-2003, 02:21 PM
good input from everyone, im hoping to try laser cutting them as soon as next week. if *crosses fingers* that works out ill test for wear from the rod, if that becomes a problem ill have to design that plate we speak of.

GoatBoy
09-17-2003, 05:09 PM
How about just making a delrin sleeve of sorts for the contact points of a mag trigger.

Like... my trigger in my intelliframe has a little lateral play, so there's obviously some space in there.

ZyperioN
09-17-2003, 05:36 PM
it'd be extremely difficult to cut something that thin ;)

Kaiser Bob
09-17-2003, 06:05 PM
definitely test the strength of the trigger, ive seen people make triggers out of lexan and plexi, but they snapped upon a direct shot to the trigger.